+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    According to the CDC, giving a birth dose of hepatitis B vaccine is a good idea because:
    Electric Pink, you seem to have a lot of info. I have a question re: Hep B shots that isn't relevant here. Im
    Considering delaying it for my bubba Due in Dec. May I PM you???

In My Stride is offline 3 babies, 2 businesses, 1 husband & a partridge in a pear tree
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    Your answer is too simplistic and unrealistic in today's world. Employers often make it impossible for people to take sick leave or if they do allow it because they are forced to by legislation, they often make it known that they are unhappy with employees taking leave, especially to care for children.

Before you continue to criticise those mothers who care more about their jobs (your words) turn your anger towards the employers and legislators.
    Sorry I don't agree, I was a single mother for 6 years, I worked full time, if my daughter got sick, she stayed home. I don't know employment laws nationwide but where I live you get 10 days p/a & 3 days paid carers leave per child. I have been in the position where I had a sick child & no leave, I took UNPAID leave, an employer would end up deep in it for firing a parent who took (short term) leave to care for a sick child. Justify it all you like but when you go out in society with a communicable disease you are spreading it & something that might be a minor inconvenience for your family might render my family motherless - so excuse me if I think your paltry excuses are selfish!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by In My Stride View Post
    Sorry I don't agree, I was a single mother for 6 years, I worked full time, if my daughter got sick, she stayed home. I don't know employment laws nationwide but where I live you get 10 days p/a & 3 days paid carers leave per child. I have been in the position where I had a sick child & no leave, I took UNPAID leave, an employer would end up deep in it for firing a parent who took (short term) leave to care for a sick child. Justify it all you like but when you go out in society with a communicable disease you are spreading it & something that might be a minor inconvenience for your family might render my family motherless - so excuse me if I think your paltry excuses are selfish!
    I've been a SAHM most of my kids lives and I admit, it does p*ss me off when people *knowingly* send their kids to DC and pre school sick. I then have to keep my son home sick, and pay for the day, to stop the transmission to other kids....

BUT..... the truth is.... I simply don't understand. If my child is sick, it sucks I have to pay for the day but I don't have to call in sick. I know you say you've been a single mum and still battled on, taking unpaid sick leave (and thank you, it's nice to see a working parent quarantining their child). But again... but... some mums are casual and don't get sick leave. They might be financially be really really struggling and taking an unpaid sick day may mean they don't eat for the week. While it's illegal to fire someone for that, employers are sneaky. I've heard of several cases even on BH, of parents demoted, having their hours cut, given unpalatable duties hoping they would quit... as a result of taking too many sick days, and it's very hard to prove.

But I digress lol

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

share a book  (14-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have always been told that if a child has a clear runny nose, the child is fine to go to daycare. When it turns into a green runny nose, the child has to stay home. It even says so in our daycare center booklet that we get when signing up with them.

A good friend of mine has her son in the same daycare as DS. She works part time at Woolies. She was talking to me about how her son had croup and this disgusting green nose.
    She asked me if I knew if our daycare used Aloe Vera tissues for the kids. I told her I had no clue, but I asked her why she wanted to know.
    She said she was going to send her DS to daycare the next day because she had to work.
    I told her that they wouldn't appreciate her sending DS to daycare with croup and a green runny nose.
    She said "Tough luck. I have to work, I don't have a choice".
    I then got a little upset and said that I would hold her personally responsible of my DS got croup off her son. He's had it 4 times in his 2,5 years on this earth and each and every time it means neither of us gets any sleep for a few weeks!
    She never thought of him spreading a disease like that. She apologized for not thinking it through. Yet who did I see at daycare next day? HER son!
    I ignored her messages and phonecalls for 3 weeks and she finally got the idea. Since then she hasn't sent her son to daycare when he's sick. She gets her mother to watch her son while she works.

What beats me though, is why daycare centers do not refuse kids who are obviously sick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've seen kids at 9am that are undoubtedly sick. Sweaty and clearly running a temp, balling, croupy cough. So they were obviously sick at drop off and the parents had to know. But I guess many drop and run before the DC realises.

It sucks. But I blame the lack of a village, that we often don't have family to help and that workplaces are often inflexible more than anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We send kids home or refuse to take them if they are unwell. A clear runny nose or mild cough is accepted but the sore eyes, green nose, chesty cough, being too miserable to play, they have to go home. It is really hard, unpaid leave once or twice is ok, but not ongoing. One year I got no holidays because I used them up in dribs and drabs when dd had a siezure, burnt her hand, fell of daycare equipment. Each of those meant 4 to 10 days off in a row, then the usual illness that was a day or 2 off, or the daycare closes for a week because of a plumbing problem. I used all sick days, annual leave and some unpaid leave that year so no holidays. It really isn't black and white. Not everyone has family and I have been a single mum for 9 years now with no assistance, financially or otherwise, from her father or his family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I've seen kids at 9am that are undoubtedly sick. Sweaty and clearly running a temp, balling, croupy cough. So they were obviously sick at drop off and the parents had to know. But I guess many drop and run before the DC realises.
    Oh that's just awful. I could never send my DS to daycare in that condition. Apart from the selfish risk of spreading the germs, your poor baby needs his mummy at a time like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    I have always been told that if a child has a clear runny nose, the child is fine to go to daycare. When it turns into a green runny nose, the child has to stay home. It even says so in our daycare center booklet that we get when signing up with them.

A good friend of mine has her son in the same daycare as DS. She works part time at Woolies. She was talking to me about how her son had croup and this disgusting green nose.
    She asked me if I knew if our daycare used Aloe Vera tissues for the kids. I told her I had no clue, but I asked her why she wanted to know.
    She said she was going to send her DS to daycare the next day because she had to work.
    I told her that they wouldn't appreciate her sending DS to daycare with croup and a green runny nose.
    I then got a little upset and said that I would hold her personally responsible of my DS got croup off her son. He's had it 4 times in his 2,5 years on this earth and each and every time it means neither of us gets any sleep for a few weeks!
    She never thought of him spreading a disease like that. She apologized for not thinking it through. Yet who did I see at daycare next day? HER son!
    I ignored her messages and phonecalls for 3 weeks and she finally got the idea. Since then she hasn't sent her son to daycare when he's sick. She gets her mother to watch her son while she works.

What beats me though, is why daycare centers do not refuse kids who are obviously sick!
    Croup isn't actually contagious. Any virus which causes an inflamed/sore throat can cause croup in a child.. But I get your point. Your friend isn't sharing croup around but she is clearly sending her child to daycare with some kind of virus.. plus its not going to be good for a child's recovery from croup to be running around at daycare

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post

This really annoys me too grrrr!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Sigh, what I am really wondering is when we have a big outbreak of something like measles, just how many "non vaxxers" will run out to get their kids vaxxed.
    It will eventually happen here..Fance..Ukraine and Germanyand a few more are in strife with measles at the moment..it will eventually head this way..very sad

I do get peoples concern of vax..but the risk is far greater if the vax rate drops..

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (16-07-2012)