+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    3!? I was under the impression that most industries were 10 (for full-time employees)...?
    We get 3 paid, but can take more unpaid with a medical certificate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    That's terrible We're very lucky in that DH gets unlimited paid sick leave, I couldn't imagine him surviving on just 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    That's terrible We're very lucky in that DH gets unlimited paid sick leave, I couldn't imagine him surviving on just 3.
    Yes, so as you can imagine, we use them for the big things, like when our kids injure themselves or come down too sick for daycare. So yes, I sent her with a sniffle because I might have her home with vomiting the next week.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What industry is that? I thought it was law in Australia to provide a minimum of 5 paid sick leave days for permanent employees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you work 5 days a week then 10 days sick leave is the bare minimum, 4 days -8 , 3 days -6 etc, it is in the National Employment Standards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    3??? We get 8!
    as an employer it is a catch 22 as we are a small business and yes my staff are rarely sick but their kids always are so their sick days are then up for their kids ( as well as their 10 days parental leave)
    It does cost us money when they are off , there are only 6 in the office, but we have to suck it up and realize its part of the risk/commitment we have as a small business
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 14-07-2012 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went from permanent to casual in '09 when dd started Prep, but I was sure it stayed the same. Workmates still say 3 :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Without reading the rest of the thread, what about casuals, if they dont work they dont get paid. And they still have to pay for the daycare they arent using when their child is really sick and cant be sent. They need to be able to make a living too... There is no one blanket solution of just not sending every child who has a sniffle. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (14-07-2012),Ellewood  (15-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (14-07-2012),share a book  (14-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (14-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    If you work 5 days a week then 10 days sick leave is the bare minimum, 4 days -8 , 3 days -6 etc, it is in the National Employment Standards.
    Yes that's what I've been aware of too. I've never heard of only 3 days for a permanent employee, seems very wrong and illegal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    The current schedule seems to vaccinate for just about every thing. Heb B for newborns? What's that about? (Just repeating myself here but didn't get any bites with the last post...)
    According to the CDC, giving a birth dose of hepatitis B vaccine is a good idea because:
    • it provides 'a "safety net" to prevent perinatal infection among infants born to HBsAg-positive mothers who are not identified because of errors in maternal HBsAg testing or failures in reporting of test results'
    • the birth dose 'provides early protection to infants at risk for infection after the perinatal period'
    • infants who get the birth dose of hepatitis B vaccine have 'higher rates of on-time completion of the hepatitis B vaccine series'
    • it reduces the risk that a child could get hepatitis B later in childhood, even if he isn't at risk now from a mother with hepatitis B, since they could be exposed to another caregiver or family member with hepatitis B
    Most importantly, although young children often have no symptoms when they develop a hepatitis B infection, they are very likely to go on to develop problems with chronic hepatitis. In fact, 90% of children who develop hepatitis before they are 12 months old will go on to develop chronic hepatitis B, for which there is no cure and few reliable treatments.

The alternative to universal immunization and giving the hepatitis B vaccine to all newborns would be to simply target high risk newborns and other people who are at high risk for getting hepatitis B infections. Unfortunately, health experts tried that when the hepatitis B vaccine first came out and it didn't work.
    It wasn't until after the universal immunization program for the hepatitis B vaccine began that the rate of new hepatitis B infections in children began to drop.