+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok that's fine but im not going to bother arguing further on that one.

But I will say that the reason you don't need to worry about disease too much in this country is because of all the people who do vaccinate. And I'm sure even the people that can't for medical reasons would agree with that.

That's all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Who wants to come join me on the fence? The thread is a great read and I have popcorn!

On a serious note, people, please, quit judging.

Pro-vaxxers - that person who hasn't vaccinated their child may have a friend/relative who has lost a child or had a child react severely adversly to an immunisation. They have made the decision in the best interest of their child. They do no deserve your judgement or criticism.

Anti-vaxxers - that person who may be a little pushy on the pro-vax debate may have a friend/relative who has lost a child or had a child seriously ill due to a disease for which there is an immunisation. Try to go easy on them - they have made the decision in the best interest of their child. They also do not deserve judgement or criticism.

If we all could show a little more respect and an ability to see other people's points of view, these threads wouldn't resort to the slanging matches they always turn out to be.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012),Izy  (14-07-2012),lones  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    It's as bad as telling a woman she is too posh to push or too lazy to breastfeed etc.
    Completly different. I firmly believe your child, your choices, and people can parent and birth their child however they like. HOWEVER, vaccinating choices affect all of us. Parenting and birth ones you describe don't. When what you do or don't do to your child has a direct impact on the health of others then you have to consider the greater good. And if you choose your own self-interest above the greater good: you are by definition, behaving selfishly.

Tragedy of the commons etc etc

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-07-2012),Ellewood  (13-07-2012),Maybelline  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I see this thread getting closed soon

Quote Originally Posted by PorkyPies View Post
    If your kids are vaccinated would it matter whether they are around unvaccinaed children? Genuine question, I just assume because my DD is vaccinated she's incredibly unlikely to contract anything from an unvaxxed kid..
    yeah I raised that point but I think some are worried about newborns that haven't had their shots. But like I said, I will keep my kids away from any unvaxxed people in that stage and I don't apologise for that.

After they've had their shots I could care less. IMO vaxxes work and so does herd immunity in most cases. No reason to keep my kids away from unvaxxed kids bc mine are safe.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's sensible to keep newborns fairly protected. Although our newborn caught whooping ocugh from our vaxxed child. It's hard, nothing is ever black and white.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012),MissMuppet  (13-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-07-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Parenting and birth ones you describe don't.
    Yes they do, but that's a debate for another thread.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (13-07-2012),share a book  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Ah my bold I read this as no one here has provided a good reason? Then my above reply stands. If you meant name calling see this post...

It's as bad as telling a woman she is too posh to push or too lazy to breastfeed etc.
    How does that effect the community

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I am amazed at this. I vaccinate, but I would never, and I mean NEVER push someone else into doing so. Wow, I don't know what else to say about that.
    I did the same as Lilahh, I requested that everyone who was seeing her before she was vaxxed to get a WC booster. Why? Because I didn't want MY child exposed to a potentially fatal yet preventable disease. I never pushed them to, but if they didn't, they just had to wait until she'd been vaxxed to see her.. I think that's reasonable to expect that people respect my decision to protect her. Why is that so hard to understand?

ETA - No one had a problem doing it, most didn't know they needed a booster

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I see this thread getting closed soon

yeah I raised that point but I think some are worried about newborns that haven't had their shots. But like I said, I will keep my kids away from any unvaxxed people in that stage and I don't apologise for that.

After they've had their shots I could care less. IMO vaxxes work and so does herd immunity in most cases. No reason to keep my kids away from unvaxxed kids bc mine are safe.
    Oh I did the same, kept DD away while she was a newbie and unvaxxed, but now I would feel comfortable enough with her being around unvaxxed kiddies, I just don't understand the mentality of people not wanting their vaxxed kids around unvaxxed kids!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkyPies View Post
    Oh I did the same, kept DD away while she was a newbie and unvaxxed, but now I would feel comfortable enough with her being around unvaxxed kiddies, I just don't understand the mentality of people not wanting their vaxxed kids around unvaxxed kids!

Personally I would and have kept my children away from non vacc'd kids - prob not for the reason you think.

I have a nephew who is immuno surpressed any of the viruses that vacc's are available for would be without a doubt fatal for him. My children are fully vacc'd our immediate and extended (adult) family are all up to date with boosters because of the additional protection it does provide him. I realise my children may still catch them get them at a reduced severity. BUT for us it is about minimizing risk. Statistically he is more likely to catch one of these viruses than the condition that he is afflicted with (they are aware of 6 children globally who have it). IWW are very conscious that for any sniffle my children have it means we can't see him.

My children would be vacc'd anyway if he wasn't sick. I do have friends we don't see now I have explained why and they respect our decision.

So i hope this answers your question why people might keep their kids away