+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The healthy option to unhealthy options?

So I'm looking for some alternative healthy options to our more or less unhealthyish option meals. We have a whole bunch of meals we have regularly in our rotation that I would like to find alternatives for me but still be able to serve the usual to the rest of my family (ds1 needs a high fat diet...long story)

Eg: we have chicken parm frequently so I know for me I could take my chicken breast and poach it or bake it without the cheese, bacon and sauce while making it normally for everyone else.

Our big offenders are: pasta bake, potato bake, beef sausages, meat pies, spag bol, roast lamb with baked veggies, casseroles and rice bakes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Roast lamb with baked veg is ok - as long as you aren't covering the veg in oil. Spag Bol - use a lean mince and grate veg in to bulk it up - have your meat serve with salad rather than spaghetti pasta.

If you are really struggling to make yourself something different in terms if pasta bake or sausages etc, you should just have a very small serving of the dish and have it with salad or veg.

Could you add extra meals into the rotation?? Like fish and salad, meat and veg, a nice couscous dish with pinenuts etc.??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Roast lamb with baked veg is ok - as long as you aren't covering the veg in oil. Spag Bol - use a lean mince and grate veg in to bulk it up - have your meat serve with salad rather than spaghetti pasta.

If you are really struggling to make yourself something different in terms if pasta bake or sausages etc, you should just have a very small serving of the dish and have it with salad or veg.

Could you add extra meals into the rotation?? Like fish and salad, meat and veg, a nice couscous dish with pinenuts etc.??
    Thanks for that. Yeah we have couscous with roast pumpkin and fennel every now and then but it's new into the rotation I don't want to scare the kids off it by having it too often lol. We do have some other things like last night we had lean silverside with steamed veg which I think is ok.

Are chicken sausages better health wise than beef, What about turkey? Grrr why does it have to be so confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why don't you bake/grill a piece of fish for yourself when the family has sausages? I always bake a piece of salmon with salt/pepper/lemon juice when DH has steak. Yum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meat pies-are you making homemade ones? You could make up a batch of chicken and vegetable ones for yourself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Parma-do you prepare the chicken yourself? You could do yours without the crumbing, but still have the tomato and a little cheese.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing - there are some awesome ideas in here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    pasta bake - Still do this, just use tomato-based, not cream-based sauces, use wholemeal pasta and load up with veg.

beef sausages - buy the lean versions, or just avoid and have grill some fresh fish or some lean steak or something instead. Turkey is generally a lean meat, but sausages are just fatty in general. It's better to not have sausages... but yeah, go the lean ones if you can.

meat pies - make your own, and don't use pastry for the base. Fill with veges and lean meats. Top with low fat pastry/breadcrumbs/potato or something...

Spaghetti Bolognaise - use wholemeal pasta. Load your meat sauce with veges. I grate 2 big carrots and 2 large zucchinis in mine, with onion and lots of herbs. I'd also add mushrooms and baby spinach if the rest of hte family wouldn't complain. Make your own sauce - don't use jar crap.

Roast lamb with baked veges - should be fine. Only use a tiny bit of oil on your veges if you must use it...

Casseroles - make your own and avoid cream-based. Used lean meats and lots of veg. Don't serve with a massive side of potato/pasta/rice etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

pinkplease3  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With chicken Parma if u still really want it cook in the oven.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use broccoli, cauli and beans instead of pasta when I serve my plate of pasta sauce/bake/Bolognaise.

Make ur own 'sausages' using lean mince, egg, grated vegies and rolling them into logs. You can roll them in plastic wrap and poach prior to frying/grilling if you're worried they will fall apart. Just remember to salt them well, otherwise the kids will kick up a stink!

Make your own pies, substituting mash instead of puff pastry - you can use mashed sweet potato or cauli (blend in processor once cooked) for an even healthier option

To be honest, I think your meal choices are healthy enough..you just need to ensure you're serving with lots of vegies or salad and that your cooking with the leanest cuts available and with minimal oils and fats.