+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Yes. Nemmi has put it well.
    Yes she did

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not really a yeller (except when the dog is in one of his barking frenzies at the dogs next door) but in the morning when I am trying to get out of the house, drop off at day care and to work on time I do probably make a sound like a pig squealing, that is for the benefit of dh and dd.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I do, especially walking about to cross the road..at home i yell but lately very rarely..used to be worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be fair, the answers were to an OP who only has one child who is a toddler (correct me if I'm wrong). I've never yelled at my 19 month old and really can't imagine yelling at her. Sure, she does normal toddler things and needs plenty of guidance but I don't believe yelling achieves that. I come from a yelling house, so am worried that I'll yell as she gets older but I certainly don't think it's harmless. How can you help your child self-control when you can't control yourself.
    On the other hand, I believe in being age-appropriately authentic with your children and letting them know how you really feel rather than presenting a calm facade.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    To be fair, the answers were to an OP who only has one child who is a toddler (correct me if I'm wrong). I've never yelled at my 19 month old and really can't imagine yelling at her. Sure, she does normal toddler things and needs plenty of guidance but I don't believe yelling achieves that. I come from a yelling house, so am worried that I'll yell as she gets older but I certainly don't think it's harmless. How can you help your child self-control when you can't control yourself.
    On the other hand, I believe in being age-appropriately authentic with your children and letting them know how you really feel rather than presenting a calm facade.
    Yep. I really can't imagine what a 17 month old does to get yelled at to the point where the other parent says something about it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

missjess86  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 20 months and I wouldn't dream of yelling at him. Way too young to cognitively understand yelling. If I felt the need to yell at him I would take myself off to anger management/parenting technique classes, as don't think Id be coping properly if I was acting like that.

What could a baby of that age possibly do so bad to deserve being yelled at like that? They can really only just tell you where their nose is, let alone come up with something to upset their mummy or daddy, who is their entire life.

Actually to be honest the only time my 20 month old is "naughty" is when he wants attention, I give him my full attention and a cuddle and he's good again straight away. Thinking of yelling at him and the hurt and confusion he would feel brings tears to my eyes
    Last edited by missjess86; 15-07-2012 at 15:08.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to missjess86 For This Useful Post:

wrena  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we need a definition of 'yelling'. Yelling can mean screaming, shouting abuse, out of control verbal anger which im guessing most on here wouldnt dream of doing including me.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 15-07-2012 at 15:46.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

missjess86  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although I haven't had my baby yet, let alone raised them to an age where I might even want to yell at them I still wanted to add my 2 cents .

I have a lot of animals, and am a naturally expressive person (I can't help it, I get excited and my volume raises). At times I do yell at my critters, and it does make me feel a bit bad. Generally I prefer to use a strict tone, and distract them from whatever it is they are doing that is bugging me so badly (usually barking excessively, the cat getting on the benches and eating stuff etc.). Occasionally I'll have one dog barking at nothing, the cat getting into everything, another dog having a hissy fit at being left outside and another drinking too much and spewing everywhere (we have seen a vet about this, no one knows why he does it ). The accumulated aggravation of all this naughty behaviour does make me yell, where as if it was just one being a brat then I'm a lot calmer about it all.

I hope to not do this with the kids, but it may happen. I know that listening to music helps me a bit (so I can't hear the barking and carrying on), and it also helps to take a quick break and just get my cool back.

I also think there is a huge difference to yelling out to be heard (especially in an emergency situation), and yelling to frighten and intimidate. Screaming at kids is pretty pointless, raising your voice and changing tone can be quite effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Amiedoll....i liked your wording 'strict tone' id say thats more what i do at times rather than yelling.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (15-07-2012),Boobycino  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [/QUOTE=Amiedoll;6694632]

I also think there is a huge difference to yelling out to be heard (especially in an emergency situation), and yelling to frighten and intimidate. Screaming at kids is pretty pointless, raising your voice and changing tone can be quite effective.[/QUOTE]

Why does someone else always say it better than me? Lol

Last edited by ShanandBoc; 15-07-2012 at 15:50.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (15-07-2012),Boobycino  (15-07-2012)