+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bebehvala View Post
    In Europe they have machines that accept them and give you cash at local shops and servos etc. it's really very simple. You throw em in your recycling bags when you go to do shopping. You get your refund and then your bags are empty to take your shopping home.
    So what happens if you shop online?

I find shopping hard enough shopping with 3 kids without having to drag 4 bags of recycling to the shops with me stand there and feed them into a machine..though if it's kid friendly I'm sure the kids would love to do it..still sounds like a pita though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had this in SA for some time. I believe it is actually working very well in terms of reducing roadside litter etc. I was reading some research on this the other day but can't find it now - I'll go have a hunt around and post back if I can find it. Friends do save up all the bottles etc and take them back and get something like $200 but its not convenient if you dont have anywhere to store them or a trailer to transport them. Most councils have enforced recycling here with their bin system, which is great (eg the recycling bin is huge and the rubbish bin small so you have to put your containers in the recylcling or they wont fit!)

Unfortunately there is a question that some retailers are 'gouging' - eg the price increase should be 10c so they put the price up 25. But SA consumers get ripped off in a lot of things in the way we are taxed even though our wages are comparitively lower.

We also have the plastic bag legislation which I personally believe is a good idea - although the green bags have to be used quite a number of times each to make up for the increased resources used in producing them. But I always put groceries in my backpack anyway even before the plastic bag leg. came in.

I commend the government for what they are doing but think they need to protect consumers from price gouging by retailers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post

They would be better off doing the filtered water that some areas do and encouraging re-filling of your water bottle while out. People don't go walking around with a 2L or 3L bottle of milk or juice either.
    That is a good idea too

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Love how they mentioned beer would go up.....twice! Yet milk only gets a mention once.