+ Reply to Thread
    DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fire twirling at a 7 year olds birthday party?

DS is turning 7 and his party is in a few weeks. We're planning on doing a simple BBQ and maybe a bonfire in the back yard with some games. DP does fire twirling and has done for years. He asked me if this year he could get DS a twirling stick for his birthday and I have said yes, under the stipulation that he is to practice with it only until we are both sure he can use it safely. I was thinking about getting DP to do a fire twirling demonstration at the party, but wondered if the other parents might have a problem with it?

Would it bother you if your child went to a birthday party at that age and saw fire twirling? And do you think I should mention it on the invites jic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds awesome! Whilst I would have a different answer if the question was 'would you HIRE a fire twirler', if it's your DP then yes I think that would be very very cool! I wouldn't bother mentioning it on the invites either. As long as your DP is safety aware (which I'm sure he is), and you insist your DS doesn't try and get his one out as well, then I think it's a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My kids love it when my brother and nephew do it at parties. I would just set a safety zone bigger than you normal would. If you don't know the other parents well i would mention it on the invites. I hope he has a great party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On second thoughts though, I might be abit iffy with the bonfire. I guess it depends on the kids, how many, how crazy, how many adults supervising... basically how much chance is there that one might muck around and burn themselves?
    Personally my kids are very sensible so I would be ok with it, but other kids just seem to have no fear and no boundaries and go really silly at parties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It would be amazing!!! My kids love it when we go to fairs and there are fire twirlers performing!!!

Go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DS 5 loves fire twirling he has used it a few times while lit and loved it. i think they are fine with the proper safety steps taken etc.. and im sure most kids will love it

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I don't have a problem with it, so long as the kids were all sitting at a far enough distance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Amazing! Let the parent know in advance and then they can be there to supervise (which at 7 years of age I'm sure they'd be at the party anyway)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i do fire twirling and we often have bonfires.
    can't see a problem as long as the parents supervise their children!

if they have a 'problem' with that, they can always leave.
    my kids love my fire twirling and ds (9) does basic batons and poi.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI DH and I used to twirl. I think its fine to have at any age party as long as people take safety precautions. However I would mention it on the invite as some people may be sensitive to the vapours of particular fuels. I know kids about 10 who twirl, I wouldnt personally let a 7 year old have a lit stick but they could always have the led sticks or poi which are good fun.

Have fun at the party!