+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I ate peanut butter almost everyday of my last 2 pregnancies and while breastfeeding, DS2 was exclusively breastfed until he was just shy of 1 year and DD until she was just shy of 6 months. Neither have nut allergies and both had peanut butter within 1 month of starting solids.
    Thermolicious do you have any family history of asthma, hayfever, eczema, dermatitis or food allergy? I suspect you need a genetic predisposition plus environmental triggers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good point bin13

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder if the fact that kids are no longer allowed peanut butter in schools will play any part. I know peanut butter is no longer a staple in this house because it's not allowed at school and can even be dangerous on someone's breath

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I ate peanut butter almost everyday of my last 2 pregnancies and while breastfeeding, DS2 was exclusively breastfed until he was just shy of 1 year and DD until she was just shy of 6 months. Neither have nut allergies and both had peanut butter within 1 month of starting solids.
    I was pretty much the same and no allergies here at all..

ETA: my 2 youngest have mild excema and my eldest has mild asthma.
    My SIL has quite severe dermatitis and excema and my sister had excema as a child, but no history of allergies.
    Last edited by 2girls1boyplus1; 14-07-2012 at 07:58.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    it is only a correlational link they have found, not causal.

Also, i think it should specify that the possible link is between mothers eating alot of nuts during pregnancy and breastfeeding as opposed to breastfeeding being responsible for nut allergies…the title is misleading and a bit like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Havent had a look at the study, but will take a look when i get a chance.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Also, i think it should specify that the possible link is between mothers eating alot of nuts during pregnancy and breastfeeding as opposed to breastfeeding being responsible for nut allergies…the title is misleading and a bit like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
    Not if the late introduction of solids is in fact what's responsible... in which case exclusive breastfeeding would be the cause.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin13 View Post
    Thermolicious do you have any family history of asthma, hayfever, eczema, dermatitis or food allergy? I suspect you need a genetic predisposition plus environmental triggers.
    Yes (me and 3/5 of my brothers)
    Yes (hubby)
    No
    No
    ? (MIL is allergic to tomatoes, not sure if that counts)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Not if the late introduction of solids is in fact what's responsible... in which case exclusive breastfeeding would be the cause.
    I didn't read where it says the late intro is partly responsible, but it is probably in the actual study or maybe i just missed it - i just read the article outlining the study.

My comment is in relation to where the article says that the nuts consumed during pregnancy and breastfeeding is the culprit:

Australian National University (ANU) researchers found it is not the breast milk itself that seems to be the culprit, but rather the traces of nuts contained in it.
    What's different is either during pregnancy or during the breastfeeding period, mums were probably eating more nuts than they do in the UK and therefore the babies were getting allergies to nuts," Professor Kljakovic said.
    "We are not saying that breast feeding should be stopped. What we are saying is that there is some risk at breast feeding if you're eating, if mum is eating peanuts.
    I think the title could focus on eating nuts while pregnant or breastfeeding being linked with nut allergies rather than alluding to breastfeeding exclusively causing nut allergies. They did say it in the article, but the way it is titled i think is a bit deceiving.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 14-07-2012 at 09:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Thermolicious and others. It's so very confusing. My DS's allergist said to give him other nuts that he is not allergic to but I've read elsewhere not to. We do. Perhaps I will just make sure I eat nuts in moderation next pregnancy. I will eat no peanuts of course because we have none in the house. I am so sad for my little boy that won't even be able to have a first kiss without first asking if the person has eaten any peanuts. I am still left wondering if anything I did contributed to his allergy. There is obviously some or many environmental triggers that are associated with our modern lifestyle.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I didn't read where it says the late intro is partly responsible, but it is probably in the actual study or maybe i just missed it - i just read the article outlining the study.

My comment is in relation to where the article says that the nuts consumed during pregnancy and breastfeeding is the culprit:

and this
    Sure, this just contradicts many earlier studies that found the maternal consumption of nuts had no bearing on allergies at all (in fact, when the official health recommendation in the UK was to abstain from nuts, they found a slight increase in allergies). If the earlier studies are true, then the correlation must be due to something else altogether.