+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 331
  1. #221
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    But surely if we are all so community minded, everyone who CAN be vaccinated should be- for the good of the greater community- you know to protect those who can't be vaxed yet- such as babies?

    And all I can say is thank god I didn't listen when they WERE recommending kids get the shot...
    The recommendation was for children to receive a child's dose. This is no longer available. It was removed after some children suffered febrile convulsions which usually have no lasting effect on a child. It was something like 5-7 reactions in 1000 doses given to children under 5 years old. Not a massively high rate but it was still withdrawn, and is NOT on the current schedule for children. I'm not sure what your point is- are you saying we should go against medical advice and vaccinate with every available vaccine regardless of whether it is recommended or required???
    I believe people should vaccinate to schedule. I believe it's for the good of the community. I don't believe it's needful to vaccinate for every possible thing???

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Alimia  (14-07-2012),beebs  (14-07-2012)

  3. #222
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Huh? Sorry beebs u lost me...
    It sounded like you were saying we should vaccinate even when it isn't advised by the medical community - because we are all so "community minded".

    Like atrops says - I vaccinated to scheduel because it is recommended by the medical community.

  4. #223
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,249
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The current schedule seems to vaccinate for just about every thing. Heb B for newborns? What's that about? (Just repeating myself here but didn't get any bites with the last post...)

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (14-07-2012),halloweendee  (14-07-2012)

  6. #224
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They might be looking at the bigger picture, hep b requires 3 shots to work effectively, maybe they are thinking if everyone is vaccinated from birth then they can eridicate the disease.

  7. #225
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,125
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,694
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes izy! That's how I feel!

    Beebs, the point I was making is that some people are saying that non-vaxers are selfish and putting the whole community at risk by not vaxing, and I'm saying that by that logic, we should all really be vaccinating against the flu- anyone who can be- to reduce the spread to other members of the community. By that logic, it would be selfish not to.

    The flu vax that WAS ok for kids, was found not to be ok, and that is a concern, and no doubt a reason why some choose not to vax their kids with newer vaccines. I think (and I am no expert, nor have I claimed to be) a similar thing happened with the rotavirus vaccine either here or o/seas.

    Anyway the whole point I was trying to make from the beginning is that unvaxed kids (and their selfish, irresponsible, free-loading parents) are blamed too often for the outbreaks, when personally I believe more attention needs to be focused on adult boosters.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

    halloweendee  (14-07-2012),Lillynix  (14-07-2012),MissMuppet  (14-07-2012)

  9. #226
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It seems we agree on two things;

    I agree that adults need to be vacinated too and I also understand why people are nervous about the flu vax for children after what happened in perth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Yes izy! That's how I feel!

    Beebs, the point I was making is that some people are saying that non-vaxers are selfish and putting the whole community at risk by not vaxing, and I'm saying that by that logic, we should all really be vaccinating against the flu- anyone who can be- to reduce the spread to other members of the community. By that logic, it would be selfish not to.

    The flu vax that WAS ok for kids, was found not to be ok, and that is a concern, and no doubt a reason why some choose not to vax their kids with newer vaccines. I think (and I am no expert, nor have I claimed to be) a similar thing happened with the rotavirus vaccine either here or o/seas.

    Anyway the whole point I was trying to make from the beginning is that unvaxed kids (and their selfish, irresponsible, free-loading parents) are blamed too often for the outbreaks, when personally I believe more attention needs to be focused on adult boosters.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (14-07-2012),Lillynix  (14-07-2012)

  11. #227
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    The current schedule seems to vaccinate for just about every thing. Heb B for newborns? What's that about? (Just repeating myself here but didn't get any bites with the last post...)
    Of course a newborn won't be partaking in any activities (except if it's passed from mum) to expose themselves to hep B. But the premise of vaxxing is prevention. Hep B takes several months to be protected. Just as there is a small risk of a baby getting meningococcal or tetanus, so is hep b small. but we start the process of protection early to intervene soon enough before they become exposed. There is no point in the vaxx after exposure.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-07-2012)

  13. #228
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Of course a newborn won't be partaking in any activities (except if it's passed from mum) to expose themselves to hep B. But the premise of vaxxing is prevention. Hep B takes several months to be protected. Just as there is a small risk of a baby getting meningococcal or tetanus, so is hep b small. but we start the process of protection early to intervene soon enough before they become exposed. There is no point in the vaxx after exposure.
    I guess people are asking why give it at birth instead of, say, 5 years old.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

    BornToBe  (14-07-2012)

  15. #229
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,125
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,694
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally delay hep b, most kids in our community wouldn't be exposed to it for years, being that in first world countries it's usually spread through sexual contact or blood. I read about it recently that the reason they do it at birth is that *IF* a baby gets it, the outcome is much much worse long term, so protects against that. Also in some areas of the community a child will be exposed to it from an early age (from memory certain migrant populations etc), and the benefits of having it earlier because the risk of baby getting it is high ish. So they made it across the board that babies all get it in hospital. Also MAYBE it is effective for longer if you have it younger- not sure if I have that right or if I'm getting it mixed up. Either way, I think for us the risks of having it at a few hours old outweigh the benefits, but for other kids I can see why it's recommended.

  16. #230
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,315
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked
    6,319
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If we all agree ( and I'm assuming so does the majority of the medical community as the stats prove it) why has the government not put a programme in place for adult vaccination / boosters- the amount of posters/phamplet/press releases in the media and in every hospital and Dr surgery were pushing for childhood pertussis vaccination- not a word about adults , would it not be in the health systems best interest to push this?

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (14-07-2012),Izy  (14-07-2012),Lillynix  (14-07-2012),onionskin  (15-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (14-07-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Need advice - I'm speechless
    By singlemumma82 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 22-02-2012, 19:38
  2. Excuse my ignorance.....
    By PuppyGuts in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-01-2012, 08:54
  3. Speechless...
    By Numb in forum Issues with Family Members
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 18:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Cryosite Family Cord Blood & Tissue Bank
Cryosite has been providing Cord Blood Banking services for over 12 years, and is the trusted choice of Australian families. To discuss the benefits of banking your baby's cord blood & tissue stem cells call us on 1800 220 410.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!