+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Do you find it easy or hard to...

sympathise/empathise with people who for whatever reason, make bad/less than ideal/however you want to put it, choices - criminal activity, drug addiction, etc?

I have noticed in alot of threads lately there seems to be either people who look for the reasons behind why people do the things they do OR peope who take a more hardlined approach.

Do you think sometimes it depends how much you have been through in your own life? If you have experienced adversity in your own life are you more likely to sympathise with others or the other way around? Those who take the hardline, why?

I hope this makes sense!
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 14-07-2012 at 20:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends what it is really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I'm a 'bleeding heart' lol. I get it from my Dad, he always looks for WHY people behave the way they do, then I studied sociology at uni and that looks a lot at how a lot of decisions we make are based on things out of our control like 'nurture', socio-economic background etc. Note- we control our decisions, but often we don't control the factors that contribute to those choices.

I do think our own experiences also affect the way we think about these things. I often hear people say things like 'if they really tried/wanted to change they could', or 'you can be/do anything if you put your mind to it', and I just think 'you've never been to a remote Aboriginal community.' I haven't hard a lot of hardship in my life personally, I've been blessed with the most amazing upbringing ever, but I've seen a lot of hardship around me, and I believe this has really affected how I see the world.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (14-07-2012),MissMuppet  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes I'm
    a 'bleeding heart' lol. I get it from my Dad, he always looks for WHY people behave the way they do, then I studied sociology at uni and that looks a lot at how a lot of decisions we make are based on things out of our control like 'nurture', socio-economic background etc. Note- we control our decisions, but often we don't control the factors that contribute to those choices.
    Perfectly said, you have a great way with words. This is how I feel too. Nothing is ever black or white.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes I find most things easy to sympathise with.

I think it partly my upbringing and partly my own experiences.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You seem to be pondering a lot of life's big questions lately! I assume things related to your life experiences etc. Are you reflecting a bit lately?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (14-07-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I sympathise/empathise with ppl TOO MUCH - I can be in tears thinking about someone else's experience, I have always been like this.

I remembering crying for about a week non stop when I was about 8yrs old. Growing up and experiencing adult grief I realise it was exactly the same feeling, however in this instance I had been thinking about how our family dog would feel when it one days dies and what it would experience crossing over (she was only a puppy we had got her the week before).

I don't know if its my experiences/upbringing that makes me this way or if its just how I am programmed - perhaps its a combination of both?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (14-07-2012),MissMuppet  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    You seem to be pondering a lot of life's big questions lately! I assume things related to your life experiences etc. Are you reflecting a bit lately?
    Yes, I think I am going through some kind of midlife crisis at 34! Am at a bit of a cross roads I guess you could say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I sympathise/empathise with ppl TOO MUCH - I can be in tears thinking about someone else's experience, I have always been like this.

I remembering crying for about a week non stop when I was about 8yrs old. Growing up and experiencing adult grief I realise it was exactly the same feeling, however in this instance I had been thinking about how our family dog would feel when it one days dies and what it would experience crossing over (she was only a puppy we had got her the week before).

I don't know if its my experiences/upbringing that makes me this way or if its just how I am programmed - perhaps its a combination of both?
    I was the same as a kid. I think it must come down to personlity too in some ways?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a pretty "cold hearted" person and find it hard to empathise or show sympathy (or even feel it, let alone show it) for other people's hardships.

This however does not mean I am not tolerant of others and their differences.. Everyone has a story

***Sent from my phone***