+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    It sounds like it wears off over time like some vaccines do?
    It probably does make sense that its a vaccine but its just not what I understand vaccines to be I guess. I can see how people would love this idea.. but it can't make people eat healthy and just because you aren't overweight doesn't mean you are eating well. When people lose weight from lifestyle changes, they are actually getting healthy. Sounds like this needle doesn't help with that.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I don't see how this is any worse than surgery or diet pills that are already available?
    It's not much different, but again, people want the quick, easy fix without putting in the hard yards (except WLS in some instances where it is literally the last option where everything else has been exhausted).
    How can ANYONE expect a quick fix to work in the long term? Unless you make a lifestyle change then there is no point in trying, because it is not going to happen.
    As others have said, and I said it in my first reply, it won't make a person healthier. Just because a person isn't fat, doesn't mean they are healthy, and if someone thinks that by getting an injection their issues will magically be erased, they are kidding themselves. Obesity isn't an issue on its own, it's just a symptom of a huge array of other issues. Eradicating obesity on its own will not make the population healthier. The only way to do that is for the population to lead a healthy lifestyle.
    Eating healthy and exercising, THAT is the key.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did it say how long the weight loss has been sustained for or could potentially be sustained for? Would it be like every ten yrs you need a booster?

Would it be used as a preventative measure like "here you go, your 5 *needle* now you won't get fat" or just to help those that are morbidly obese/at risk of developing obesity related diseases etc?

I'd hope this wouldn't find its way into the lives of those that already have body image issues and that don't really need to lose (up to) 10%...

I think it would have to undergo a lot more rigorous testing to see how it would also react with other common medications like the pill or hrt. How much would lifestyle changes come into the equation and how many chances does a person get to receive the 'vaccine' as PP's have said.

I'm not aware of all the medical issues that can cause obesity but surely it would be better to try to 'fix'/prevent the underlying issue rather than the outcome of it iykwim...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's a bit dangerous to be messing around in people's bodies like that tbh.

Yes, I know that sounds odd coming from someone who had 2/3 of her stomach removed willingly... but to load a boad up with chemicals and such in the hopes they'll simply stop gaining and start losing? It feels weird... I wouldn't want that stuff shot up into my child's body. I think we mess around with our bodies a fair bit already... and while I think that after YEEEEAAAAARRRRRSSSSS of testing this may be okay to make available to OBESE ADULTS, I wouldn't be wanting it used on children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think this is a vaccine in the true sense of the word. Obesity is not caused by a bacteria or virus. This may be a suitable treatment for SOME people but I'm skeptical- I'll wait for long term results!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I also wonder how it deals with overeating and binge eating. Apparently it doesn't stop that. I didn't overeat due to hunger... so simply making me not hungry wasn't going to stop my eating habits. I would sometimes binge to the point where it HURT to eat, yet I'd still continue to shovel food in.

I'm not sure it would work. It might work on mice where they're not emotionally eating and are living in a controlled environment... but would that really apply to obese people who can just go to Maccas when they're feeling blue and down a few large meals in a sitting? I'm not so sure...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I also wonder how it deals with overeating and binge eating. Apparently it doesn't stop that. I didn't overeat due to hunger... so simply making me not hungry wasn't going to stop my eating habits. I would sometimes binge to the point where it HURT to eat, yet I'd still continue to shovel food in.

I'm not sure it would work. It might work on mice where they're not emotionally eating and are living in a controlled environment... but would that really apply to obese people who can just go to Maccas when they're feeling blue and down a few large meals in a sitting? I'm not so sure...
    I agree- it needs loads more testing and study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it could be good for some people. Obesity does put a lot of pressure on some arteries and it's not good to have a lot of fat hanging around your waist, it actually would fix problems for a lot of Australians. Yes, healthy eating and exercise and all that but people aren't doing it for many reasons...

As for messing with our bodies, we already do it. We don't have as many pregnancies as we are biologically designed to or have them young enough, nor do we breastfeed for as long as we're biologically designed to. I actually want to go on the oral pill and eventually have my tubes tied to reduce my chances of ovarian cancer because women who don't have many/any pregnancies and do not take oral contraception are actually more likely to have it later in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think this could potentially be a miracle! More so for those people who have bodies that just won't lose weight, regardless of what you do.

I've had a highly restricted diet for 16 years and yet here I am at least 45 kg overweight. I'm also on Xenical (fat blocker) Metformin, amphetamines and thyroxine. All of which do a little more than diddly squat. I doubt I'd qualify for surgery because I'm not an over-eater, and even if I did qualify, I doubt it would have any positive effect.
    I agree with some PP, the vast majority of obesity problems are usually related to lifestyle or lack of knowledge about food/caloric intake. But a small number of people simply defy medicine and science - our bodies just don't work!

If this vaccine gets approved I'd be all over it like a hippy in a pot farm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a friend who is very healthy and active and cannot lose any weight at all, they have tried everything to lose weight, apart from surgery. For people like that I wonder if it would be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    And what does that teach people exactly? The wrong things IMO.
    Having a fast metabolism won't make them healthier. It won't make them change the important things to become healthier.