+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    I think with pertussis, it's more a case that if it were available on its own, more otherwise non vaxxers would choose to do that one because they deem the risk of the disease quite high. BUt because it with diptheria and tetanus, they choose not to do it.
    So it is diptheria that people are worried about or tetanus? again, no judgment just genuinely interested. Is it reactions from these?

and I'm hoping they update the WC vaxx soon. It's a very dangerous illness and needs to be brought up to date with current strains and put back on the PBS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    That is what I was thinking!

And, why is it that whenever anyone disagrees with novaxxers someone always calls for the thread to be closed down? And it usually is?

Are we not all adults here? Can we not have differences of opinions and still keep a thread open? I think this thread has been rather interesting myself.
    The problem lies when pro-vaxxers start throwing statements arround suggesting that non-vaxxers are stupid, ignorant, selfish, endangering their children's lives and other general name calling.

Now, that's not to say that non-vaxxers don't name call towards the pro-vaxxers, but in my experience, it happens less often. I've been called some horrendous, hurtful things by pro-vaxxers in the past

So yes, i'm a delayed and selective vaxxer. My 4yo and 2yo had their first vaccinations in March this year and have one more lot to go, until my 2yo turns 4, then he'll have his 4yo booster, they are both being given DTPa (Infanrix-Penta), MMR and Varicella. My 4mo is currently still vaxx free but my almost 6yo is vaxxed per schedule.

For the record, i've never read anything by the AVN, can't stand them, and I don't buy into Autism claims

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (12-07-2012),BabushkaMumma  (12-07-2012),headoverfeet  (12-07-2012),lones  (13-07-2012),Squeegee  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So it is diptheria that people are worried about or tetanus? again, no judgment just genuinely interested. Is it reactions from these?
    I don't know in particular. But I think it's more a case of being worried about the ingredients, possible reactions from *all* vaccines but as parents trying to weigh up the risks vs benefits, I believe that some people would see the chance of contracting pertussis to be higher than the risk of the vaccine - if it were available on it's own. Wow, that was like the longest sentence everrrrrr. A single vaccine seeme less risky than all 3 together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Personally, my thoughts are, Pertussis is rife, I want it's protection, but *at this time* I don't feel that Diphtheria is necessary for *my* children, but if I want Pertussis cover, I have to suck it up and give them a vaccine (Diphtheria), that I currently feel is unnecessary *at this point in time*.

Also, until we moved semi-rural, I wouldn't have wanted Tetanus because the likelihood of contracting it was extremely low, but now we are in an agricultural area, my views changed.

And, I would prefer they didn't have Hep B and polio for same reasons as Diphtheria, but Polio is standard in the Infanrix variations of DTPa, and I wasn't able to give them Infanrix-IPV (the Hep B free vaxx) due to lack of supply, costs and age restrictions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Now, that's not to say that non-vaxxers don't name call towards the pro-vaxxers, but in my experience, it happens less often. I've been called some horrendous, hurtful things by pro-vaxxers in the past
    I do agree it mainly comes from pro vaxxers but we've been called sheep before by a past member who said we were all idiots and believed what the med establishment told us when infact it was all a big conspiracy lol

So it does go both ways.

I concede though, that the vast majority of non vaxxers do not buy into the craziness of the AVN (that group is just all kinds of nuts ). I just see them as loving parents who have made a different risk analysis than me.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (12-07-2012),lones  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I suppose at least you are honest enough to admit that you rely on the rest of us to vaccinate to keep your unvaxxed kids safe. That is more than most non/antivaxxers.

Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    Oh my. Out come the autism, Jenna and AVN generalisations. I wish i could insert the face with the rolling eyes right about *here* but don't know how to do it on my phone.

Like PPs said, if I went to a nation where children were dying from vaxx preventable diseases, I would certainly be getting the Vaxx - *if* I was living there.

In those settings, vaccinations save lives and I'm glad programs are in place to stop the spread of these fast moving diseases. I feel the different environmental factors in comparison to 1st World nations such as movement of people, vaxx rates, living standards, general health and hygiene (don't worry - I'm not using hygiene as a reason for the improved disease rates - but we certainly have it better here than there) play a huge part in spreading the disease, and I feel that we are miles ahead of these nations in these factors.

I have a few reasons why I don't vaxx and I'm not going to go into them all but believe me, my sources do NOT come from the AVN. But one of my main ones is as a consumer of a health product - why can't I go into a Dr's office and develop a plan of individual shots at times of my selection? Why couldn't I request JUST the WC shot at 6 weeks? Why when we take any other type of medication an individual prescription is made for just that patient but I have to accept a one size fits all solution when I have concerns over the relevancy (small example only - polio) of those vax? That irks me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Personally, my thoughts are, Pertussis is rife, I want it's protection, but *at this time* I don't feel that Diphtheria is necessary for *my* children, but if I want Pertussis cover, I have to suck it up and give them a vaccine (Diphtheria), that I currently feel is unnecessary *at this point in time*.

Also, until we moved semi-rural, I wouldn't have wanted Tetanus because the likelihood of contracting it was extremely low, but now we are in an agricultural area, my views changed.

And, I would prefer they didn't have Hep B and polio for same reasons as Diphtheria, but Polio is standard in the Infanrix variations of DTPa, and I wasn't able to give them Infanrix-IPV (the Hep B free vaxx) due to lack of supply, costs and age restrictions.
    Hmmm interesting.

So to the non vaxxers, if they split up the vaxxes to be singular, would you completely or selectively vaxx?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think they should split the vaxxes, if it means more people will be vaxxed against even just one thing like WC -then I think it should be done and done asap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have given Whooping Cough from younger, but the combination was too dangerous so she had to wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think they should split the vaxxes, if it means more people will be vaxxed against even just one thing like WC -then I think it should be done and done asap.
    My thoughts too. I don't hide that I believe the benefits of vaxxing is undeniable. But I think from reading on this forum, many non vaxxers are scared bc there are so many in one shot and are fearful what the combination can do to a young baby. So this may solve the dilemma for some.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (12-07-2012),BabushkaMumma  (12-07-2012),lones  (13-07-2012)