+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 332
  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Because the choice of others to not vaccinate affects everyone. I know this is not the case with a lot of vaxxers. But the thing is, it does concern me, when people don't vax, it *is* my business. Because like you, I believe in herd immunity. When people do vax in high numbers, then that is a positive thing for everyone - which is maybe why people don't feel the need to get them to prove their choices.

    You just need to look at the measles outbreak in France that is happening right now - 15,000 people so far to see what happens when the vaccination rate falls below a certain number.

    Quote Originally Posted by Milktini View Post
    Why is it that a vaccinating parent doesn't have to justify their decisions to vax where as a non vaccinating child has to come in armed with all amounts of extensive research, links, books etc. they have done and have it on hand to anyone that questions their choice? How is that any of your business?

    I can't speak for every non-vaxxing parent, but my research (and like I said I am a vaccinating parent anyway) comes from reputable sources, not becuase my neighbour believes her out of control child has autism from a vaccination. I believe in herd immunity, which is the main reason we choose to vaccinate, but this time we are considering delayed/selective vax because the chance my baby has contracting (example) Hep B from me is slim-none, my other children are vaccinated and this baby wont be at daycare so risk of bites or anything else where the disease could be contracted are very low.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    KillerHeels  (12-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,297
    Thanks
    3,120
    Thanked
    6,306
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Why are vaccinations not compulsory here? ( I don't have the answer I am just wondering as it seems the consensus is if everyone vaccinated we would have no diseases)

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Maybe they should tell all the unvacce'd people and children to stay home instead, since they're the disease spreaders....

    On a sidenote regarding vaccinations - It still amazes me that ignorant people out there think they know better than the scientists and medical profession! - do they not have any idea how many years of work and study these professionals put in? Ten years at the very least. I tend to think they know better than me.
    I followed doctors, paeds, specialists advice on the matter and delayed/selectively vaxed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    I think a lot of people don't realise that we as adults even need booster shots.

    Maybe there needs to be some more education about adult immunisations. Seems most people think they only need shots if they're going overseas.
    As a childcare worker, with no other illnesses (at the time of vaccination) or conditions (at that time), I am fully up to date, or have had it like Chicken Pox so won't get the shot, and refuse the flu shot. All other things, WC, Hep B, etc I have had and am up to date.

    You know, even people with irrefutable evidence can, and DO, get flamed. I have been even when I said my dd was born with a hole in her heart and doctors gave her hep b but all agreed any other vaccinations needed to be left until later, be more spread out, and some not given. People still said it was selfish and gee the comments about her going to daycare were awful!

  5. #44
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Because we have bodily autonomy I suppose, and if they mad vaccinations compulsory it would be a slippery slope. That is just speculation on my part.

    Also as we know there are very occasionally severe side effects from a vaccine, I suppose if it were compulsory the government would have to pay damages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Why are vaccinations not compulsory here? ( I don't have the answer I am just wondering as it seems the consensus is if everyone vaccinated we would have no diseases)

  6. #45
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That is a shame, seems to me you have very good reasons to be delayed and selectively vaxxing.

    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post

    You know, even people with irrefutable evidence can, and DO, get flamed. I have been even when I said my dd was born with a hole in her heart and doctors gave her hep b but all agreed any other vaccinations needed to be left until later, be more spread out, and some not given. People still said it was selfish and gee the comments about her going to daycare were awful!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Ellewood  (12-07-2012)

  8. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktini View Post
    Why is it that a vaccinating parent doesn't have to justify their decisions to vax where as a non vaccinating child has to come in armed with all amounts of extensive research, links, books etc. they have done and have it on hand to anyone that questions their choice? How is that any of your business?
    It's because the medical community reccommend vaccianation due to extensive medical research. So if you choose to go against the medical profession, well you need to be able to justify your decision. If we didn't vaccinate, babies and people would be dying all the time from horrible diseases! So if you choose not to, well you're just lucky that so many of the rest of us do.

