+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Default Need advice for a friend, mchn has told her demand feeding will hurt bub.

I have friend that needs some bottle feeding advice since i have only breastfed I can't help. I was hoping you wonderful ladies could help.

this her problem
    so ds has his maternal health nurse check up today and i was telling her that he likes to eat every couple of hours but only eats between 50 to a max of 75ml, she told me i have to hold him off to feed every 3 hours and to have between 100 and 150ml. so i did that today and he was hysterical, he was crying for an hour so bad, it was so horrible to see him like that cause he has been a great baby and now everything is turned upside down. i googled it and found alot of places say to feed when baby is hungry cause all babies r different and they go through growth spurts. i dont know what to do. i dont wanna see him like that again but i dont want him having issues cause the nurse said its unhealthy for him

and this was her answer to if he was gaining well
    he gained 790g in 2 weeks so gaining well. the nurse said feeding that often is him just grazing and will make him constapated and upset his tummy so i dont know what to do. this has also just upset his night routine and he is so unsettled now __________________

Any advice would be appricated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most of our bubs at work are ff, very few are in a feeding routine, and none of the younger bubs follow a routine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I demand fed DS when he was a younger baby and he eventually got himself into his own feeding routine. Your friend was feeding her DS fine before the chn gave her advice. If he is hungry then he needs to be fed especially if he is hysterical for more bottle Tell your friend she knows her baby best and if she thinks he is hungry then the best thing to do is feed him

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (11-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (11-07-2012),MamaC  (12-07-2012),MissMuppet  (12-07-2012)

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is demand fed. I eat when I'm hungry, so I don't see why he shouldn't. I think if she was comfortable, bubs was happy & healthy, then she should do what works for her

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrabbyCrabby For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (12-07-2012),austmum  (11-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my health nurse told me to wake dd up in the middle of the night to feed her(breast fed mind you) she was gaining weight but not enough apparently (born a 10 pounder) we were in a somewhat routine of demand feeding and it was working so well for us (she was sleeping thru from 2 months)and that first night of me getting up to and feed her ....she didnt wake up lol so i didnt want to wreck a good thing and just did what was best for everybody which in the end sleep is a godsend with a baby and 2 older kids. Screw the health nurses sometimes and im pretty sure this lady was younger then me (im 24) and probly doesnt have kids lol just like my midwife when i had my first ds

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CookieMonsters For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there ,

I FF both kids from birth and they were demand fed 100%. They fed very often , never went longer than a couple of hours for quite a long time .

My kids at that age only drunk about 80 mls and only now at 1 year old is DD drinking around 150 mls per bottle. She's healthy and a good weight .

I still demand feed i guess you could say as DD still night feeds every few hours and DS still has one bottle overnight.

I believe whether breast feeding or bottle feeding , a baby should absolutely be demand fed . The health nurses also advised me of many things like your friend was advised , I would just agree with them but continue doing what I knew was best for my baby .

Good luck to your friend xxoo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you loving6 for asking the question for me. and thanx everyone for the advice, i will go back to demand feeding because it was horrible seeing my DS like that yesterday and me not able to feed him. he is suh a good bub and rarely cries so it felt so wrong upsetting him like that and putting whatever routine we had out of wack. he didnt sleep the same last night and he threw up because 100ml was just too much for him in one go, his tummy felt so bloated too which im sure was very uncomfortable.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beautyqueen For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (12-07-2012),MissMuppet  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stick to what you're doing
    I'm not sure why she told you that advice as it doesn't really matter how often he feeds but the total volume he has taken at the end of the day.
    I'm sorry you had such a bad day
    Stick to what you feel is right, it sounds like he's thriving

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by The sooper nanny View Post
    Stick to what you're doing
    I'm not sure why she told you that advice as it doesn't really matter how often he feeds but the total volume he has taken at the end of the day.
    I'm sorry you had such a bad day
    Stick to what you feel is right, it sounds like he's thriving
    thank you, i will do that. hubby was even in tears last night watching DS like that and in the end it caused stress and a big argument between me and hubby, horrible night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beautyqueen View Post
    thank you, i will do that. hubby was even in tears last night watching DS like that and in the end it caused stress and a big argument between me and hubby, horrible night
    Its hard work being a parent especially when youre getting silly advice but at the end of the day you are doing a great job and you know your bubba

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub