+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How does your 4mth old sleep?

So as the title suggests whats your babies sleep like?
    My boy is all over the place.
    during day i get 2 naps out of him usually 45min each although today i resettled him and got 2hours! But night he is uo every 2 hours or 1 hour from midnight..

Has anyone's baby been sleeping through? What do you do to get this or just luck? Ds has shower the bottle of formula then bed around 8 or 9pm then he is uo at midnight..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whilst all babies are different, most need much more than 2 x 45min naps during the day at only 4mths old. They should really only be up for approx 1.5hrs at a time at that young age.

Many babies only sleep 1 cycle (45mins) for awhile though, don't worry you're not alone! But trying to resettle him is perfect and as you already experienced, you got a lovely 2hrs from it. The more you do this, hopefully bubs will learn to self settle and sleep longer. Perhaps he is overtired if only sleeping 2 naps a day, which is making it harder for him to settle well.

With babies - sleep promotes sleep as they say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD used to be good.. an hour nap in the morning, down for 2-3 hours in the arvo, after bath she would have another hour then down for the night at 9-10 and up at 4 for a feed then back down again till 8ish.

However the last week or so she has changed it up..

Still going down at 10pm but waking at 1.30am, 3, 4, 5.30 and so on and then she goes down for a good nap at about 8-9 then down again at 11.30ish, 2pm.. Not sure if it's this 4 month sleep regression that I've read about or not..

I'm kind of just going with it for now and doing my best to keep in her routine as much as I can!

I find that she is most unsettled from about 3am-6am and that's when I put her in my bed but she tosses and grizzles the whole time.. She also seems to constantly want to feed at that time too and will actively and sometimes aggressively search for the boob haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD would sleep anywhere from 7 hours to 11 hours for the first sleep from about 2 months old to 4 months old. Now I'm flat out getting 3 hours out of her. During the day she'll usually have 3 x 30 minute naps. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times her day naps have been over 30 minutes. I swear she thinks she'll miss out on something if she sleeps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do try to get more day naps out of him but he fights it and i end up letting him lay on his mat.

Ds also is very unsettled around 4am when he comes to bed with me and feeds more often and constantly wriggles.

I will keep trying to get more of a day sleep out of him and hope that will mean longer night sleeps..
    Will try anything!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's very common for babies to wake around 4-5am, as that's their lightest part of sleep (apparently!). This is also the coldest time usually overnight - is there a chance he's too cold?

Some babies just aren't big sleepers during the day. But since your LO slept 2hrs when resettled, he sounds like he just needs to learn with a bit of help to sleep through his 1st cycle. Even try putting him to bed at the very first tired sign, so he doesn't become overtired.

There are many books available, but Pinky MacKay has a gentle and natural approach you may be interested in. Most libraries have a copy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try putting him to bed earlier?

My DS is 4 months next week and he wakes at 7, feed, sleep at 9 (I used to have to go in at 40mins to pat him through the cycle change), wake at 11, feed, sleep at 1, wake at 3, feed, bath at 4:30, sleep at 5, wake at 5:45-6, feed at 7 then bed when he's finished.

I had to pat him through the change of cycle for every sleep from 2 months to about 2 weeks ago. It was very hard because I also have a 2 year old.

Try putting him to bed earlier as it sounds to me like he is over tired. My DD was like this and I have learnt from my experience with her tht I was missing her tired signs. Also, maybe google Dunstan Baby Language. This helped me a lot with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is also 4mths next week and we get 4x45 min naps during the day, usually 1.5hrs wake time between. I find that once she hits 2hrs awake, its a massive struggle to get her down and she will then only nap for 20ish mins

At night she is really good, goes down at 7-7.30 and wakes just the once until about 6am (we have had a couple of horrid nights in the last fortnight though)

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Today i tried the every 1.5hrs get him to bed.. Omg so he was up at 830am and at 10 he was fed and ready for been overtime i put him down he was just about sleeping and would be up 5 mins later crying. I went in and out of his room until 1130 then he slept 20 mins and up again.
    130pm took him in the car he then fell asleep and stayed asleep on dh until 4pm. I let him sleep on dh as i knew he would need it.

Then tried again at 6pm and same as this mornin would not sleep so now he is in with dh having a bottle . Fingers crossed he sleeps! Don't know why he is fighting it lately.

I will look up more tired signs.. I thought i was catching them maybe not..
    Ahhh please let him sleep tonight!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps he's going through a growth spurt? I highly recommend The Wonder Weeks app (free). It clearly identifies every single stage.

All babies are of course different, but at that age I found waiting for the yawns was actually too late! There were more subtle signs like jerky movements, touching ears/face more, no eye contact etc Google for more that may be relevant for your bub
    Last edited by Pesca77; 14-07-2012 at 23:10.