+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Everyone has a story Smartiecat. There aren't many people that wouldn't feel for your sister and nephews situation and most people would never intentionally put any child at risk. I am very sure that most people just don't send their sick kid to kindy because they 'don't want to miss out on their 5th packet of ciggies for the week' or their weekly maniicure....I am pretty sure for most people, the pressure is way more than that. Don't assume people are heartless or selfish...EVERYONE is dealing with something. Just different somethings.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 16-07-2012 at 15:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I'm not sure their is an easy solution to this. Some people have no one to help, no family etc. And others have no immune system. I really hate that society makes us work to the detriment of everything else, we pretty much will work till we die till it is time for us to retire. We don't get time off for kids. We get 3 days bereavement leave at my work - which i am told is far better than most places. I mean really - 3 days off if you lose a child wtf!?
    I don't think there is any easy solution either. I just wish people could be kinder to each other, and more understanding in the meantime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    Be thankful that your child's "sniffle" does not require hospitalization ... My sis has had to sell her house they can't afford it on one wage ... Yes they get carers allowance $70 week - but with 2 x hosp appts week $20 parking, the pad that goes around his feeding tube are $7.50 each - he needs one a day, plus medication $100+ week.
    I actually can't believe your sitting here arguing about your right to send your sick child out to be looked after ... Weird much?
    For a slight sniffle, not when very sick. Yes, I am, I am a single mum and have experienced extreme poverty, inabilty to purchase medication, food, a place to live. Have you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Best case scenario I think the best place for a sick child is at home with a parent to cuddle them as someone else said. But sometimes that just isn't possible.

Yes it annoys me when my child gets a sickness from pre school (and I'm going to be honest, he is constantly catching all.the.time). I have to pay for the day, my child is sick *again*. But aren't I lucky that at least for now I can stay home

I doubt any parent wants to send their child sick to DC/pre school. But I blame a whole range of things - the lack of support both single and partnered people receive thru family. An inflexible work environment. An inability to take another day off bc that may mean vital bills can't be paid for a family that is already on the edge of poverty.

Wouldn't it be great if we all had family close by to take our sick child. That our workplaces offered unlimited paid sick leave (and someone in this thread said their partner gets it). No fear of being sacked or their hours cut. When that happens, there will be a huge reduction in sick kids in care.

and can I also point out, not all the sick kids have parents that work. I know SAHM's that send their sick kids bc "they pay for the day".

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-07-2012),Benji  (17-07-2012),Ellewood  (16-07-2012),Lillynix  (16-07-2012),share a book  (16-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (16-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nearly 15 years in childcare has shown me that the SAHPs are the ones most unwilling to keep kids home or collect sick kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow really? That is terrible. I swear it was the same at my DS1s preschool. SAHPs who get their nails done, go to the gym and cafes and meanwhile their child all feverish and sick all over the place.

At the time my son had malabsorption issues, his immune system was compromised and he would just pick up every little thing - he was a sick little boy and missed a total of one whole year out of two years at preschool - which I had to pay $50 a day or I would lose the spot. What. a. waste. of. money.

Grrr - so I do get upset when people bring their sick kids to school- I can't help it, they owe me $4000

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Nearly 15 years in childcare has shown me that the SAHPs are the ones most unwilling to keep kids home or collect sick kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Wow really? That is terrible. I swear it was the same at my DS1s preschool. SAHPs who get their nails done, go to the gym and cafes and meanwhile their child all feverish and sick all over the place.

At the time my son had malabsorption issues, his immune system was compromised and he would just pick up every little thing - he was a sick little boy and missed a total of one whole year out of two years at preschool - which I had to pay $50 a day or I would lose the spot. What. a. waste. of. money.

Grrr - so I do get upset when people bring their sick kids to school- I can't help it, they owe me $4000
    Yep, we once had most of our staff walk out by 9am leaving very few of us with a lot of kids, including 8 babies and 10 toddlers, so we called the parents. All but 2 working parents collected their kids before lunch, only 5 SAHPs (who made up the majority of the over 2s) came to collect their kids. The worst cases of sick kids who were taken to daycare (pneumonia, swine flu, gastro) have not been working parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yep, we once had most of our staff walk out by 9am leaving very few of us with a lot of kids, including 8 babies and 10 toddlers, so we called the parents. All but 2 working parents collected their kids before lunch, only 5 SAHPs (who made up the majority of the over 2s) came to collect their kids. The worst cases of sick kids who were taken to daycare (pneumonia, swine flu, gastro) have not been working parents.
    Wow! I tell them to call me if DS do much as whinges all day because I'd rather get him home than him be miserable all day as its not like him and we all have off days and mummy or daddy cuddles are the best on those days. Work always comes second, but it's hard too as I don't get paid if I don't work (contractor) and live week to week as a single parent. Lucky his dad helps a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Wow! I tell them to call me if DS do much as whinges all day because I'd rather get him home than him be miserable all day as its not like him and we all have off days and mummy or daddy cuddles are the best on those days. Work always comes second, but it's hard too as I don't get paid if I don't work (contractor) and live week to week as a single parent. Lucky his dad helps a lot.
    Yes, I found it quite amusing that very few working parents don't collect kids when they come down sick. Just to be clear, my dd was rarely sick but taking time off for injuries (usually sustained at daycare) that required hospital trips meant that if she had the sniffles (clear, slightly runny nose) I was in no position to take time off. Once she went and was vomiting, but had no symptoms of illness until 4pm and I finished work at 4. She had been there since before 7am playing and eating, not complaining of being sick. I kept her home for 24 hours after the last vomit. Just in case people thought I sent her regardless of anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The world is far from perfect and we all have different priorities and that is why we wont all see eye to eye. On the other hand, 33 pages further on a rather controversial subject and we're keeping it neat and polite. Well done ladies/gents.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-07-2012)