+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Back pain and Braxton hicks are vrry encouraging!!! You might be surprised just how almost ready your body is by Monday!!!

Last Monday I went to hospital to be induced at 39 weeks due to GD. I had had lots of Braxton hicks and back pain over the previous 3 days and was so hoping to go naturally over the weekend. Monday morning saw me 3cm dilated so dr broken my water and left me to see if labour developed on it's own. Alas after a couple of hours only mild contractions were present. Due to my GD I had to be on an insulin infusion so when they connected that up they also gave me syntocin.

My midwife was a women in her mid twenties Stacey and she was great. Even though I was connected to 2 drips and a hr monitor for bubs she helped me be as active as I needed or wanted to be. She also explained about syntocin and it's use in first and subsequent pregnancies. In my hospital the dose of syntocin for second and subsequent pregnancies requiring induction for any reason is half of what is given for first pregnancy as your body has been there before and knows what it is doing as such lol. The aim is to have no more than 4 contractions per 10minutes otherwise you are considered to be overstimulated. The dose of syntocin can be increased 1/2 hrly but mine was done hourly and only twice as my body was getting the hang of things without too much help. They also only check your progress internally every four hours and it was less than that for me when I told them I had to push lol. I had to pant through one contraction while the doctor checked me lol. One minute I'm telling the poor man not to touch me and then I told him to bloody hurry up and check as I didn't want to hurt me or bubs if I wasn't dilated fully. I was dilated enough and next push presented her head and the rest of her came with the second push. VERY QUICK

Second induction was very different from first. I wouldn't say one was worse than the other they were just different. With both I had no pain relief by choice although it was offered. I hate the thought of an epidural so I prayed everything went fine so I wouldn't have to have a csec!!!

I'd be getting a second opinion as your BP is only slightly elevated possibly from stress by the sound of things. Perhaps come to an agreement that you won't got further than 41 weeks...

Best of luck - for natural labour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nelle, thank you for sharing your story. I'm so glad I posted on here as all of the responses have been very encouraging.

And congrats on the birth of your little Emelia!

The fact that you said you had lots of BH and back pain for 3 days and still didn't go into labour naturally has me a bit scared because THIS does NOT feel pleasant at all! I don't know if I could handle it for another 2 days without any result! Ha! Part of the problem is the increased pubic symphysis pain which has started radiating down my thigh bones too. But, although I'm a sook when it comes to pain usually, I am so happy to feel this pain! Knowing that it is perhaps the beginning of the end Never felt so glad to be in pain, what a weird sensation. I just hope it doesn't go on for days and days like yours did. Ouch!

I hope you're enjoying those fleeting early stages with your little baby. They grow up so fast. Take care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had Braxton Hicks from 23 weeks on. Not really a sign of oncoming labour. You might keep an eye for your plug instead and see if bubs is engaged. You'll know from the terrible painful pressure on your pubic bone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so an update in case anyone is wondering...

The sunday was pretty full-on 'false labour' all day then stopped pretty suddenly at 9.30pm. I know that it doesn't mean labour is imminent but it was pretty darn full-on. Misshchief I have been having braxton hicks for last couple of months but nothing like these. They are painful and longer. So I figured even if 'real' labour was not very close at least it must be preparing my cervix and possibly pushing baby down closer.

Monday morning, hospital. Pretty hard to control my disappointment and stress at being there so my BP showed pretty high first up. The Dr did an internal exam and to my delight but surprise my cervix was still posterior and inaccesible. So he applied gel and we waited. Some pain and uncomfortable contractions, but nothing regular for any length of time. Just discomfort for hours. Much like the day before but more so.

He came back in the evening and did exam. It was thinning but STILL posterior. So more gel. Then lots of strong, regular contractions. Starting thinking 'this is it' then they would die down again. Continuing and increasing the discomfort but not in a regular pattern. So I was given panadol and sleeping pill and heat pack and managed 4 hours total of broken sleep through the night.

I was convinced by now that baby had engaged. The pressure and constant pain through pelvis, pubic bone, pelvic floor, even intense round ligament pain in groin, surely must mean baby was engaged.