  9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (12-07-2012),Blondi83  (12-07-2012),Guest654  (15-07-2012),KillerHeels  (12-07-2012),patsmum  (12-07-2012),Pommymumofthree  (15-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

  10. #47
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,125
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,694
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my experience, my friends who don't vaccinate are all middle class educated white people, mostly older mums who would take their kids to a dr watt before I would (I tend to wait it out). They are far far from 'hippy'. and I am being 100% honest when I say they have done full-on research, much more than your average vaccinating parent who is told by the dr and/or reads it in the paper or sees it on ACA.

    Anyway, I guess you could look at the WC vaccine in the sense that it's 85% effective, which is possibly lessening due to a new strain, it does have possible side effects and is bundled with a whole lot of other vaccines in the same needle, also with side effects. If it was any other medication (ie contraception) people would be a bit more wary I think. I know I would be.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

    lones  (13-07-2012)

  12. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktini View Post
    Why is it that a vaccinating parent doesn't have to justify their decisions to vax where as a non vaccinating parent has to come in armed with all amounts of extensive research, links, books etc. they have done and have it on hand to anyone that questions their choice? How is that any of your business?

    I can't speak for every non-vaxxing parent, but my research (and like I said I am a vaccinating parent anyway) comes from reputable sources, not becuase my neighbour believes her out of control child has autism from a vaccination. I believe in herd immunity, which is the main reason we choose to vaccinate, but this time we are considering delayed/selective vax because the chance my baby has contracting (example) Hep B from me is slim-none, my other children are vaccinated and this baby wont be at daycare so risk of bites or anything else where the disease could be contracted are very low.
    I don't think I agree with you- vaxxing parents are often asked to explain why they vax (particularly online!) and to justify why they inject their child with "toxins/heavy metals/aborted fetus tissue/autism/cancer" etc. Like you say, there is LOTS of reputable research to support vaccinations, and none to support the usual claims made by those who don't vaccinate. That is probably why you see anti-vaxxers continually asked for links, books, info etc. What business is it of mine? Well, as someone who believes in herd immunity surely you can see that not vaccinating can have a negative impact on the herd? So yes, I do feel it's my business if there is a chance it will impact MY newborn, MY elderly Gran etc. This is the main reason I'd question where someone got their info- in the hope of prompting them to more reliable research, more accurate information and ultimately, a better choice. This is just MY take on it.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (12-07-2012),Guest654  (15-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    993
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked
    392
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are always going to be people that cannot be vaxed due to other medical reasons, but if everyone else did then i believe there would be far less spread of certain disease and it would in turn help protect those that want a vaccine and cannot have it due to other medical conditions. people need to think of the bigger picture and about the safety of the world our kids are going to grow up in.... i want my kids and your kids safe and disease free.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (14-07-2012),beebs  (12-07-2012),patsmum  (12-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)

  16. #50
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,786
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,246
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    It's because the medical community reccommend vaccianation due to extensive medical research. So if you choose to go against the medical profession, well you need to be able to justify your decision. If we didn't vaccinate, babies and people would be dying all the time from horrible diseases! So if you choose not to, well you're just lucky that so many of the rest of us do.
    Exactly right.
    The scary bit is that more and more people are not vaxx therefore putting more and more people at risk including their own children.

    If everyone stopped vaxx today we would have all those horrible disease that killed thousands of people back and spreading like fire.

    The only reason non vaxx kids are ok and doing well is because of all of us who vaxx.

    I don't care what your reasons are my personal opinion is that not vaxx your child is selfish (obviously medical reasons aside)

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (12-07-2012),beebs  (12-07-2012),Clementine Grace  (12-07-2012),LillyPonds  (12-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-07-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Need advice - I'm speechless
    By singlemumma82 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 22-02-2012, 19:38
  2. Excuse my ignorance.....
    By PuppyGuts in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-01-2012, 08:54
  3. Speechless...
    By Numb in forum Issues with Family Members
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 18:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Sudocrem / Infacol
Sudocrem® Healing Cream is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash, eczema, abrasions, wounds and minor skin irritations. Infacol Wind Drops are an effective method of treating wind in infants.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!