+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    while I also vigilantly recycle, I don't think everyone does. but, yeah, it is more onerous for those of us already recycling.

From what I read it's beverages only, including milk. But you could buy milk in a carton, I guess, anyway, although I assume it's cheaper in a container (I buy soy milk so not sure on pricing structure of milk).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I figure people who don't bother recycling or worse, litter their rubbish, are very unlikely to return their empty bottles for a 10c refund. So basically it's just a tax for nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Peasmum, I guess you'd have to see whether it worked in other places. My concern would be the location of the collection points to increase recycling. And if you had them out of the way, it would use more petrol etc.

I wish it was practical to implement a scheme where you pay per bag of refuse you send to the tip. We have reduced our refuse to one large white bag a week on average, through compost and recycling, and others would do likewise if there was a financial disincentive. But I can think of a practical way to implement it without changing the whole current household waste disposal system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They already run it in sa. Biggest effect on me? When big w has really cheap cans, sa is always around $1 more...no difference for us. My brothers come round and collect the cans/bottles and keep they money, I don't care can't be bothered taking them myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post
    While I really agree with your sentiment, I, and everyone I know, already gladly recycle everything we can. So I don't see the point of this proposal.
    That's great, but I know LOTS of people in my area didn't recycle a thing. Why? Because until 2 weeks ago, kerbside recycling didn't exist in our council area, you had to save your recyclables, drive to the recycling centre at the local refuse, and sort them out into the correct bins.

Now while we did this, most people didn't, it was a lot of hassle, especially coming from a council area that did have kerbside recycling, and the amount if recycling a family of 6 can make!

I have no issues with this scheme at sol, I remember as s kid being annoyed that I did get to collect a few cents from my soft drink can like those in SA

*I can haz typos*

Thanks
    Reviews
    They have a similar thing in Switzerland and much of Germany (and probably lots of other European countries). It works really well. The trouble with our current recycling system is that everything goes in together and there is huge waste and inefficiency. I really support this move. There are more important things at stake than a little inconvenience

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the street can collectors just won, because now they can collect the bottles as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Instead of a tax, why don't they do what the Dutch have been doing for decades now?!
    They have big containers in every suburb that have a green,brown and white glass section. We throw our glass bottles and other glass items in there to be recycled.
    Also, we have something called "statie geld". It would be called something like "return money".
    You pay 10-25 cents extra on your bottle/can of softdrink or beer and you then return the empty bottles to the supermarket and you get that money back.
    I think SA is the only state who has a similar system, but they charge only 5 cents or something.
    Also, they charge you 25 cents for a plastic bag, so most people use their own shopping bags or boxes.

Oh and another thing they do is putting $1-2 dollar locks on trolleys. Aldi is the only supermarket in Australia who has this system.
    You don't see shopping trolleys standing around in the suburbs over in Thee Netherlands.
    If you are too lazy to bring back the trolley, little kids will collect them and bring them back and keep the money. Simple and effective.

For those who think that people will litter anyway, the same thing applies as with the trolleys. Kids go around and pick up all the littered cans and bottles and bring them to the supermarket and keep the money.
    Last edited by Misschief; 14-07-2012 at 17:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Oh and another thing they do is putting $1-2 dollar locks on trolleys. Aldi is the only supermarket in Australia who has this system.
    Um no. Our local Woollies has this too.

Would that mean Council stop collecting recycling bins because I already pay for this service in my rates. So I don't see why I should be taxed to buy things (and I bet they'd put the GST on top of the tax too) when I'm essentially already paying for a recycling service.

Speaking of taxes, wtf is this flood levy tax when I'm lodging my return, when I've already been paying a flood levy tax for over a year!

And has anyone else missed out on the education tax refund that was abolished to make way for the school kid refund that WE AREN'T ENTITLED TO??!! How many ways can we be screwed over in one financial year?!

*rant over*

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElleB For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (14-07-2012),Mulva  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Coles has the trolley lock things too.