+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy30 View Post
    In the last two days I have gotten rid of the dummy from my 5 month old and she is sleeping incredibly well. I really do think the dummy was causing the issues.
    I went cold turkey with the dummy, went in every 5 minutes to reassure her, gave her a cuddle to calm her and it only took 15 minutes of complaining from her.
    It's important to check bub isn't hungry before you embark on getting rid of the dummy. Be strong and consistent. Day sleeps have also improved out of sight since the dummy disappeared.
    Good luck!
    Is that because the dummy was falling out causing her to wake? How do you resettle in the middle of the night?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Oh I thought she was a toddler. What is her day sleeps like? I think you may need to move her bedtime later
    She is a catnapper and has 3-4 30-45min sleeps most days. her last sleep is often around 4 but she is so tired again by 6 we start the bedtime routine around then.

Poppy how did you go about getting rid of the dummy from the start? Its something I have thought about but need a strategy to get me through!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't move the bedtime later! Stick with a time between 6 and 7 otherwise your little one may be too tired.
    I decided to see if the dummy was the culprit that was causing my girl to catnap during the day and have early morning wake ups.
    I made a firm decision to go cold turkey yesterday morning and stuck to my guns. My girl slept for a solid two hours over lunch - no catnaps in sight!
    Last night I prepared myself mentally to be up all night if need be to kick this dummy habit. I put her down at 6.30pm, she cried, I went in after 5 minutes, patted her and cuddled her to calm her, put her down again. She was asleep by 6.45pm. I woke her for her dreamfeed at 10.30pm, she put herself to sleep within 5 mins. She didn't stir until 6.20am, I didn't rush in and she settled herself again until 7.10am! The only thing I've changed is the dummy - it is definitely the culprit for bad sleeps!
    Strategies: prepare yourself, be consistent and strong, go in after 5 mins (cc says go in at longer intervals, I didn't like that), calm bubba, keep lights low/off, stay calm yourself (they can smell fear) and dont be tempted to use the dummy! It's soooo hard but stick to your guns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Poppy, cold turkey might be the next step. Even though its doing my head in, I think I will keep doing what we are doing to move from feeding to sleep for a few more days, but if she still continues to get worse, I think cold turkey will be the way to go! DH is interstate later in the week, so perhaps thats the time to plan to be up all night!

By the way.... is a week too short a time to gauge whether a new method is working???
    Last edited by Ellies Mum; 15-07-2012 at 21:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if things aren't changing within a week, it's a good idea to try something new.
    I also think it's a great idea to start when you're partner is away. My partner was at a bucks night the other night so that's why I tried cold turkey with the dummy. It was just easier, I thought it best that only one of us was bothered by the crying and it helped with consistency.
    Good luck with anything you decide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Go cold turkey on the dummy. Sleep aids (feeding to sleep, dummies) are well known to cause sleep association problems (wakings, problems with self settling). I've known many mothers who have gone cold turkey. First night there's crying, by night 3, bubs are all good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the dummy tip poppy! My ds is 5 months and actually sleeps quite well so far if the dummy falls out. I might wait a few months as dummies are shown to reduce risk if SIDS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds has his last nap from 5-6pm, therefore bedtime is around 8pm. That is why I suggested a later bedtime. Maybe your dd isn't 'ready' for bed time at 6-7. Perhaps you could alter the day so the last nap is around 5pm so bedtime is a tad later.

I use the Heath Services guide which suggests a 630-730pm bedtime starts from around 7 months. Prior to that it might be around 7-8 pm.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 16-07-2012 at 08:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Singa I wouldn't be able to keep her awake too much past 6 if I wanted too! She is often tired by even 5.30. The trouble is keeping her asleep longer than half an hour to an hour and then getting her back down and staying down again (hope that makes sense!)

So I have decided that today was a new day which meant no dummy. Poppy you were right! first sleep no dummy no boob and only about 10min of protesting got her to sleeping for nearly 3 hours!!! (Hasn't had one of those for months). This afternoon was a bit harder she went down the same way but only had 1 cycle and wouldnt go down again. So we fed and played until she waws ready again... this time took about 20min but she is there... finally and I am hoping for at least an hour but being that its late in the day an hour is all I want her to have!!! Anyway.. wish me luck that I can continue this and not give in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck!!