+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother spent the first 10 years of his life in and out of hospital. He looked the same as any other kid, wanted to go to birthday parties and play with other kids, but one bad cold/ infection could put him in hospital for days as his body could not cope, many times he had grand mal seizures as a result, many times he was in intensive care. Exposure to anything worse (such as measles etc) would have possibly been deadly. My poor Mum was always torn, she wanted to give him a relatively normal life and let him do the things other kids do, but there was always one kid sent to school sick because the parents couldn't afford a day off etc....this may have a monetary effect on these parents but for my brother it could mean a lot worse. He was also unable to have any vaccinations as his body could not cope, so he relied on others around him protecting his vulnerable immune system.

So, when i read the posts by the people who send their kids to daycare / school sick as you "can't afford" to keep them at home, i shake my head...If you say it isn't a selfish decision, well actually, it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm sorry for what your brother went through Happydance, it sounds like a nightmare and very sad...just don't ever forget that *everyone* has a story and nothing is black and white.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

share a book  (16-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    I'm sorry for what your brother went through Happydance, it sounds like a nightmare and very sad...just don't ever forget that *everyone* has a story and nothing is black and white.
    I totally agree, Refresh. I am glad that most people are fortunate enough not to o through what my parents and brother had to go through. If they did, their perspective on ths matter may be completely different

5. The Following User Says Thank You to happydance For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In turn, other people have a story that you/your parents/brother do not have and therefore it is all relative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have starved and been homeless. Not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to take time off for every sniffle.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (16-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happydance View Post
    My brother spent the first 10 years of his life in and out of hospital. He looked the same as any other kid, wanted to go to birthday parties and play with other kids, but one bad cold/ infection could put him in hospital for days as his body could not cope, many times he had grand mal seizures as a result, many times he was in intensive care. Exposure to anything worse (such as measles etc) would have possibly been deadly. My poor Mum was always torn, she wanted to give him a relatively normal life and let him do the things other kids do, but there was always one kid sent to school sick because the parents couldn't afford a day off etc....this may have a monetary effect on these parents but for my brother it could mean a lot worse. He was also unable to have any vaccinations as his body could not cope, so he relied on others around him protecting his vulnerable immune system.

So, when i read the posts by the people who send their kids to daycare / school sick as you "can't afford" to keep them at home, i shake my head...If you say it isn't a selfish decision, well actually, it is.
    I understand ... This is what my sister goes thru with my nephew ... It just seems some people will never really "get it" right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    And vice versa?

P.S My kids have never been to daycare, I take them to work with me so it is not 'me' I am talking about. I really object to people assuming others are selfish when they have no idea about their situation. Most people are actually just trying to do the best they can.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 16-07-2012 at 15:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    I understand ... This is what my sister goes thru with my nephew ... It just seems some people will never really "get it" right?
    Will you the bills and buy groceries for all the casual workers who lose their jobs from too much time off?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    We have starved and been homeless. Not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to take time off for every sniffle.
    Be thankful that your child's "sniffle" does not require hospitalization ... My sis has had to sell her house they can't afford it on one wage ... Yes they get carers allowance $70 week - but with 2 x hosp appts week $20 parking, the pad that goes around his feeding tube are $7.50 each - he needs one a day, plus medication $100+ week.
    I actually can't believe your sitting here arguing about your right to send your sick child out to be looked after ... Weird much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not sure their is an easy solution to this. Some people have no one to help, no family etc. And others have no immune system. I really hate that society makes us work to the detriment of everything else, we pretty much will work till we die till it is time for us to retire. We don't get time off for kids. We get 3 days bereavement leave at my work - which i am told is far better than most places. I mean really - 3 days off if you lose a child wtf!?