+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I don't understand why people carry on like unvaxed kids are the devils spawn when most adults are not up to date with vaccination and spreading things around themselves? Most babies who get WC get it from their parents or grandparents who were due for a booster years ago- not from some unvaccinated random child at the shopping centre!
    this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The stats are available just not widely publicised- I think thats what Caviar is getting at.
    That is what I was picking up on too. And I just had a quick look at the notifiable disease page and it says there is now 16 cases of measles in Sydney and that pneumococcal is the 2nd highest rate in terms of vax preventable disease outbreaks, I thought that was interesting. There has already been over 3'500 of whooping cough this year in NSW. Makes for some interesting reading.

And - and this is totally of subject - there is some weird unidentified disease in Cambodia that only seems to effect children between the ages of 3 months and 11, it has killed 52 out of the 59 of those infected in 2 months and there seems to be some link with hand foot and mouth disease..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Off topic too but what is hand foot and mouth disease? About 6 kids that we know have had it and it freaks me out! How contagious is it- DS has been around all of them but luckily nothing !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Off topic too but what is hand foot and mouth disease? About 6 kids that we know have had it and it freaks me out! How contagious is it- DS has been around all of them but luckily nothing !
    ds just had it last week, got it at an indoor play centre. he's fine how he had high temp, blisters on his hands feet in his mouth and on his face :-(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Its meant to be this really mild virus, bit of a temp, not feeling great but nothing major and little blisters on the soles of the feet, hands and sometimes in the mouth. Certainly nothing that is supposed to cause death!

It is supposed to be very contagious and very, very annoying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    That is what I was picking up on too. And I just had a quick look at the notifiable disease page and it says there is now 16 cases of measles in Sydney and that pneumococcal is the 2nd highest rate in terms of vax preventable disease outbreaks, I thought that was interesting. There has already been over 3'500 of whooping cough this year in NSW. Makes for some interesting reading.

:
    I check that website all the time too!

Interesting stats on age group and VPD for this year in Australia - roughly 70% of all whooping cough cases were over the age of 10, 80% of cases over the age of 10 for pneumococcal and 80% of all measles cases were over 10, certainly backs up the booster/adult vaccination argument!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (12-07-2012),Lillynix  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sure does, makes sense - the WC vax only lasts 5-9 years depending!

I check that website all the time too!

Interesting stats on age group and VPD for this year in Australia - roughly 70% of all whooping cough cases were over the age of 10, 80% of cases over the age of 10 for pneumococcal and 80% of all measles cases were over 10, certainly backs up the booster/adult vaccination argument!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    To the PP with the epileptic dog, I'm sorry your dog has epilepsy, but I would hope you don't choose not to vax a child based on this. As beebs said, risk of serious vax injury is less that 1 in a million. It's not russian roulette. You have statistically got more risk of a complication resulting from infection with a vax preventable disease.
    And to the PP comparing thalidomide to vaccines, I really do think thats a helluva jump. If you do some more reading you will see that there is grounds to suspect certain people knew what effect it was having, hence the current lawsuits against the makers. Vaccine makers tell you what the side effects are, from the most common (redness) to the very rarest (acute allergic reactions etc). There is not a generation of vaccinated children suffering unexplained limb deformities with the only common theme being vaccination IYKWIM.
    Ahh.. Both are me lol.

I am in no way saying that I won't vaccinate.

Just these things have given me pause to think.

If I made a choice to vaccinate, and my child was the one in a million, would I ever recover from that? If in 20 years, they turn around and say 'oh that vaccination we were using for the last 30 years, we are recalling it cause it increases the chance of X cancer 50 fold', I would be devastated.

I know the chance of getting an illness is higher then the chance of an adverse reaction. But still. It is such a huge decision that needs to be made.

You have to trust so many different people. Trust the scientist who came up with the vaccine. Trust the company to remake it correctly. Trust the Dr to measure and inject the correct amount. Trust the needle used is clean and not previously used.

So much trust needs to be had, and I don't trust anyone but my DP...

And you can never imagine a problem until it happens. EG there was a case where someone was 'skimming' the drugs used to put people to sleep in operations. Due to this, cross infection occurred and they came down with Hep C or Aids or something..

How do you put your faith so deeply in the system? How do you deal with the fact that your child could be that one in a million? Or do you just not think about it and just say 'it won't happen to me?'

ps, in regards to my dog. This year I missed the heart worm vac (cause I thought it might have been this that caused it). Next year I will delay the actual vaccination and see how he goes. I feel like such a bad puppy mother (I am not trying the 3 year vac as I want to figure out what it is first that is causing it. No point trying something new yet)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MsImpatient View Post
    How do you put your faith so deeply in the system? How do you deal with the fact that your child could be that one in a million? Or do you just not think about it and just say 'it won't happen to me?'
    I don't think "it won't happen to me" ever, I never think things like that - I tend to be a bit of a magnet for things that are supposed to never happen -happening.
    I get worried, just like most people I guess, I feel stressed at vaccination time, I hope that I have made the right decision. And I am glad when it is all over.

I guess at the end of the day - I know that I couldn't not vax, so the only option for me really is to vax.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (12-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    This is just rediculous
    Soon there will be vaxxing and non-vaxxing sections in restaurants and non-vaxxed people will have to sit in the back of the bus.

The whole vax/non-vax debate just drives me crazy.

Everyone is entiled to do what they want regarding vaxxing. Poeple who dont vax do so for good reason, as do people who do vax.

This thread is just having another go at those who choose not to vax. I can see this ending VERY badley...it chould be closed now!!!!!
    "rolls eyes" how is this thread just another go at those who choose not to vacc??? The thread title and op calls people who disagree with non vacc ignorant.
    I do agree this will end badly and much like every other non vacc thread.

The only thing I have to say on the subject is this ... Please remember it isnot only newborns who are at risk of these diseases ... Sick and elderly, immune suppressed (people who have had transplants, cancer patients) are prob at more risk than a newborn who can be vaccd

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-07-2012)