+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pap smear? How often?

I know most people get one every 2 years. My gp insists on yearly.
    I read somewhere it shouldn't be done too often. Why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Because there is absolutely no benefit to having it done more often. Two years for most women is more than enough as any changes can be treated way before they turn into cancer.

If you have had an abnormal history you MAY be recommended to have yearly Paps until you have cleared the HPV virus that causes cervical cancer - but for the majority of women two years is plenty, there is no benefit having them more frequently.

They are actually looking at reviewing the recommended timeframe to possibly three or five years - but until they change the recommendation get a smear every two years. It can prevent 90% of cervical cancer.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get mine done every 2 years (due this September!) I hate them hate hate hate them but my mum had cervical cancer so yeah.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every 6 months for me. I have HPV and a bad pap smear history. My first pap smear at 17 came back CIN3, it was very scary at the time. Im actually a couple of months overdue....that reminds me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Every 2yrs for me. Whilst not particularly pleasant, I don't find them as bad as others clearly do. It's over in a minute - I hate the dentist 100% more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Every 2yrs for me. Whilst not particularly pleasant, I don't find them as bad as others clearly do. It's over in a minute - I hate the dentist 100% more.
    This

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Because there is absolutely no benefit to having it done more often. Two years for most women is more than enough as any changes can be treated way before they turn into cancer.

If you have had an abnormal history you MAY be recommended to have yearly Paps until you have cleared the HPV virus that causes cervical cancer - but for the majority of women two years is plenty, there is no benefit having them more frequently.

They are actually looking at reviewing the recommended timeframe to possibly three or five years - but until they change the recommendation get a smear every two years. It can prevent 90% of cervical cancer.
    When you say 'cleared the HPV virus' what do you mean? I thought once you had it that was it for life.

I go every 6-12 months because I have the HPV virus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CottonCandy View Post
    When you say 'cleared the HPV virus' what do you mean? I thought once you had it that was it for life.

I go every 6-12 months because I have the HPV virus.
    No, almost everyone who has sex will get HPV. Your body normally clears it within a few months, in most cases it causes no issues. For some people it takes longer to clear and if it hangs around a long time can cause cervical lesions. If you have had high grade Pap smears and have been treated for them with a biopsy, you are eligible for free HPV testing to see when your body has cleared the HPV. Once you've cleared it and it's no longer in your body you can go back to 2 yearly screening.

Once you clear one sort of HPV there's nothing stopping you picking up another strain, there are hundreds.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never get them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one every 18 months, I've had a CIN2 and surgery for it so I won't take the risk of leaving it again