+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I'm pretty cold hearted when it comes to illegal activities I think? A bit of a you do the crime you do your time type person but when that time is done and dusted I'm pretty good as moving on with a few exceptions (child abuse especially).

Otherwise I'm a bleeding heart I always try to see the best in people and the smallest things make me emotional.
    This is me to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Oh, I absolutely believe in consequences for actions, absolutely. I just can always see that there is a reason people do the things they do. The whole looking down on people like they are less than human is what makes me terribly sad.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    Oh, I absolutely believe in consequences for actions, absolutely. I just can always see that there is a reason people do the things they do. The whole looking down on people like they are less than human is what makes me terribly sad.
    I don't think people are less of a person and I can usually understand why people do things.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends . I believe that all humans act negatively out of fear. I also believe that the amount of resilience is very different in a person. For example I'm sure we have all known or read about a person who comes from a really poor background with extreme abuse and has risen above it to become a truly great person who helps others...there are also people from the same set of circumstances who struggle all their life and are very destructive both to themselves or others.

I believe factors such as family or support from friends, appropriate community resources, a persons faith and a strong personality CAN help to greatly assist with individuals dealing with their issues and to move on with their lives.

For SOME individuals though , nothing can really help them and they always struggle with life.

Then there are those individuals who have had an unremarkable past and still struggle with life .

So I think I am a person who does recognize the factors behind someone's negative behavior....I tend not to get too frustrated with others behavior unless it's people I know well who DO have access to resources and refuse to help themselves and feel sorry for themselves...they do my absolute head in.l

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (15-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep, so many variables. I am just so over the judgement in the world at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmmm not sure but taking my brothers situation as an example. We were brought up the same so I think how are we so different. I have worked hard all my life, I appreciate my family, I am very anti drugs, I have achieved so much in my life. He has never worked, he doesn't appreciate anyone or anything, he is a drug addict, he is violent, he is a thief, he has been in jail, he is having his 8th child yet he doesn't see his oldest 4 at all, he has no respect for anyone. I cannot understand why he has gone down a different path than me and I am not sympathetic after trying to help him for a long time then realizing that I can't unless he wants to help himself which he doesn't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrl View Post
    Yes and no.

I had a less than ideal youth/young adulthood so I can empathise and sympathise but I also have little patience with people who continually complain but do nothing to try and better their situation, or for people who don't recognize that it's their choices that led them to right now.

There are social, economic and environmental reasons for people doing what they do but ultimately it's the decisions they make that shape their future
    This ^ I lose patience pretty quickly when I hear/see people making excuses for all their behavour and no effort to take action. I stopped allowing my past experiences 'decide' for me and make my own choices too.

I have a lot of empathy for people who deal wth genuine hardship and discrimination. Working in a community with a fair number of aboriginals my heart breaks almost daily at the challenging attitudes they face. My travels have also opened my mind to just how good we have it and I think this has helped me to 'move on' from my own negative experiences as it gives them perspective.

I recall once when I was discussing with someone how I didn't understand why a mutual friend was so screwed up from their childhood which, when compared to mine, was all sun and roses. I felt like it was all being used as an excuse for their drug use etc etc. But the other person explained something to me which stuck. We all only have our own experience of pain (emotional and physical), eg. If you have never broken a bone you may scream in pain at a twisted ankle, but if you've had limb crushed in the past, you might break a bone and barely flinch. Similarly with negative life experiences. It helped me to have a bit more empathy as to why people react the way they do to experiences which, in my opinion, aren't that bad/bad enough to qualify such a big/lasting reaction. It's often because that really is the worst thing they have ever experienced, so for them it is just as 'painful' as my worst thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am very black and white for crimes against the person and drug use. I will not tolerate drug use of any kind in/near my life.

On deeper thinking - I'm black and white for most things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I am very black and white for crimes against the person and drug use. I will not tolerate drug use of any kind in/near my life.

On deeper thinking - I'm black and white for most things.
    Can it possibly be black and white though? What if it was someone in your family, or one of your own children?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am very empathetic. Always have been. There are a few exceptions when it comes to really serious stuff like rape and child abuse but I try really hard to see all sides.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (17-07-2012)