+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's very common in parts of Europe, no biggie IMO.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bebehvala For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleB View Post
    Um no. Our local Woollies has this too.

Would that mean Council stop collecting recycling bins because I already pay for this service in my rates. So I don't see why I should be taxed to buy things (and I bet they'd put the GST on top of the tax too) when I'm essentially already paying for a recycling service.
    Um ok. We still have recycling bins at home as well as the large glass collection containers, as you still need to recycle plastics, paper and cardboard
    The current recycling service is obviously not working as otherwise the government wouldn't be looking at other ways to force people to recycle.

And yes, it is very common in Europe and no it is no biggie BUT it works effectively and that is what I was saying.

I find this tax ridiculous as they are punishing the good for the bad again. Just like with other environmental taxes such as the carbon tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't get it, maybe I read it wrong but can someone explain how it would affect low and high income earners differently? I thought thr tax was on the bottles you buy but then it said something about $306 on average a year, more for high income and less for low income? Or am i reading it wrong!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    This is already in place in Canberra, it's supposed to be plastic bag 'free'. if you forget your own bags, you have to buy one at most places. Same with Adelaide I think.
    Yes, pity its not nation wide

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    They seem to basically be bringing back an old scheme, the 10c refund used to exist and now theyre bringing it back.

It still does exist in s.a as far as i know

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Yes and it's ABOUT BLOODY TIME! :-) Remember the good old days when we used to roam the streets and Plough through the rubbish looking for cans to take to the recycle depot! Lol

***Sent from my phone***

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have this in SA - it works well. It's only on small containers which people might use when away from home... so soft drink cans/small bottles, beer bottles, small cartons of flavoured milk etc. It means those things which people would otherwise throw away/litter get recycled. Even if you put them in a bin when you're out and about, people collect them to get the 10 cents.

None of the items which have it are necessary, and none are especially good value...so if you can afford to purchase the products with the 10cent refund, you can certainly afford the extra 10 cents.

I do wish people would stop referring to everything as a tax.... even the "carbon tax" is NOT a tax! (Whether you agree or disagree with it is irrelevant... it's an emissions trading scheme, which is quite a different thing).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (14-07-2012),MsMummy  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a PP said you know what I really want them to do, is introduce recycle bins in EVERY single shopping centre.. How many cans and bottles in the food courts go into general waste.

Here's a saying I love "Why do we use plastic that's designed to last forever on 6 minute microwave dinners?"... It boggles the mind doesn't it

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Um ok. We still have recycling bins at home as well as the large glass collection containers, as you still need to recycle plastics, paper and cardboard
    So you have to go somewhere to drop the plastic/glass bottles off and only paper, other plastics etc go in your recycling bin? Or someone comes to collect the bottles?

I just don't think a lot of people would go out of their way to return a bottle if they had a recycling bin at their door. Particularly if other plastics were still going in the household recycling bin. I would be like "Pfft it's ten cents" knowing that at the recycling centre it would be pulled out of the waste and set aside to go to the little plastics/glass return bottles place. Yes I know that ten cents quickly adds up but that's why I don't agree with imposing the tax in the first place.

Why is it only drinking bottles though? What about all the condiments and spreads that come in glass/plastic bottles?

I just think it's a waste of a tax to be imposed as would you get the full 10c back? I doubt it, so why the extra effort.

My SD has done a small unit on recycling every year at school so far and Council have all fancy flyers etc to get them interested in recycling. Most people I know do the right thing anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I don't get it, maybe I read it wrong but can someone explain how it would affect low and high income earners differently? I thought thr tax was on the bottles you buy but then it said something about $306 on average a year, more for high income and less for low income? Or am i reading it wrong!?
    I assume their research shows that higher inome earners tend to consume more bottled beverages. I can't think of anything else offhand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleB View Post
    Why is it only drinking bottles though? What about all the condiments and spreads that come in glass/plastic bottles?
    Because, for the most part, people don't walk around eating condiments/spreads from jars in public.
    The point isn't to encourage people to recycle at home where they already have recycling bins, but to ensure that businesses/individuals will go to the effort of recycling things that would otherwise be thrown away.