+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how to be a good support and not stress a new mother suggestions pls

I am close to someone who is a new mum. I want to help and not add stress to the mum or dad of the new baby who have had alot extra to contend with. I'm anxious re wanting to pls, help, relieve stress and not add to stress.
    Its hard sometimes to know when to talk ,when to offer a suggestion and how best to do it so as not to add to stress of an already challenging situations.

any suggestions from your own or others experience pls, of ways to help and ways to avoid adding stress .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Frozen Dinners! If ur ever going to visit, take meals/snacks, DVDs, offer to do clothes washing at urs...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are going to visit ... Ring before to make sure it is ok but if they need anything from supermarket while you are on Way

While you are there offer to hold bub, change a nappy, do dishes, fold washing eyed ( as long as they aren't the type of people to be offended by it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Call first always
    Don't stay too long each time
    Take homemade meals that can be frozen
    Offer to make lunch/coffee etc whilst there
    Take dog for quick walk if they have one
    Offer to bring basic supplies (milk etc)
    Ask how she is feeling, not just about baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always showed up with dinners (spag bog & garlic bread, shepherds pie, custard and fruit, cake, etc), would call before I left home and asked if they washed a load I would hang it out, bring washing home if they were ok with that, do a bit of cleaning while there (wipe down kitchen benches, do dishes, clean toilet, wipe over bathroom vanity and mirror, make beds, empty rubbish) and never stay too long.

Also, don't offer well meaning advice unless she asks you a direct question. She's likely to be feeling vulnerable and unsure of whether she's doing alright or not and might be pretty sensitive to ppl offering advice. It can be a really confusing time, don't add to that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Turn up with a coffee/de caff and a trashy magazine. And heaps of office/friend gossip. Good idea if you are also in pjs or trakkies so that you both are comfy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had a baby 6 days ago, and agree with MamaC! Fantastic suggestions!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nicpic For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Change sheets is a good one! I had a c-section so this was tricky for me to do and I loved that my Mum just did it for me. There's nothing like clean sheets
    Also loved it when she cleaned my bathroom, but I'm not good at doing that at the best of times