+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thats a full on punishment for a 6 year old. By the end of it, hes going to have forgotten what happened and why. I would personally make the punishment shorter and less severe. Hes only 6. WHy not just do one of those things, no dessert for a week, or no museum?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with lotusmum, far too much for a 6yr old who probably doesnt really understand what he said. Talk to him about it, set 1 punishment (no tv after school for 2 days would be as harsh as I would go). Apart from hurting your feelings, he didnt really do anything that bad.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah maybe it's a bit harsh I think that sitting him down and talking about why he felt the way he did and why he said something hurtful would be good. kids lash out and it's normally because they don't know how to explain their own emotions. good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it's hard when kids say hurtful things, but they're kids.. They don't fully understand how words can hurt.

I think the Punishment is way over the top.. My response would be to talk about how hurtful words can be and why you got so upset, then as much as it would be hard, I'd try and forget about it to be honest.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (15-07-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    I have decided on DS punishment. Grounded for a week. How do I manage this at 6yrs of age? Well, we were supposed to be heading to the powerhouse museum on Monday for a special holiday treat (I took the day off work and didn't book him into vacation care). We were BOTH looking forward to it- no more. For the rest of next weeks well, he's afternoon (afternoon coming home from after school care) will consist of going to his room and dinner at the table but no outside, no DS, no iPod, no tv and no dessert.

Advice? Opinion?
    What exactly are you punishing him for? That's seems a lot to take on for a six year old and the message that you are trying to send him might be lost in all that?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (13-07-2012),lovemybabies!  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm so sorry you had to hear that. Unfortunately kids say these sorts of things not understanding the meaning.

Children struggle to express there feelings.

I'd talk to him, let him know how it made you feel. Maybe a small punishment for the tantrum like no desert but that's as far as I'd take it.
    I think the punishment you have wrote is more suitable for a 15 year old.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmm, perhaps a bit OTT. Perhaps the grounding will last until Tuesday (depending on his behaviour)....
    The tantrum started earlier in the afternoon. He found $10 at the indoor play centre (while there with vacation care). He said he told a staff member and I suggested he also inform his teacher. He was not happy stating he is saving up for an iPad. :/ I told him that I know he wants an iPad but this was not the way to get one and I would help him with some jobs. He didn't like that and said he is not doing anything to help until I gave him his money that I owed him (I borrowed money from his piggy bank one week).
    This has been a common theme lately. His outward feeling of entitlement and rude behaviour.
    The tantrum didn't just consist of those 2 statements but other hurtful ones as well. "Your not even beautiful", "I wish Aunty **** was my Mum" etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, and on a side note- have any of you been talking to my son? He also tells me that that punishment is for 10 yr olds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi..I'm typing this on my phone..so may come out bodgy .. You are angry at your son for being a human being. Put the money back in his piggy bank, give him a hug, and tell him that you love him and that you both deserve a great day out together and head off to the powerhouse. Sure, your son said some hurtful things.. I banned for 17 years and every single one of those kids said equally outrageous things. Kids will want to run off to where the fun is, or where they imagine the fun is..and face it, kids (especially at that age)'can be very turdy. They have no idea of the power of their words, they're like little Napoleons wanting to rule the world. I wouldn't punish.him (at all) , but for anything beyond that day. Build your defences now...that 6 year old will be a teenager soon, and man oh man..world of trouble.
    Do you believe his Aunt is better, or that you're not pretty? Is that what has upset you? I wouldn't think for a minute that is the case, but it seems to have really upset you. It's hard, we give them our all and it can seem sometimes like one word from them, and it is all dust.
    My dd is almost 4, we see her Dad every 6 weeks, and when he around, I may as well be something the cat dragged in. I just laugh now.. my Mother warned me that Mum have it tough, everyone else is the "hero". Please, go and have a nice day with your son.. you both wanted it. The

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (15-07-2012),insanity  (15-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (15-07-2012),MamaC  (15-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (15-07-2012),waterlily  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thing he will remember when he is grown is days like that. Oh, and I nannies , aaarrggghh, nannied ..stupid phone.