+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Whining and crying ALL DAY LONG

My DS will be 3 in September. I love him, but he is a constant source of stress in my life. From the moment he gets up in the morning he whines and cries at least half of the time and has regular meltdowns over anything and everything. DH and I are stressed out and fighting with each other about how to handle it. DS1 is such hard work. His baby brother is 9 months and has a much happier disposition, but I'm worried DS1's behaviour could rub off on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD's (4 and 2.5) go through periods like this.
    I get really tough on them. We have a tv detox, I only offer them really healthy meals and snacks and if they don't eat they go hungry (it's stuff they would eat anyway, but absolutely no junk), and they have early nights for a few days. I ignore all talking if it's in a whingy voice ("I can't understand what you're saying when you talk like that- please use your normal voice") and if we have meltdowns we tell them they'll need to have a nap or a bit of time out to calm down.
    I make sure we do lots of hands on activities- play doh, craft, ride bikes, go to the park, puppets, make a cubby house, bubbles and when inside we do lots of reading and I keep soft calming music on.
    It all fixes itself in a couple of days.
    I have an 8 month old too and it's hard work to keep on top of the behaviour of the older ones, sometimes it takes heaps more effort.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What is his sleep like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    My DD's (4 and 2.5) go through periods like this.
    I get really tough on them. We have a tv detox, I only offer them really healthy meals and snacks and if they don't eat they go hungry (it's stuff they would eat anyway, but absolutely no junk), and they have early nights for a few days. I ignore all talking if it's in a whingy voice ("I can't understand what you're saying when you talk like that- please use your normal voice") and if we have meltdowns we tell them they'll need to have a nap or a bit of time out to calm down.
    I make sure we do lots of hands on activities- play doh, craft, ride bikes, go to the park, puppets, make a cubby house, bubbles and when inside we do lots of reading and I keep soft calming music on.
    It all fixes itself in a couple of days.
    I have an 8 month old too and it's hard work to keep on top of the behaviour of the older ones, sometimes it takes heaps more effort.
    Awesome advice!

We do most of the above too.

Also, DH & I try really hard to model a positive, patient attitude and I believe this makes a big difference as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have found this 2.5 to 3.5 age difficult with my son. I have found going out can help and a lot of physical exertion, like running and swimming (obviously the latter is hard in winter) tends to calm him down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Was juts about to ask about his sleep too. If DD (3.5) is tired of hasnt been sleeping well she is exactly like this.
    Does he still nap during the day? Someitmes DD doesnt want to have a sleep but i make sure she has QUIET time in her room. She can read or play puzzles but she must be quiet and stay on her bed!
    I also agree with cindye, id be trying to cut the cugar particually!
    Good luck