+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Of course, the study referred to the group of children that were exclusively fed with something other than breast milk before they were six months old. I think that there is a pretty clear implication that at least most of this group were (at least initially) formula fed.
    But I don't believe it does... I think it only refers to children who were fed food and fluids other than breastmilk.

To me, the clear implication is that these children were fed solids earlier, and I suspect it's this rather than breast vs formula that the results will end up influencing.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    But I don't believe it does... I think it only refers to children who were fed food and fluids other than breastmilk.

To me, the clear implication is that these children were fed solids earlier, and I suspect it's this rather than breast vs formula that the results will end up influencing.
    Unless i have read wrongly, one of the three groups was fed only foods and fluid other than breast milk for the first six months. From birth until solids were introduced, I think it is reasonable to infer that at least most would have been formula fed.

Maybe they weren't. Either way, they are interesting and seemingly counter-intuitive results on a subject of which I have little interest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Daddy large, you said 'exclusively formula fed'. The phrase 'exclusicely' in this context means the child received nothing else but that substance until that age. Exclusively breastfed means nothing but breast milk until 6 months ie no solids, nothing else. The phrase 'exclusively formula fed' is not really used, but if it was, it would mean nothing but formula.

Therefore, your deduction is incorrect as the important distinction being made is in regards to introduction of solids etc.

The researchers have not made any mention of children receiving nothing but formula ie exclusively formula fed at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Ie - is it women who have never had a nut at all during pregnancy and breastfeeding who then give their breastfed child peanut butter at 8 months and it's those children who get the allergy? ie the children have had no opportunity for exposure at all?
    Not the case for me. I ate a lot of nuts and peanut butter through pregnancy and while breast feeding and my DS has a severe peanut allergy. I also did blw with him do I didn't delay any foods except peanuts go figure. I don't know why I was concerned about peanuts. I was cautious with some other foods because he had eczema which is a risk factor but have them carefully. For some reason my gut told me to avoid the peanuts for now because we live 30 minutes from the hospital. We found out when my DS was 14 months and my DH shared some of his toast with peanut butter. Obviously I am very interested in the topic. Unfortunately I thing it is rather more complex than just what the mother or child consumes and when.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    There are schools of thought that say our pristine, clean lifestyle play a huge part in anaphalaxis allergy. I believe it too. They found this little Island where the inhabitants are completely removed from our world and they had no history of allergies and asthma, that could come down to genes as well of course, but the kids were eating things off the ground all day. And if you look at the really huge changes in the last 100 years - hygiene, pollution etc etc.
    I agree with this.

and I'm confused lol was the higher nut allergy found in exclusively bf babies or those that had solids before 6 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Unless i have read wrongly, one of the three groups was fed only foods and fluid other than breast milk for the first six months. From birth until solids were introduced, I think it is reasonable to infer that at least most would have been formula fed.

Maybe they weren't. Either way, they are interesting and seemingly counter-intuitive results on a subject of which I have little interest.
    I didn't see a reference to such a group, if you have a link that would be great.

But again, the issue I am most interested in is the introduction of solids as opposed to the kind of milk; I suspect the breastmilk element is a spurious correlation.

Off the top of my head I'd assume they needed at least four groups to ascertain a link between one or the other:
    1) Exclusively breast fed until 6 months
    2) Exclusively formula fed until 6 months
    3) Breast fed with solids introduced before 6 months
    4) Formula fed with solids introduced before 6 months

The optimal time for the introduction of solids is quite a contentious issue these days, and allergies are of great concern to many people... but if you're not interested then you're not interested .
    Last edited by lambjam; 13-07-2012 at 19:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    and I'm confused lol was the higher nut allergy found in exclusively bf babies or those that had solids before 6 months?
    Babies who had no food or drink but breastmilk until 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know...it's something I've wondered a fair bit. My oldest has a severe cashew allergy and I snacked on those things every single day that I was breastfeeding her (until I found out) and during the most part of my pregnancy.

My other two children I didn't stop eating nuts altogether but I definitely didn't eat anywhere near as many and they have both always been nut allergy free.

My three children were all exclusively breastfed and I do wonder what will be discovered as times goes on...I do wonder if I caused my children's allergies by what I ate and did..we have no family history so it is not genetic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's interesting wasting time. So you wonder If you overdid it and triggers an allergy? Someone told me today the current advice is nuts in moderation when pg, whatever that means!

I know my daughter has a mango allergy, which only got triggered when she was about 5 and ate 5 mangoes in a row. Before that she'd had smaller amounts with no reaction. But once the allergy got triggered it hasn't gone away unfortunately

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I ate peanut butter almost everyday of my last 2 pregnancies and while breastfeeding, DS2 was exclusively breastfed until he was just shy of 1 year and DD until she was just shy of 6 months. Neither have nut allergies and both had peanut butter within 1 month of starting solids.