+ Reply to Thread
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you know what a beta-blocker is?

Do you know what a beta-blocker is? And is St Johns Wart one of them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is for heart palpitations and heart problems etc. it Can be used to control the symptoms of anxiety or is used in the elderly for other conditions that I know nothing about. St johns wort is a natural anti depressant. Not sure about if it works as a beta blocker also.. but it may help with anxiety. Why do you ask?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you are thinking of using a prescription beta blocka... My gp seems to think they arent very effective except for things like stage fright, fear of driving, social phobia etc. I have used them but I think that the only thing which really helps is counselling.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've recently started taking St johns wart for anxiety & think it's going well.

I also work in the fitness industry.

I know people can't train when on beta-blockers as they restrict the heart rate & therefor cause the heart to swell during exercise.

Just wondering if I'm at risk taking SJW.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you aware of the drugs that SJW interacts with? There are many and some can be quite dangerous interactions. One is the contraceptive pill, but there are many more. I know this doesn't answer your OP but just wanted to point this out as many people aren't aware.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    I've recently started taking St johns wart for anxiety & think it's going well.

I also work in the fitness industry.

I know people can't train when on beta-blockers as they restrict the heart rate & therefor cause the heart to swell during exercise.

Just wondering if I'm at risk taking SJW.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0406151151.htm

There is a number of articles etc saying St Johns Wort is not an effective remedy for anxiety, it's more useful in depression I think. I also remember reading that it's not a beta blocker but does interact with them. I'd do some research and speak to a GP before continuing as many people believe herbal remedies are safe because they are natural but some can be quite dangerous- always best used under medical supervision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Are you aware of the drugs that SJW interacts with? There are many and some can be quite dangerous interactions. One is the contraceptive pill, but there are many more. I know this doesn't answer your OP but just wanted to point this out as many people aren't aware.
    Yes thank you I've read a fair bit on it.

I'm not on the pill so that ones okay.

But I do take nurofen plus occassionally (shin splints) which can cause a serotonin toxicity (high levels)

But that's all of the 'regular' medication I think I need to be concerned about?

I'm fairly healthy (low BP)

I'm trying SJW as I've tried many other meds in the past & I havnt been happy with any of them.

They work but they either make me a zombie or numb which I hate. Hence trying something herbal/mild for long term use.

I manage it fairly well (diet, exercise, meditation blah blah) only recently felt it taking over my life again.

I know it's mainly used for depression but I am a long term depression & anxiety sufferer. They seem to go hand in hand with me. so I don't think it will do any harm IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    Yes thank you I've read a fair bit on it.
    Ahhh, very good.

Yeah alot of the drugs it interacts with are not your ordinary ones, like warfarin, digoxin, anticancer drugs, etc.
    It can also cause excessive serotonin with prescription anti-depressants and anxiety drugs, so make sure if your GP ever prescribes these that you let them know about the SJW. Has a similar effect also with *ahem* cocaine and amphetamines, which I just thought I'd mention, just incase!
    Basically due to it's wide range of interactions, make sure you mention it to the GP whenever he prescribes pretty much anything!

Oh and sorry to answer your OP, no, SJW works different to beta blockers. BB decrease cardiac activity. SJW is supposed to increase serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline which are all involved in helping with moods.

SJW can have side effects like anything else, but is generally pretty good in that respect and not many people will get many side effects. Most of the side effects are to do with sleep disturbances, so if you start having sleep problems you may want to look at that.

HTH good luck I hope you have some success with it.