+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaNurture View Post
    Modern air is very polluted. Excess consumption of which can cause asthma, allergies and lung conditions.

:P
    lol touche. We're scr*wed then

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    It is definitely not an insignificant difference. The numbers imply that exclusive formula feeders are twice as likely to develop the allergy than exclusive breastfeeders. It is certainly statistically significant.
    I don't understand... wouldn't this be the exact opposite of what the study indicated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely won't sway my decision at all. Because basically, allergies have increased over time while breastfeeding has decreased. I understand there might be a link to the mothers diet though which makes more sense to me. Interesting though that the trend is moving toward food before 6 months again.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I don't understand... wouldn't this be the exact opposite of what the study indicated?
    Yes, I think DL is confused? The study implied that children who are exclusively breastfed - no other nutrition - until 6 months are almost twice as likely to have a strong allergy as children who are given other forms of nutrition.

There was no mention made of exclusive formula feeders whatsoever.

If you have a look at the blog post by a nutritionist just posted, the study is deeply flawed and based on an incident involving one child, another study from 1986 and another study from 1990-something, and none of the studies provided necessary data.

It's not news that there seems to be increasing evidence that additional foods to breastmilk should be introduced before 6 months.

IMPORTANT

If there is any truth to the implication that children who are breastfed are having a higher rate of nut allergy, I would strongly suspect that the *mothers'* diets during pregnancy and breastfeeding should be looked at.

Ie - is it women who have never had a nut at all during pregnancy and breastfeeding who then give their breastfed child peanut butter at 8 months and it's those children who get the allergy? ie the children have had no opportunity for exposure at all?

Rather than make any attempt to suggest breastfeeding isn't optimal (which is laughable) we should look at ways to mitigate any risk re allergy which might be resulting from the mother's lifestyle and diet factors.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

HouseOfFun  (13-07-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    Definitely won't sway my decision at all. Because basically, allergies have increased over time while breastfeeding has decreased. I understand there might be a link to the mothers diet though which makes more sense to me. Interesting though that the trend is moving toward food before 6 months again.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Yeah, I wrote them the wrong way around.

My point was that the difference in rates of likelihood was definitely not a small thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    An important point was made in a blog post on this study by a nutritionist http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...t-allergy-risk

"The study found that 32% of parents in this study reported breastfeeding exclusively for the first 6 months.
    This is more than twice the actual rate of exclusive breastfeeding in Australia (around 14-15%), which suggests that participants misunderstood the question, or weren't entirely truthful. The rate of exclusive breastfeeding in the ACT is higher, but nowhere near that much higher! This point should have been addressed by the authors but wasn't."

This will skew the data greatly.

I agree that it is concerning that such headlines in the media will scare off first-timers from breastfeeding.

The point is that you dont have to avoid breastfeeding, but it appears that introducing food before 6 months is important for reducing allergy risk.
    Last edited by HouseOfFun; 13-07-2012 at 12:53.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseOfFun For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to repeat - no mention was ever made about exclusive formula feeders. DL didnt just have them around the wrong way, it was a completely different point.

The point is that it's not introducing solids before 6 months that appears to have the effect (already known)

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Heh. You've been waiting a year for this, haven't you. Patiently biding your time waiting for a chance to put that mean old DaddyLarge in his place and show that he should be ignored and is WRONG WRONG WRONG. And now you've finally done it! Make a cuppa, light that ciggie and bask in your triumph.

Yes, formula feeding wasn't mentioned. You are RIGHT (finally)!!!

Of course, the study referred to the group of children that were exclusively fed with something other than breast milk before they were six months old. I think that there is a pretty clear implication that at least most of this group were (at least initially) formula fed.

Regardless, the salient point (and the entire reason I posted in the first place) was that the differences in rates of affliction were statistically significant.

And for Jah's sake let it go. It'll help you grow as a person.

*kisses*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are schools of thought that say our pristine, clean lifestyle play a huge part in anaphalaxis allergy. I believe it too. They found this little Island where the inhabitants are completely removed from our world and they had no history of allergies and asthma, that could come down to genes as well of course, but the kids were eating things off the ground all day. And if you look at the really huge changes in the last 100 years - hygiene, pollution etc etc.