+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't get to read your post, but got the gist of it. My ds1 just gave his up for his 4th birthday totally of his own accord. We talked to him about it for a year or so in the end!

Ds2 will be 3 in November and isnt ready to give his up. They only have it for naps and bedtime (but I instilled this from the start so no idea how you'd go about it now?)

I don't think there's a problem with a toddler having a dummy at all. Ds1 hasnt even asked for his since he gave them away (for the babies at hospital, he posted them). He was ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard heaps of stories of parent getting the child to give them to Santa at Christmas time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was really lucky with my DS and he easily gave his up on his 2nd birthday.

I know of a friend who's DS loved the Wiggles, so they 'posted' all his dummies to them?

Don't stress yourself out about it. I know of a 5 year old still having a bottle

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow thank you so much! Such good ideas too!

I think DD giving up her dummy's is more about me then her.

The only issue she has with it is her speech (her hearing pretty poor, but her language is good, but her pronunciation is also poor) so I'm insisting on her not having it during the day in hope her pronunciation will improve. (obviously doing regular verbal exercises with her also)

It's mainly me, that doesnt like seeing her suck on it. She's such a BIG girl & the stares we were getting at 18 mnths old were bad enough.

I dont think she's ready to give it up. She understands alot but I don't think shed get the concept of sending them away & remember it IYKWIM.

Last night & today I kept reminding her we'd be sending them to the baby's soon, and by tonight she was yelling when I mentioned it (usually she happily hands over her dummy after nap time but now she's clinging to them)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two words - power struggle. I too have a VERY persistent two year old and she won't give up the dummy for quits! I've tried the whole distract method but caved after and hour of whining and crying. The best advice people gave me was to wait until she is ready. It seems the more we say she shouldn't have it the more she wants it. The funny thing is she only gets it at nap time at daycare but at home she plays us so damn hard that she wants it all the time (cos she knows we hate it). It's funny how they can be so different at home but little angels in the care of others .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The 'fairy godmother' it was supposed to be the 'dummy fairy' but DD got confused 😃, took hers away when she was nearly 3. I'd tried twice before but my DP always caved in. This time I took control and talked about it with DD, and one night we agreed that the fairy would come and take it and leave a present. She left a little pack of stickers (she was a cheap fairy 😃) and she didnt ask for it again. When I was expecting DS my DP said 'no way is he having a dummy' because he reckoned it was stressful taking it away. Not sure what he is on about as I was the one who had to deal with the stress 😁. Needless to say I lasted a week before I gave DS one 😝.