I have been struggling over the last few days with the fact that I will be induced on monday. My first pregnancy ended in an induction at 38 weeks due to high BP. I had been on BP meds throughout the whole pregnancy and it just escalated toward the end so they induced me early. I swore I would do everything in my power to not end the same way in another pregnancy!
So now I'm 40 weeks (today) with pregnancy number 2. Before I fell pregnant I lost weight and my BP was fine all through this pregnancy without any medication. A couple of months ago I became aware that if it was going to get high I would need to do something to keep it under control, because I so desperately wanted a spontaneous, natural labour. So I reduced salt and sugar intake, and I rested. Slowed right down on house work and just was generally lazy a lot! Also, I have had Pubic Symphysis Diastasis (bad pubic bone pain) so that made it easier to convince myself to keep off my feet.
So a couple weeks ago my BP started elevating (140/93 iirc). The Dr reacted strongly. He put me in hospital and had liver and kidney blood tests taken, as well as the protein in urine test a few times while I was in hospital for a day. All tests were negative, so no pre-eclampsia. My BP went down over night in hospital til it was 115/70 in the morning. So he let me go home but I had to see him every 3-4 days after that to keep an eye on it. Every time I went it was borderline. Like 135-140 / 85-88. For me, a higher top number is normal and I was told as long as it didn't go above 150, for me, that is ok (by a specialist OB I had to see one time regarding management of my previous 3rd degree tear... anyway...). In total, over the last few weeks, it has only been at or over 140/90 twice, and even when over it was only slightly. But my Dr is reluctant to let me go spontaneously so I'm booked in for an induction on monday morning.
I slipped into depression for a couple of days despite my best efforts to remain positive. It felt just like those day 3 baby blues where EVERYTHING makes you cry and life feels dull and worthless. I recognised it for what it was and dragged myself out of it, finally coming to terms with the fact that despite my best efforts I would be induced again.
One of the reasons I'm so reluctant is that it will increase the risk of assisted delivery (and of having an epidural) which increase the risk of another 3rd or 4th degree tear, which may have bad consequences the second time. There's a chance bowel control after 2 tears is great reduced.
So, YES, I have come to terms with it. That's the only way to move forward and give myself the best chance at a somewhat natural labour (because tension and fear will only make it worse). The only part I am having a hard time letting go is the fact that, logically, I can't bring myself to agree with the Dr. It has been borderline high, yes. But I wouldn't call those readings cause for induction. I have to trust the Dr with this, and I'm trying. But the logic thing still niggles.
Am I being unreasonable? If the only symptom is slightly high BP do you think that is justification enough to warrant an induction? My internal exam showed, at the start of the week, that my cervix was still posterior and hadn't effaced or diated at all. Meaning... my body probably isn't ready yet.
I want to feel completely at ease with his decision, and if i don't I want to be able to put my case forward convincingly on monday morning. Meaning, if the gel doesn't start labour and my BP is ok, to ask if he will let me go home for a few days and wait for my body to ready itself.
Just FYI - last induction resulted in a perfectly healthy, beautiful girl. But to get there I had an epidural. She had the cord around her neck and it was cut while her head was out, because her SHOULDERS got stuck. Resulting in reduced oxygen. She came out not breathing and low APGAR so those few moments with her on the pediatrician's table felt like forever, waiting for that cry. I tore when they were trying to get her shoulders out. 3rd degree. Also, she didn't respond to the breast at all. I guess due to the epidural and the traumatic delivery. I ended up expressing milk for 12 months because despite trying, she never did attach to the breast.
I know this was so long and boring, but I'm really reaching out to find opinions on whether I should just accept and move on or whether I should potentially upset the peace and realy push to not have the syntocinon drip IF my BP remains reasonable. Please advise...