+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Martial arts, ballroom dancing. What age?

I have a question......

I have danced since I was 14yo and have always enjoyed the exercise, socializing and competition.
    I have heard of people enrolling their children at the age of 3. I think that might be a bit too young, what do you think? Is 3 an acceptable age to start your child with ballroom dancing?

My ex was a Sandan (3rd Dan) in Bushido and I used to go along to all his training sessions and classes he ran. He started teaching children from 4yo and up.
    What do you think is an acceptable age for a child to start martial arts?

I am looking at either of these sports for DS to participate in when he is older....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Probably 6 or 7, but I think it's great to start toddler tumbling (gymnastics) from around 3 because that gives them skills and agility to do anything else from there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I started dancing when I was 3 and I loved it!!
    Not ballroom dancing but I did ballet, tap and jazz.
    It depends on the child really. If they want to do it I think it's great but if they're not enjoying it then wait til they are older.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (12-07-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD has been doing Krav Maga since she was 4.
    She wanted to do boxing but I couldn't find a place that took kids under 10. We did a trial hour of Krav and she was hooked on it.
    They teach her to recognise and control her emotions, and teach that fighting is only ever for the mats, which I like.

MIL was insistent that she do "proper girl's things" and took her to ballet lessons, where she cried constantly until she was brought home. Tap and Jazz were also tried, with the same results. After I caught MIL telling her that if she doesn't grow up and act like a girl soon she'll never have a boyfriend, I put my foot down and said no more "proper girls things" until she actually wants to do them, if ever.

If they're willing to do it, go for it. It just gives them more skills for the future that might lead to a career or a lifelong passion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a strong believer of letting DS do what he likes to. My son's father was built like a brick sh!thouse and would've made an awesome rugby player. Yet he played tennis and badminton lol.
    DS is built similarly. Has big muscles and is super strong. Yet if he wants to be a ballerina, oh well, so be it. Can't have a swan lake without blokes dancing too lol.

He already loves playing with dollies, his stroller, having tea parties, etc. His favourite colour is purple right now.
    Dad said he's going to turn gay if I keep getting him girls toys. I dont get him toys, its the toys DS chooses to like playing with.
    I doubt he'll end up gay though. Even if he does end up gay, I wont be too concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I don't think there is anything wrong with him playing with dolls or strollers. My DS loves it too. He has a lot of friends that are girls so naturally sees their toys and wants to play the same.
    I let him do baby boppers last year and he loved it until the end of the year when it got too repetitive for him. Even when they were waving ribbons on sticks I didn't care because he loves breakdancing too.

Also ballet needs more boys

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to teach ballroom dancing, I had the Tiny Tots class that started at 4 years old

12. The Following User Says Thank You to albear For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (13-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had to look up Krav Maga on google as I had no idea what it was. Looks good, but I am a little worried about striking to the most vulnerable body parts. I would hate to see my 12yo kid killing a bully with 1 kick in the groin lol.
    Though Im sure they will get told to keep it off the streets and only really to use it in extremely dangerous situations. Self control is the key with any fight sport/ martial art.

albear, thanks for that. I thought the minimum age would be around the 4-5year mark. I'll see how DS goes with his developmental delays. When he's 4, he might not be quite 4 yet. IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD started ballet (so not ballroom, but same principles i guess!) at the start of this yr as a 4.5yo, and started jiu jitsu last month as an almost 5yo.. She loves both! They only do basic stuff that is age appropriate. Both are great for building confidence, coordination and discipline, I highly recommend both! I also started martial arts (tae kwon do) at the age of 6 or 7, I loved it as a kid and still dabble in muay thai and kickboxing now as an adult... Oh and I dont (and never did as a kid either) go around hitting random people

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (14-07-2012)