+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nt scan- neck fold measurement

Hi we had our nt scan yesterday. With combined bloods we were given a downs risk of 1:4500

But.. I heard neck folds of over 2.5 m are at risk... Ours is 2.8 and is considered above 95th percentile... Abd has to b checked again at 18-20 wk scan. I'm confused now as thought our risk rate was low?
    Did anyone else have a high number on their neck fold?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I think the neck fold is a small factor in the overall calculation of your risk. Our final figures were 1:3 so very high. A cvs confirmed downs.
    Anyway, The lady told us the neck fold itself was not too worrying but my bloods were what put us into such a high risk.
    Conversely your bloods must have been so good that the slight thick neck fold didn't bring to much bearing on the final figures.
    Hope this helps.
    Congrats on a great result!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly Molly Mandy For This Useful Post:

oops  (17-07-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Someone in my due group had 3.5 and was told 3 is the 'normal cut off' but that 3.5 wasn't all that alarming anyway?

I don't know what her combined result was though, I can't remember.

But I think you take the combined risk don't you - I thought the fold was soft marker only?

Talk to your dr about your options; there is another risk test you can do in the 2nd trimester (normalyl for ppl who miss the first one). And there is also the option of an amnio conclusive test (this test has some risks involved).

I don't believe they can do another NT measurement - I thought it was only an option at the 12wk scan?

has the dr discussed the results with you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    eta: I wouldn't have thought 1:4500 was high risk though? how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks yeh I'm only 28... Was just curious..sonographer said I was low risk... Just was concerned after reading other ppls neck fold scans

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And sorry to hear milly Molly hugs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh it all sounds pretty normal to me and if dr didn't say anything I wouldn't stress too much.

sometimes the more we read the more freaked out we become - my lil guy has dilated kidneys atm and i made the mistake of dr.google - NEVER AGAIN!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a student midwife and from memory (I'm on holiday so hope the brains still wkn lol) Under 3.5mm is ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our measurement was 1.6mm but after the bloods were taken, it came back 1:100-something which is "high" risk. Since I am overweight, they are supposed to take my weight in to consideration too (rather than average weight). The midwife picked this up and double checked, she gave them my weight and the calculation came back 1:400-something which isnt high risk.

So basically its not just the measurement, its the bloods and many other factors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^^^ this