+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 2 and 4 year old. The 2 year old drives me mental and I yell alot. He repeats himself constatly over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I lose my sh!t at him. He never listens. My DS1 is a big stirrer and constantly stirs DS2 which makes DS2 lost his sh!t and lash out with biting, smacking, throwing things. I have tried several different dicipline methods wit DS2 and nothing works. It REALLY depends on his mood. If he is hungry, tiered, sick, bored etc etc. Very tempamental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I have a 2 and 4 year old. The 2 year old drives me mental and I yell alot. He repeats himself constatly over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I lose my sh!t at him. He never listens. My DS1 is a big stirrer and constantly stirs DS2 which makes DS2 lost his sh!t and lash out with biting, smacking, throwing things. I have tried several different dicipline methods wit DS2 and nothing works. It REALLY depends on his mood. If he is hungry, tiered, sick, bored etc etc. Very tempamental.
    Is yelling working? Genuine question, not having a go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Is yelling working? Genuine question, not having a go
    Well my view on how it is working is because, it gets his attention allowing him to think "Oh sh!t, mums angry" and he stops long enough to listen. lol

He is alot of work. Trying to get his attention and keep it is hard. I know, he is two. But trust me, he is alot more 'mature' (so to speak) then most 2 year olds.
    But its jsut getting his attention to get him to listen is the hard part. Once he stops he is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    If your kids struggle to get ready to your expectation...change your expectation and help them. Less stress for everyone and more life enjoyment.
    Thats true sometimes, but NINE yr old can't get ready in the morning without constant reminders and following around and nagging. I'm pretty sure at 9 I'm not expecting too much from her that she dress herself!?

Wastingtime- as others have said, NO TV in the mornings, and I have a whiteboard with a list of things they need to do- 1 get dressed, 2. eat breaky, 3. brush hair etc etc. We had pictures as well before DD2 could read. I found it works quite well, I'd just say, 'go and check the board to make sure youve done everything' if I saw them standing around doing nothing. But DD1 is just a scatterbrain and needs CONSTANT prodding. It literally takes her 30 mins just to get dressed if I'm not standing next to her nagging- drives me mental!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

share a book  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my view on how it is working is because, it gets his attention allowing him to think "Oh sh!t, mums angry" and he stops long enough to listen. lol

He is alot of work. Trying to get his attention and keep it is hard. I know, he is two. But trust me, he is alot more 'mature' (so to speak) then most 2 year olds.
    But its jsut getting his attention to get him to listen is the hard part. Once he stops he is fine.
    Yeah I get ya. I've always wondered how pre-school teachers get the whole class's attention by clicking their fingers or doing clapping games. Wish it worked at home too *sigh*.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Thats true sometimes, but NINE yr old can't get ready in the morning without constant reminders and following around and nagging. I'm pretty sure at 9 I'm not expecting too much from her that she dress herself!?

Wastingtime- as others have said, NO TV in the mornings, and I have a whiteboard with a list of things they need to do- 1 get dressed, 2. eat breaky, 3. brush hair etc etc. We had pictures as well before DD2 could read. I found it works quite well, I'd just say, 'go and check the board to make sure youve done everything' if I saw them standing around doing nothing. But DD1 is just a scatterbrain and needs CONSTANT prodding. It literally takes her 30 mins just to get dressed if I'm not standing next to her nagging- drives me mental!
    most might...but maybe your DD can't just now.

I just believe that yelling and ranting because they are not doing things to our timetable...does not help.

And...if you keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...then that is the definition of insanity.

Change the routine...listen to your child...work with them and they will work with you as I am sure they don't mean to disappoint you!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

but if you are stressed and angry...it's NOT working.

Change the pattern, change the relationship and make life better for everyone.

We teach people how to treat us...you, over time, have taught your kids they don't need to act until you yell. It is not something we do on purpose and it is not something that happens overnight...but the patterns we repeat end up ruling us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    but if you are stressed and angry...it's NOT working.

Change the pattern, change the relationship and make life better for everyone.

We teach people how to treat us...you, over time, have taught your kids they don't need to act until you yell. It is not something we do on purpose and it is not something that happens overnight...but the patterns we repeat end up ruling us.
    No, like I said. I have tried several different ways. None of which have worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, like I said. I have tried several different ways. None of which have worked.

it takes 6 months to make a permanent change to a human behaviour...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    WastingTime, perhaps you could separate them whilst they get dressed so they aren't distracting each other and give them breakfast after they are dressed.
    I used to take a long time to get dressed for no reason other than I had too much time to get ready. In winter I would take longer because I didn't want to be cold. Maybe you could put the clothes in front of the heater and the novelty of them feeling warm will get them on quicker.
    I definitely think if they are distracting each other and talking you need to get them doing different things at different times or put the older one in charge and maybe she will become bossy enough to get herself dressed and convince the other for you.
    My only other thought would be dressing your son in the same room so you can tell them they have to get dressed at the same time/before you are finished helping him. That way you can watch them and dress him at the same time.