+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    In my experience, my friends who don't vaccinate are all middle class educated white people, mostly older mums who would take their kids to a dr watt before I would (I tend to wait it out). They are far far from 'hippy'. and I am being 100% honest when I say they have done full-on research, much more than your average vaccinating parent who is told by the dr and/or reads it in the paper or sees it on ACA
    Well I wonder if your friends would take their children on a trip to central africa where thousands of babies and children (and people) die every day from horrible diseases, without vaccinating them first!

I do understand hat you are saying and definitely defend your right to say it But I'm sorry, I think your friends are ignorant in this regard. They rely on other people vaccing their kids, for them to not have to worry about disease too much in this country.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-07-2012),Clementine Grace  (12-07-2012),Guest654  (15-07-2012),Janesmum123  (12-07-2012),KillerHeels  (12-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i wonder if they can model what would happen with dieseases if from today, we ceased vaccinating all children for the next 5 years. At the moment, the majority of people probably do vax (is that right?) so the "herd immunity" still works to a degree and protects the whole. I think the reason that people get so fired up about this topic is that with most parenting choices, your choices don't affect others. Not vaccinating has the potential to impact on other children (especially in area's like northern rivers) so people get quite passionate about it.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 12-07-2012 at 12:06.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

patsmum  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Previously I had always thought I would vaccinate when I had children.

Now being 6 weeks pregnant I am just not sure.

Reason? No hard research, however, I vaccinate my dogs. And since doing so, one of them has come down with Epilepsy. Now he may have been destined to have epilepsy anyhow, but the thing is, every year when I get him 'shot' he has a cluster of violent attacks that taper off by mid year, only to start again once he is vaccinated.

After reading 'stories' of children who have had an adverse reaction to vaccinations, I look at my dog and I think 'Do I want to play Russian roulette with my children's lives?'...

But it's hard. Either way you ARE playing Russian roulette... Either you vaccinate and they react poorly (far and few between I know) or you don't vaccinate and they get a horrible illness and may end up just as worse for wear...

What kind of choice is this really??

I have no answer yet as to what I will do. I guess I will just delay vaccinate.

But perhaps all those who don't understand why some people have a hard time deciding could try look at it from my point of view for a second...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (12-07-2012),anonyme  (12-07-2012),lones  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsImpatient View Post
    Previously I had always thought I would vaccinate when I had children.

Now being 6 weeks pregnant I am just not sure.

Reason? No hard research, however, I vaccinate my dogs. And since doing so, one of them has come down with Epilepsy. Now he may have been destined to have epilepsy anyhow, but the thing is, every year when I get him 'shot' he has a cluster of violent attacks that taper off by mid year, only to start again once he is vaccinated.

After reading 'stories' of children who have had an adverse reaction to vaccinations, I look at my dog and I think 'Do I want to play Russian roulette with my children's lives?'...

But it's hard. Either way you ARE playing Russian roulette... Either you vaccinate and they react poorly (far and few between I know) or you don't vaccinate and they get a horrible illness and may end up just as worse for wear...

What kind of choice is this really??

I have no answer yet as to what I will do. I guess I will just delay vaccinate.

But perhaps all those who don't understand why some people have a hard time deciding could try look at it from my point of view for a second...
    No research? Really? scientists don't just release a vaccination because they feel like it they research for years sometimes decades to protect people.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dog gets the 3 year shot, not annual shot. My cat gets the annual shot. Have you looked at the 3 year one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think maybe instead of slating the person that wrote that on fb maybe you should have said thanks. Thanks because its due to people like her that you can take your unvaxed newborn to a shopping centre or any other public place and not leave with a harmful or fatal disease. she's helping keep your baby safe.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (12-07-2012),LillyPonds  (12-07-2012),Pommymumofthree  (15-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    No research? Really? scientists don't just release a vaccination because they feel like it they research for years sometimes decades to protect people.

Yes but they do get it wrong, and it can take YEARS for them to discover the fact. And even then they just cover it up if they can.

Not vaccinations, however scientists did get it wrong. See link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Well I wonder if your friends would take their children on a trip to central africa where thousands of babies and children (and people) die every day from horrible diseases, without vaccinating them first!

I do understand hat you are saying and definitely defend your right to say it But I'm sorry, I think your friends are ignorant in this regard. They rely on other people vaccing their kids, for them to not have to worry about disease too much in this country.
    Im sure they do rely on herd immunity to protect their children, I haven't disputed this, and have in fact said the main reason I personally vaccinate is because I feel a social obligation to do so. I'm sure if they went to central Africa they would vax their kids as the risks of NOT vaxing are higher than the risks of vaxing. I guess in Australia where most people don't question what they are to about vaccinating they can afford to put their children and their family first (which a lot of people do- not just in the case of vaccination). I doubt though that they would be taking them at 2 mths of age, itd bd when they are older and body prob more able to cope with vaccines.

Are people this passionate about the flu vaccine? I saw on the news last night there have been 5,000 cases, with 7 deaths so far this flu season. Yet I don't see people jumping up and down about how irresponsible everyone is for not vaxing their families against the flu.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Are people this passionate about the flu vaccine? I saw on the news last night there have been 5,000 cases, with 7 deaths so far this flu season. Yet I don't see people jumping up and down about how irresponsible everyone is for not vaxing their families against the flu.
    Yeah, I think maybe because there are so many different strains of the flu, and it's always changing that people think, 'well if I get the flu shot, I'm just as likely to catch one of the other horrid strains'.... so they don't bother (?)

They do badger us quite a bit about getting the shot I think though?? DS had the flu shot along with the others when he was vaccinated.

Also, there tends to still be this misconception that the flu doesn't kill you, and isn't so horrid as getting the measles, chicken pox or Whooping cough.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 12-07-2012 at 12:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    The swine flu vaccine came out awfully quickly though, they certainly didn't research that for decades! And some people got sick from it.

Scientists make mistakes too. I for the most part trust their knowledge and research, but other people have had different experiences and have reasons to be a bit more cautious. That's all I'm saying.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (12-07-2012)