+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Vaccines and auto immune diseases

I thought I would share some information with those who are interested after others questioning those who choose not to vax. This is by no means a 'dig' at people who vax and I am not telling them they are wrong, I just want to share some of my concerns and why for me the decision is not so clear cut.

I have read a fair bit on the increase of incidence of a number of autoimmune diseases and I have my own 'theory'. I 'think' that there are a fair number of people who have a predisposed risk of developing these diseases, I think there is something (in some cases a virus, or immunological response to a virus) that turns on the 'switch' that activates these diseases. Before widespread vaccination programs these people were not exposed to as many diseases, sure they may have caught one or two of them but not all. Now when we vaccinate we produce an immunological response to an ever growing number of diseases thus increasing possible exposure to the switch. Thus increasing the incidence of auto immune diseases.

This journal article gives a very broad overview of some of the concerns around vaccines and a variety of auto immune diseases such as Guillain Barr, Lupus, diabetes and MS etc
    http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Hed...-of-the-adult/

Unfortunately it won't let me cut and paste the content

There are also some articles particular to Diabetes type 1

This is a PDF of "Risk of Vaccine Induced Diabetes in Children with a Family History of Type 1 Diabetes" published in The Open Pediatric Medicine Journal

Data exists that supports a causal relationship between
    the hemophilus immunization and type 1 diabetes [1, 2].
    Causation is supported by a large prospective randomized
    clinical trial, which demonstrated statistically significant
    clusters of extra cases of diabetes occurring between 36 to 48
    months after immunization. Four smaller epidemiology studies
    as well as animal toxicity data support the findings of the
    clinical trial [1]. The mechanisms by which vaccines can
    induce IDDM have been extensively reviewed [3]. These
    mechanisms are not specific to the hemophilus vaccine and
    all vaccines have the potential to induce diabetes
    Hope my explanation was clear

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (12-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (12-07-2012),hemakesthree  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am subscribing to see if you get any further comments. My main reason is that I am a scientist with a PhD and a very active current research program in autoimmune diseases, particularly lupus, sjogrens syndrome, scleroderma and polymyositis. I do not want to disclose my feelings on the article you cited at this stage but want to see what responses you get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you. I was not fully vaxed until adulthood, although I did get many of them from the time, just not all. With my brother how he was, I was later for any of that type of thing. Like an after thought lol. When my dd was diagnosed with coeliac disease (an auto-immune disease), I got tested too. She gets it from me, I carry it, but do not have it. Now, dd was delayed because of her health at birth, and skipped a couple, but she had more in her first 6 years than I did. I've not personally researched the link, her diagnosis came later, but I did wonder why she only started showing symptoms from school age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lolz83 View Post
    I am subscribing to see if you get any further comments. My main reason is that I am a scientist with a PhD and a very active current research program in autoimmune diseases, particularly lupus, sjogrens syndrome, scleroderma and polymyositis. I do not want to disclose my feelings on the article you cited at this stage but want to see what responses you get.
    I don't need you to talk about the article but I would be interested in your views on my theory, from what I have read many autoimmune diseases present after exposure to a virus, does it make sense that if we are are increasing the exposure of people to viruses (and immunological responses) then wouldn't it be fair to think we could increase the risk of auto immune diseases?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also pondered this link and will read with interest. I suffer an auto immune disorder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Being an 80s child I didn't recieve as many vaxs that exsist today, I've only really had a WC booster in adulthood. However I did get rubella as an infant and chicken pox in childhood

I developed an auto immune disorder last year just before my 30th, my heamatologist says its because I've had a blood condition in the past (hodgkins lymphoma) I'm more likely to develop a secondary blood condition (my auto immune disorder) so while I don't blame my cancer or chemo for the auto immune disorder I feel that's the trigger rather than the vaccines I've had

Thanks
    Reviews
    My old rheumatologist agrees with your theory. He thinks my autoimmune diseases were triggered by the hep b vax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a heap of other journal articles that are available on medline but I can't remember my logon info if people are interested I can post the link and an abstract but not the body of the info

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will be honest - I only read the section on lupus as that is the autoimmune disease that has been identified in my father. ;(

What I noticed (and I am not a medical expert in the matter) is that they refer mainly to hepatitis b vaccines - which as far as I am aware are only used when requested by the patient, not as part of childhood vaccine schedules.

So, what I am saying is a) the vaccine (as far as I know) is given when the individual is an adult; and b) in my experience my dad has never been vaccinated against hepatitis b (I have been vaccinated against hep b as I used to be exposed regularly to blood and body fluids and it was recommended to me). Yet dad has sle ...

Also the incidence of reactions in sle patients did not seem excessive to me (10/265 for one vaccine 3.77%) - that figure basically says that 96% of vaccines were successful with no adverse effect on autoimmune disease (sle in particular).

The way I see it, if I needed surgery and there was a 96% chance it would be a success then I'd go through with it - mainly because the odds are on my side.

So for me, I kind of think the argument in the article doesn't link to childhood vaccinations at all (as the vaccines mentioned are generally administered to adults).