+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You have put a great deal of thought in it indeed. I think you have made the right decision to just go with the flow from here on.
    I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that bubs still miraculously turns around over night, but if not, you'll just have to go with the doctors and midwife's advice.
    The bottom line is, you want bubs to arrive safely and in 1 piece. So try your hardest to get the birth you want, but if it doesn't go the way you want, don't think of it as failure. You're doing what is best for you and bubs.

Goodluck tomorrow hun. Looking forward to the good news of a safe arrival

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

mumofbabes  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck for today... Hope everything goes the way of keeping you both safe. Which ever that is. My bub was positioned perfectly then right before delivery turned prosterior. I was induced into an 8 hr labour and bub and I came through just fine so everything can go well in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sending positive birthing vibes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooh Kay!

Thanks for the well wishes and vibe sending.

I'm putting up the birth story for those who are interested but please feel free to stop reading now as it will likely be long and in gross detail.

When I went into the second induction I felt totally different to the week before. I was happy to be there, accepting of where the journey and God had led me, and grateful for the things I mentioned earlier. Particularly for my Dr's willingness to try hard to get the result I wanted with the least amount of intervention that he could (considering his own convictions re: my and baby's health). That week between the first and second attempts really made a difference to me.

The night before I had strong braxton hicks (which if you consider how posterior labours go, could have been the start of labour anyway... but I thought that last week too so maybe not!). But I was at that stage where I couldn't be bothered and just wanted to sleep before the big day. So I'm saying to my body 'body, if you're going to do this JUST DO IT! Otherwise let me sleep please!' But my body didn't listen.

So I go into hospital in the morning and the Dr did an internal. He found my cervix to be too posterior still, but quite thin. No surprises since I knew baby was still posterior and unlikely to push it down until labour began.

So he put some more prostaglandin gel on. Most of the day was uneventful. Me trying to turn baby during the occassional, non painful contractions. But in the afternoon things started escalating to the point where I was having about 4 contractions every 10 mins, although they were not painful but uncomfortable.

I think, given more time this would have been the beginning itself, but after the Dr examined me and found the cervix had changed enough that he could rupture the membrane, he did so. I didn't predict that, thinking 'why would he take further action tonight that could result in him being called in for maybe hours during the night when he works all day at the hospital and clinic'. Silly man. I told him that later and he admitted he didn't think it would be so.

But it was so.

After the membranes ruptured it was full on. Contractions every 2 minutes for about a minute long and getting more and more painful as they went on. I also had pain between contractions (posterior babies! Who'd have 'em!... a lot of us :P ). So after a couple - 3 hours of this (can't remember exact times, tho the hubby probably would) I told the nurse I couldn't handle it any more. She said it was time to go to the labouring room (no kidding) and I could take a bath or shower or have some gas. Of course, I had some gas. Then a shower with gas.

The gas made the contractions managable for a while. The worse part was the unpredictable nature. Sometimes there were double contractions so one would be managable then all of a sudden BAM a full force one comes out of nowhere.

After some amount of time, probably an hour or so, with the pain ever increasing, contractions still about every 2 mins apart, sometimes less, and with pain between contractions, I couldn't handle the pain even with the gas. The midwife did an internal and found me to be 5-6cms. I was so relieved! But still needed something to keep me in there and not beg for an epidural. So I got a shot of morphine. I was wishing by now it would just make me pass out! No such luck. The morphine just made the contractions manageable again. I'm glad about how it worked out in hindsight. My pain threshold is not great. I know morphine isn't a great option considering it passes to baby, but so glad I had it. The gas, then the morphine, made it so it was just manageable. Still ridiculously uncomfortable and painful, but manageable. Still I kept saying "I can't do this anymore!" but all the while thinking "shut up wimp, it won't last forever!" ha!

It wasn't long after the morphine shot that I had the urge to push and the midwife called the Dr and told me if I needed to push I could push. But the urge didn't seem that strong yet so I didn't do it much. When the Dr turned up and checked me it was pretty much time to get it moving, but he said something about the cervix blah blah blah. Meaning it wasn't perfect, but push anyway. I assume it was because baby was posterior and wasn't applying the pressure evenly like an anterior baby. But he said push so I pushed. For a long time. In fact the hubby tells me it was for 3 hours all up but for some of that I stopped and changed positions a lot and tried to go through some more contractions hoping it would help something or other (I dunno what the Dr was saying! But he told me if the urge wasn't too strong, to just work through more contractions). So I did that for a while. Sitting was by far the best. Even though by now the morphine seemed to have been wearing off and most of the time I was thinking about overdosing on gas thinking that if I passed out then they'd all figure out how to get the baby out of me and I wouldn't have to worry about it (!!). But miraculously, sitting on the toilet meant I could work through contractions without gas or anything and it wasn't so bad at all. I should have just sat on the loo the whole time! It still wasn't a walk in the park, but much better. Especially with the constant pain part.