This morning the internal exam showed.... still not engaged, cervix still posterior. Ha! Stubborn baby. Hard to believe all the pain and discomfort has done so little. Damn. But on the good side, the Dr heard my plea and let me come home! He didn't examine me again but said if I hadn't gone into labour by lunch time I could go home because through the last day and half in hospital my BP has been fine (apart from the first, freaking-out one). I have to go back in the morning for a CTG and BP test but if that's normal I will be able to go back home for another day. I'm hoping they continue this every day until I go spontaneously and that that will happen soon, coz this 'false' labour for 3 days is really exhausting. Hoping to get lots of rest at home while I can.

So that's the story so far. Really glad the Dr let me go, but I guess he couldn't continue if he couldn't get the hook in anyway! Although, he could have examined me again this evening to determine but I think he was being kind and honouring my wishes, while my BP is ok.

This just happens to some people I guess, and that's fine. But the only thing that concerns me is maybe baby is in an unfavourable position hence why it's not engaging or causing full labour. They say contractions cause baby to engage, but I've had so so many of them, and painful ones too, so maybe babe is a bit misaligned or something. Either that or stubborn and isn't budging until darn good and ready. I respect that. Meanwhile I'll do some 'spinning babies' exercises to get baby in position. That and rest. A lot. So tired.

The lower back, pelvis, pubic, groin pain is constant. Worse during contractions but always there and worse when laying. I'm NOT looking foward to this being worse still when baby finally engages. My dream of a 'normal' labour where the pain lasts only during a contraction seems out of reach, but that's ok. We'll deal with it. It's still better than a syntocinon labour with CTG confining you to bed. Is that just a dream anyway? Do you all labour with some constant pain? Maybe my sources are just lucky women...

Please come soon baby because syntocinon will still be our fate if you go too far overdue anyway!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mumofbabes For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (17-07-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Glad your doing well

Have you thought of seeing a chiro who does the Webster technique to help with bubs positioning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a hard one! I would definately start with a second opinion though just to reassure that it is something that should be done. I was also induced and I hope NEVER again!!!!! I was in labour for 3 days with contractions but stayed at 2cm dialated till they upted my drip bigtime, the the contractions were so unbearably painful and sudden I ended up asking for an epidural. I had to push for 2 hrs and she still had to get vacuumed outwhich in turn tore me to shreads. She was like yours and also had a a very low apgar scale and wasn't breathing so was on oxygen for what felt like forever, I was terrified! I am now 26 weeks pregnant with #2 and will do anything in my power to not be induced again. I was induced my first time as I was so overdue

Thanks
    Reviews
    If bubs wont turn into a favourable position now and during further induction(if baby spinning fails), what are your options?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thermolicious - Thank you. And no, I don't think that's an option where I live. Small country town.

Blondi - I feel for you. Take heart in the facts that a second induction is usually better than the first, and also that you're less likely to go over due with your second and subsequent babies than the first. Try to relax about it as much as you can, because stress is counter productive. Just don't relax to the point of reclining a lot! That's what has caused my baby to settle posterior and that is known to cause baby to go overdue too.

Misschief - Since up to 87% of babies in posterior position will correct the position during labour (especially if you use the right labouring positions) then I think I'll take those odds. As long as baby is ok and BP remains fine I will wait for labour to start with baby still posterior anyway and hopefully he/she will turn then. If not, or its taking a really long time and I'm exhausted and think that intervention will be necessary, I will request a c-section rather than risk the tear and trauma to baby of epidural and assisted delivery and possibly getting stuck anyway. I will discuss it with the staff in early labour or in a check up so it comes as no surprise to them.

What do you think I should do? What would you do?

Thanks everyone for the continued input.

I'm 40+5 today. About to go to the hospital now for the check. Fingers crossed for good BP. Then I can come home and keep crawling around or doing knee chest position to get baby to move. It's kind of exhausting!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bummer well I had 2 posterior labours, they both turned before birth I attribute this to my ability to move instinctively during labor I think you said you have had a look at the spinning babies website?

Some good tips here for turning bub http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I wouldn't know what to do hun. I think everyone's situation is unique. I am just wondering what the options are that they gave you in worst case scenario.
    You're doing fabulously right now. 40 +5 wasn't something you expected in the first place, so I think the big guy up there ^^ might be giving you what you want. Will be keeping fingers and toes crossed for you xx