+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope- not the case at all Annabella, I believe in the greater good, I believe in herd immunity, I believe that by not vaxxing you are putting that in jeopardy. I don't live in a little bubble where I will do things that will put others at risk just because it is all about me, me, me. And that is exactly what non vaxxers do.

If we were all in Rwanda - we wouldnt' even be having this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Come on, let's be honest here- most people who vaccinate do so because they believe it will protect THEIR children from disease, it's not for the greater good! Stop trying to make out vaxing parents are martyrs for the poor unvaxed kids of selfish, irresponsible parents!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Artful  (13-07-2012),Ellewood  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Then why bother coming onto the thread? Seriously- if you have nothing to say -then don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I might be totally wrong, but I've read it as, 'they've said it before and are tired of constantly having to justify themselves', rather than just choose not to.

I do agree most people can vaccinate, and I think the stats show most people do vaccinate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You just admitted to not even knowing what you need to be vaccinated and then you suggest people get over themselves and become hermits. Do I even need to point out how ridiculous that is?

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think everyone needs to get over themselves.

People vaccinate or they don't. Stop stressing about it. Even a vaccinated child can contract something they're not supposed to... so even if all children are vaccinated, you're still potentially at risk. And how many adults are vaccinated? I got hte MMR when DD was a baby, but nothing since. I wouldn't even know what I am supposed to be vaccinated against tbh.

There's also plenty a little baby can get which there are no vaccinations to prevent. So honestly, if you're that worried about catching something, it's probably better you and your entire family become hermits anyway.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (13-07-2012),Artful  (13-07-2012),Atropos  (13-07-2012),Ellewood  (13-07-2012),Maybelline  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And, I don't keep my kids away from unvaxxed kid, I believe their vaccinations are protection enough for them. If they do catch something, I am safe in the knowledge that they will get a milder form.

The only problem I have with others not vaxxing is about herd immunity waning. That is all.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (13-07-2012),Guest654  (15-07-2012),Maybelline  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Come on, let's be honest here- most people who vaccinate do so because they believe it will protect THEIR children from disease, it's not for the greater good! Stop trying to make out vaxing parents are martyrs for the poor unvaxed kids of selfish, irresponsible parents!
    Speak for yourself, sister. I vaccinate to protect my child AND the community. You have no evidence to say that the majority of vaccinating parents don't do the same. And whether they like to admit it or not, parents who don't vaccinate have children that reap the benefits of the herd immunity provided by those that do. Call that what you will.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Artful  (13-07-2012),beebs  (13-07-2012),Guest654  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    And, I don't keep my kids away from unvaxxed kid, I believe their vaccinations are protection enough for them. If they do catch something, I am safe in the knowledge that they will get a milder form.

The only problem I have with others not vaxxing is about herd immunity waning. That is all.
    This

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Nope- not the case at all Annabella, I believe in the greater good, I believe in herd immunity, I believe that by not vaxxing you are putting that in jeopardy. I don't live in a little bubble where I will do things that will put others at risk just because it is all about me, me, me. And that is exactly what non vaxxers do.

If we were all in Rwanda - we wouldnt' even be having this conversation.
    Yes as I said SOME vaxers take that into account. But my point is that MOST do it to protect their own children, not in a selfish way, more in a don't-even-think-about-it way, they just go fling with thr status quo. I don't believe it's fair to imply non-vaxers are selfish.

Do u think everyone who doesn't vax against the flu is also selfish?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    And whether they like to admit it or not, parents who don't vaccinate have children that reap the benefits of the herd immunity provided by those that do.
    yeah I do agree..... but I'm ok with that

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012),SassyMummy  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes as I said SOME vaxers take that into account. But my point is that MOST do it to protect their own children, not in a selfish way, more in a don't-even-think-about-it way, they just go fling with thr status quo. I don't believe it's fair to imply non-vaxers are selfish.

Do u think everyone who doesn't vax against the flu is also selfish?
    How can you speak for MOST vaxxers? My GP explained herd immunity to me when I had DD almost 10 years ago. I'm not the only person who vaxxes with more than my own child in mind. Even if you are right (which you have no way of proving) the fact remains that the actions of a parent who vaccinates, despite their motivation, benefits the whole community. The actions of a person who does not vaccinate (of course barring those with medical reasons etc) generally benefit no one at all (even with the purest intention). Their children are at much greater risk of VPDs, at greater risk of severe forms of VPDs, they contribute to lowered herd immunity and potentially put other vulnerable members of our community at greater risk.

Flu is an interesting one. I haven't had a true case of flu for 7 years. People often say they have flu but it's just a bad cold. I started getting flu shots yearly after my last bout, it was hellish. But as we know the flu is always changing and evolving so the efficacy of the vaccine changes each year. Must have a look to see how the rates of actual flu have changed since the vaccine became commonplace.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Artful  (13-07-2012),beebs  (13-07-2012),Ellewood  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    *sigh*

Still wondering if all the people who are not vaxxing their families against the flu each year are also selfish? Its the same thing really...