+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Advice with weaning 2yo off dummy pls

2 weeks ago I decided DD was no longer allowed her dummy during the day.

She was sucking it constantly, mumbling around it, mum said every photo she has of DD she has a dummy in etc etc. She's very tall so looks more like a 3yo too. So I took it away and told her it was just for bedtime.

I didn't think shed have many problems with this, as she goes to school 2 days a week, and they only give it to her at nap time & they said she never asks for it.

We've had some good days, & some shocking ones, like today.

Ive never caved, just kept repeating 'only for nap time'.

Today I caved & she's currently sucking on it in the back of the car (long drive w screaming child = dangerous)

I just don't know what to do. I thought the first few days would be hard, then she would get used to it. But she's been all over the place with caring/not caring.

And as I said I've been very firm for the whole 2 weeks, except today, so It can't be due to inconsistency.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    .... She sounds like a persistent 2 year old.. Thats all. My only advise is to start the next 2 weeks over but get rid of it completely. Absolutely NO need for a 2 year old to have it even at nap time... You're just drawing out the agony for yourself.

If you have to, create a story about babies needing dummies and she's a big girl blah blah blah... But get. Rid. Of. It.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd also say get rid of it completely if you can. We replaced dummy with a new storybook at bedtime, to change up the routine, decorated a box for her to put the dummy in (to 'give it to the babies who need it'), a reward, and she was over it within a day or two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go cold turkey. Just stay strong and consistent. It's hard but worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree- cold turkey- gone for good instantaneously- I did this with my 3 yr old after battling the dummy for 3 years... I let him have a dummy for way too long and it became a nightmare in the end. so I got rid of them cold turkey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree I think cold turkey prob works well, even if you have to tell a small fib about where it is going. we just got rid of bottles from our 2 year old after trying to cut them down in the end I gave about 3 or 4 days notice and said you are a big girl now and we have to give your bottles to the bottle fairies for other babies to have and we will drink out of big girls cups. Then on "D DAY" we decorated a mailing box together, packed her bottles away and posted them (into the deep recesses of a cupboard never to be seen again) and thats it. We had no tears no arguments nothing. I think she has asked for a bottle once and we just said no they have gone now but you can have a big girl cup of milk if you like.

Once we've got fully over this the dummy will take the same route. She only has one for bed time though so I hope it wont be too bad.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies/advice.

I agree there is no needed for a 2yo to still have a dummy.

I have serious doubt she'll cope without it though...

I'm picturing us 'packing' them away to 'post' them to the babies and DD snatching them back out of the box & stashing them somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned for bed time and then told DS he was a big boy and no longer needed it. I threw them all in the bin so I had no option but to persevere. Longest 3 days of my life... But to him it became 'what dummy?'... Totally worth it. I started playing bed time music while he still had the dummy do when I removed it he still had his music to signify 'wind down' time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't see the big deal about a dummy at bedtime if it gives her comfort and helps her sleep.
    I would suggest to hide the stray dummies that are in her bed when she gets up and the ones she takes with her out of bed ... As she puts them down scoop them up and in the hiding place ... So there should not actually be any conflict cause you aren't taking them off her.
    When she remembers and starts asking for them ... Instead of saying no their for nap time try distracting her with a toy or activity.

I've done this with both my kids ... Dd still has hers but I really didn't know how I was going to get him to give them up he looooooved them. But he was about 3 and saw a remote control car in the shops he wanted ... I told him wecould use his dummies to buy it ... For about 5 mths when we were at this shopping centre we went and looked at this car and talked about it. One Sunday morning he said he was ready so I gave him a bag he collected all his dummies and we went to the shop and he "bought" it. He only ever asked for his dummies once and he was able to reason that he wanted to take the car back and get his dummies.

Taking dummies away all together aren't a big dealto me ... Dd doesn't have hers during the day anymore because she is really lazy with her talking.

Good luck!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (16-07-2012),Minniemin  (02-09-2016)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My bubba (just turned 3, looks the size of a four yr old) had a dummy up until his third birthday(still has it for naps) He is sensory seeking orally (has sensory processing disorder) but now its beginning to really affect his teeth. And i just couldnt stand the judgement and stares and comments anymore.

Its been a nightmare. My poor guy. We have a necklace with a sensory disc on the end he will use when he needs to calm himself (but he hates it) and other than that, we have just been dealing with scary scary behaviour. It IS getting better tho (close to a month now) when he wakes from a nap he hands it over as aposed to screaming and begging and crying no in the beginning.

I dont know what advice to give. For us at 2 we were more than happy for him to have it... But 3 for us is too old despite his issues.

*hugs* its really hard, i sympathise