+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Re: Hep B vac, the literature the hospital has given me (for this pregnancy) says that many parents and family members dont know they have it and can therefore pass it on. I have been thinking about this as an anti-vax friend asked me why I would give my DD hep b vax when I and DH dont have it. But to my mind, I think why not give it? I would rather that my kids have as much protection as they possibly can, just in case something happened like another kid who had hep B bit them or something. (yes I know its unlikely) JMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by In My Stride View Post
    Your post is the last one I read, seen one vax/non vax thread, you've seen them all. For my part I think it's simple, if your child is SICK (or yourself) keep them isolated & don't spread the germs (vaxed - non vaxed it makes no difference) the one thing that will stop the spread of disease quicker is a return to basic hygiene & manners. I have a compromised immune system, if I had a $ for every shop assistant that coughed & spluttered in their hand before picking up my food, every snot ridden bleary eyed child delivered to child care because Mummy cares more about her job . . . . I swear! It's not rocket science & I'm sick of other peoples selfishness. Hands up if you've taken a child 'recovering' from chicken pox for a quick grocery run, you just spread it around, that's all it takes for someone like me (or a newborn) to get the illness - vaxing is a moot point when we are a selfish society that puts the $ before our children
    Well lets come back from lala land lady cos that aint going to happen....

Seriously, coughing shop assistants and selfish mothers (I see the dads don't get a look-in here!). BTW, do you realise that the 'contagious' window is usually before any real symptoms emerge (and not when one when recovering)?? And this is how germs get spread. So all it takes for someone tyo have been in contact with the sick person, before the real sickness set in, to then spread those germs onto another and so on and so forth. You really think it's that simple?

And that is exactly why the department of health have a vaccination program in place... because simply keeping a sick person 'isolated' although important, just doesn't work on the whole. But preventative measures ie. vaccinations, does work!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (15-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk EnJayDee View Post
    I also had these as a child. I had measels at 10 months, chicken pox at 12 months and mumps at 18 months. The only reason my kids are getting MMR is because of rubella. And even then, they have a massive chamce of having no immunity to it anyway. I have had the Rubella shot 15 times in my life and even straight after when they do the test to check your immunity, it has never raised. I am never getting the shot again and my children won't be getting it numerous times if their immunity is low after vax.

They will also not have varicella shot. I had shingles as an adult as well as chicken pox as a child so I don't see any need for them to have it.

ETA - my mother has also had the rubella shot tooamy times in her life and has no immunity like myself.
    Why would the fact you have had chicken pox and shingles mean your kids don't need to be vaccinated against them?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Maybe she meant that 70% were over 10 yrs old?
    Yes sorry that's what I meant! Pregnancy brain!

http://www9.health.gov.au/cda/Source/Rpt_5_sel.cfm

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    Possibly the most selfish post I have seen to date on bh??????

By your own theory anyone who is sick shouldn't leave the house???? Yet it is acceptable to take a child out sick because you have to work. I'm sorry I know we dont live in a perfect world but if your child is sick it is up to you to make appropriate care for them or take time off from work ... Of that means you have to take sick:annual:unpaid leave then so be it ... If you have an employer who is unsympathetic to this ... stop whining and find a new job.

I have worked ... I was fortunate my mumcaredfor my son. When he was sick I still took time off to care for him (I'm his mother that isy responsibility) ... I had a extremely unsympathetic workplace who I had to threaten them with legal action due to discrimination during pregnancy. I had to take time off when my son myself and my mum was sick!!!

So here's an example for you ... Since you seem to like hypotheticals ... Imagine your child has had cancer which led to say a bone marrow transplant ... So your child has no immune system ... How would you feel if you read that comment above?????
    Oh please. I was proving a point to those judgemental women who are calling mothers selfish for having to work when their children are sick. Nothing else. So I'm not interested on your hysterical postings nor your hypothetical dramatics. And I never said anything about my personal situation so there's no need for me to get a new job. Now calm down, and yes, if my child had no immune system I would indeed isolate as much as possible. Also, if that's the most selfish post you've read in BH, you're in for a shock.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Benji  (17-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (15-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Oh please. I was proving a point to those judgemental women who are calling mothers selfish for having to work when their children are sick. Nothing else. So I'm not interested on your hysterical postings nor your hypothetical dramatics. And I never said anything about my personal situation so there's no need for me to get a new job. Now calm down, and yes, if my child had no immune system I would indeed isolate as much as possible. Also, if that's the most selfish post you've read in BH, you're in for a shock.
    I apologies of my hysterics have upset you ... See your comment that people with chronic illnesses shoulf just stay home hits home for me ... My nephew has no immune system.
    He was 6 mths old lost lots of weight went to hospital , came home 7 mths later (was in isolation the whole time) ... He was only able to leave hosp once his central line was removed ... His big sis had to live with grandparents for that period ... For the first year at home they rarely left the house ... The next 12 mths they do a little more ... His is now 3 and still has drugs to surpress his immune system. Despite this he has to be readmitted a few times when he has caught "bugs" thAt most children shrug off it is 1-2 wks in hospital and nail biting the whole time IF he will recover.
    My Sis and bil have had to sell their home as they can't afford it in one wage and they had always planned on her working. So I guess sometimes it is a lot about choice too isn't it - you have to work or what???
    So maybe next time you should wave the flag on issues you are actually affected bu

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgive my ignorance (and the fact that i havent read the whole thread) but don't children need to be vaccinated to attend school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No they don't at all, it would be illegal to withhold education based on vaxx status. They just have to show that they have provided a conscientious objector form.

Quote Originally Posted by mummysboyy View Post
    Forgive my ignorance (and the fact that i havent read the whole thread) but don't children need to be vaccinated to attend school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummysboyy View Post
    Nope. As above either vaccinated or CO form. Although, I have only ever needed to show my forms once (C&K kindy.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No they don't need to be vaccinated. My daycare center said they would like a record of the vaccinations in case a child didn't receive a certain vax and there's an outbreak, they will ask the parent to keep the child at home so it doesn't contract that particular broken out disease.

You know, finances and selfishness aside, when I was sick as a kid, I preferred to stay home with my mum and have lots of cuddles. Mum's cuddles always made me feel and get better much quicker.
    Shouldn't we start thinking about what is best for our kids instead of what is best for us parents and what is best for other kids/adults in daycare/school/shops? It's always best for the child to stay home as they are safe, comfortable and will get better much quicker with the proper 1 on 1 care of the parent.
    Just my opinion anyway.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (16-07-2012)