Aaanyway, I just wanted the baby out of me. I kept saying 'will we try again??' and the Dr said 'wait for another contraction' or something. Meanwhile I'm up on the bed, knees OHMYGOSH NO IT HURT! Back OMG NO IT HURT MORE! All fours, OMG NO! CAN'T I HAVE THIS BABY ON THE TOILET?! Every time I moved to a new position it felt like it hurt more. I dunno how but eventually I got up on my back or side, can't remember, and started pushing again.

Then the Dr says...

'With all your pushing, baby isn't really moving enough. We're going to have to use the vacuum.'

Alarm bells in my head! My poor perineum was quivering with fear.

So then came the unpleasant experience of birthing a poo. He said I needed to clear my bowels to make more room for baby to come through. So he assisted me in that. Very unpleasant. I remember saying something about not wanting to poop on the bed but he told me I had to. Then he put a catheter in my bladder to drain it too. Anyone getting an idea about how big this baby is yet?

He put a canula in my wrist (incase I would need something to stop bleeding due to having an assisted delivery). They adjusted the bed and put my legs in the stirrups. (actually they did that before the other bits I think) Meanwhile I'm pushing through contractions. With my bladder and bowels clear, and legs up like that... and with the added incentive of not wanting vacuum and the fear of another 3rd degree tear... I PUSHED HARDER! And baby started moving

So they put the vacuum on hold and I pushed that baby out without assistance.

She was posterior but turned right at the last second to get her head through.

She had a big head. And bigger shoulders. Which got stuck, like my last baby. I felt a 'pop' as they were getting the shoulders out. She had an xray today but she's moving her arm ok so I don't think there's much to worry about.

The Dr did an episiotomy before the head came out, but when the shoulders were stuck I tore. But the deep part of the tear didn't go to my anal sphincter

So....

It sounds like it wasn't a great result... BUT... considering the size of the baby and the fact that she was posterior, to me, it was an amazing result. I'm surprised I escaped so well and without assisted delivery or an epidural.

She was 5.24 kg (11 pound 9 ounces). 55cm long with 38cm head circumference.

Her name is Mirabelle Eden. And she's beautiful. BUT VERY BIG!

(please excuse any gramatical or spelling errors... I'm too tired to proof read)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mumofbabes For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (25-07-2012),Misschief  (25-07-2012)

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been following (stalking ) your thread and waiting to hear!

Congratulations on your bubba . And most of all, well done to you! Such a clever mummy you are . Glad you and bub are doing well, her name is gorgeous. Enjoy those snuggles and feel better soon. Thank you for sharing your story.

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Holy cow!!!! 11 pounds and 9 ounces!THAT is a big girl! Makes me wonder if mum and dad are big and tall

Congratz with getting your natural labour without the vacuum. It might not be perfect in your eyes, but to me you are one very brave woman (I am typing with my legs shut rather tight. I don't EVER want to push out an 11 pounder ).

Hopefully, if you plan on breastfeeding, there are no issues with that either and you can now enjoy those well earned precious first cuddles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Holy moly! 11 pound?!?!

Congrats on the birth of your baby girl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the congratulations. It feels so good to be on the other side of the whole 'delivery' thing. I'm so thankful and happy with how it all went. It wasn't the labour and delivery I dreamily imagined, but against the odds somehow all the boxes were ticked, and it ended up being the experience I needed.

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need."

Breastfeeding is the next challenge. But I'm optimistic Amongst the blood sugar tests, formula, inverted large nipples, nipple shields and supply lines... I think we might just get there in the end this time. Mirabelle is much more enthusiastic than Gwendolyn ever was. Thank goodness!

Again, thank you all for your support. It was a challenge, but it all went so well.
    CHEERS!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mumofbabes For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (27-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woah! Congrats!!! What a big girl! My dd was 4.4kg and she was big. My dd was hungry in hospital and had formula top ups til my milk came in but then was fine. The good thing about big bubs is big stomachs so that they don't need to feed so frequently at first .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yaaaayyyy!!! Congrats!! That's an awesome outcome for a posterior big bubby!! I assume they are doing BSL due to her size? Did you have gestational diabetes at all? Sorry feel free to ignore my questions, middie student in me 😁!

Welcome little (chubby) one!! Your mumma is a super star!