+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    For those who say 'most' adults arent up to date with their vaccinations, do you actually have any stats to back that up? All my friends are (apart from those who are non-vaxxers by choice). I think saying 'most' arent up to date is a big stretch.

My MIL has a heart condition so she cant be vaccinated. Im 2 minds about this. I do believe in peoples right to make their own decisions with their children, but choosing not to vax does affect innocent people like my MIL by putting their health at risk. I really dont know what I think about it....
    If you look at the disease reports website ( with all the stats from our government) over 70% ( 80% for some) of people over the age of 10 contracted whooping cough and measles in this country last year, so yes either the vaccines don't work or they need boosters

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    for people who don't vax..or select..if everyone is oz (or worldwide) stopped vaxing..would you be concerned?
    If every child were forced to be vaccinated to schedule, regardless of health status, immune system status, prematurity, past severe adverse reaction to a vaccine (including anaphylaxis), religious beliefs, etc etc etc - would you be concerned? If not, isn't that also "selfish" and "placing the health of your child above others"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    If every child were forced to be vaccinated to schedule, regardless of health status, immune system status, prematurity, past severe adverse reaction to a vaccine (including anaphylaxis), religious beliefs, etc etc etc - would you be concerned? If not, isn't that also "selfish" and "placing the health of your child above others"?
    kids with real risk to vax ..I do not include in this ..thats why I vax as well..to hoepfully somewhat help protect them..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I am always concerned, as a delayed vaxer of course, as im sure you would be with your to schedule vaxxed kids? but just as I did not " run out" and get DS the dtap vaccine when whooping cough was at its peak in 2010 I just worked harder looking after my child's immune system , being extra careful when we were out and making sure all the adults in his life were up to date with boosters, and as my GP said at the time when he was telling me yes he has had a few of his patients with whooping cough in his surgery he also admitted when I asked the question were all these kids vaccinated and the answer was yes, which probably is why I get annoyed with some who assume their kids are fool proof just because they are vaxxed ( especially for pertussis as we all know the current vaccine does not cover this new strain) I wish some of the vaxxers were more educated in watching out for symptoms of these diseases in their kids who are passing it on
    Again, I am lucky, I have a village ( mum, sister, and 2 SIL who can look after DS anytime) I don't need daycare/pre school which by the sounds of the previous posts are where all the sick kids hang out!
    So yes, obviously I will watch out for measles but no I will not run out and get the vax until we are ready, yes it can be harmful which is why I am diligent in keeping my son healthy and being over cautious if he looks like he is even getting a sniffle
    don't have time to reply properly ..but have to say so much of what you have stated is wrong...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had a bit more of a read on the Hep B vaccine now being considered essential at birth for every child in Australia.

From http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/in...ook-hepatitisb

Recommendations

(i) Infants and young children

A birth dose of thiomersal-free monovalent hepatitis B vaccine, followed by doses given in combination vaccines (such as DTPa-hepB, DTPa-hepB-IPV, DTPa-hepB-IPV-Hib or Hib (PRP-OMP)-hepB) at 2, 4 and either 6 or 12 months, is recommended for all children.

The rationale for the universal birth dose is not only to prevent vertical transmission from a carrier mother (recognising that there may be errors or delays in maternal testing, reporting, communication or appropriate response), but also to prevent horizontal transmission in the first months of life from a carrier among household or other close contacts.17 The birth dose should be given as soon as the baby is physiologically stable, and preferably within 24 hours of birth. Every effort should be made to administer the vaccine before discharge from the obstetric hospital.

Extensive experience indicates that the birth dose of hepatitis B vaccine is very well tolerated by newborn infants. It does not interfere with either the establishment or maintenance of breastfeeding, and it is not associated with an increased risk of either fever or medical investigation for sepsis in the newborn.18-20

If an infant has missed the birth dose and is aged 8 days or older, a catchup schedule is not required. A primary course of a hepatitis B-containing combination vaccine should be given at 2, 4 and either 6 or 12 months of age (provided the mother is HBsAg negative).

NB. All babies (preterm or term) of carrier mothers must be given a birth dose of hepatitis B vaccine and HBIG.
    (Last bold is theirs. First is mine).

So the rationale is to prevent the newborn contracting Hep B from mum, dad, or any other carer in the first few months of life. If the parents are clear, and the child has no other exposure to Hep B (remembering Hep B is spread via blood - wounds, injecting, etc or sex) why is it considered essential? The government literature is unclear on this. Presumably to help stop the spread to vulnerable communities? How does this actually work when the baby is at minimal risk of contracting the disease? And why Hep B specifically? I think it's healthy to question governmental protocol. These would be questions I'd ask my HCP before submitting to a birth vax, personally.

I'm not sure why this kind of questioning attracts such passionate vitriol from the pro-blanket-vaccinations-for-all camp?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hold on, I thought you said that she wasn't vaxxed for medical reasons. Which it understandable. I don't think people should vax if it is going to make them sick etc.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I have done the research. I said for MY child, it would be preferable. That is all. Anyway, she has had it, so saying fine then don't vax shows you are half reading then making assumption.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There was one recently. Maybe you should go back to the vaccine section and have a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    I've been on BH since 2005 and I have never seen that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it is healthy to question things. Not sure who you are referring to as "pro-blanket-vaccinations-for-all camp"?? I and every pro vaxxer on this thread has said of course we know that not everyone can be vaccinated. Which is why it is so much more important that those who can be vaxxed, are.

I am going out on a limb here, I can understand why someone low risk would choose not to vaccinate against hep b at birth. I get it, I really do. I don't understand why you would vaccinate against things like whooping cough. But I can see why you would choose not to vaccinate against hep b.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Just had a bit more of a read on the Hep B vaccine now being considered essential at birth for every child in Australia.

From http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/in...ook-hepatitisb

(Last bold is theirs. First is mine).

So the rationale is to prevent the newborn contracting Hep B from mum, dad, or any other carer in the first few months of life. If the parents are clear, and the child has no other exposure to Hep B (remembering Hep B is spread via blood - wounds, injecting, etc or sex) why is it considered essential? The government literature is unclear on this. Presumably to help stop the spread to vulnerable communities? How does this actually work when the baby is at minimal risk of contracting the disease? And why Hep B specifically? I think it's healthy to question governmental protocol. These would be questions I'd ask my HCP before submitting to a birth vax, personally.

I'm not sure why this kind of questioning attracts such passionate vitriol from the pro-blanket-vaccinations-for-all camp?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In fact, it was the day before yesterday that someone linked this website into a thread about gardasil.

http://www.informyourself.com.au/index.html

I think maybe you are just missing the threads?

Don't you remember a few years ago when all those anti vaxxers where on here and they used to link things from AVN, Whale etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    I've been on BH since 2005 and I have never seen that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Hold on, I thought you said that she wasn't vaxxed for medical reasons. Which it understandable. I don't think people should vax if it is going to make them sick etc.
    She was delayed. Some were skipped, but she had MMR at 5. The only one she had to schedule was hep b and only because she was maybe at risk and it would have done more harm than giving her the vax.