+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dropping the bottle

Why is it better to replace bottles with sippy cups once bubba turns one??

How did you get your child to start drinking out of a sippy cup?

Also, is it bad for kids to have a dummy for bedtime passed the age of one? I know there's the orthodontic dummies but DS hates them. He'll only take the cherry shaped dummies.

Is it bad for his teeth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Sugarskull,

I'm not sure about replacing the bottle after bub turns 1 but with my eldest I started to just let him have a try of a sippy cup and see if he could figure out how to use it. I kept up with bottles til he was probably 18 months old and by then he had learnt to drink more out of a cup. I experimented with different cups til I found one that he was reasonably confident with (I ended up with lots of different cups!) and gave him milk or water or diluted juice. He figured it out eventually!

As for the dummy my ds1 had it until he was 3 until the Easter Bunny took it!! He only ever had it at sleep time and I was fairly strict with this (unless sick etc). He has no issues with his teeth and he's nearly 5. My niece on the other hand had the dummy in her mouth 24/7 and only really gave it up before she started school. Her teeth are quite pushed out and I think she will end up needing braces. Her speech was also delayed because of this constant dummy sucking. I think it's fine for bed only past 1 as it was a great comfort to my son. My ds2 is completely different - absolutely HATES the dummy but I'm glad I won't have to get rid of it!!

Hope that helps and good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they say you should switch to a sippy cup around age 1 because any later than that it can be a hard habit to break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 2 and still takes a bottle BUT only for milk he won't drink milk out of a cup every other drink is in a cup... I wish I could hide the bottle and say no more but dd 2 uses a bottle and that just reminds him. I find it funny a boy 100% out of nappies and still has a bottle for bed that's just werid.I so can't wIth till he kicks that habit !

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my ds turned two I decided to drop the bottle and got him to drink his milk ( only had 1 bottle at night at that age) out of a dippy cup. He wasn't impressed with that and decided he didn't want milk anymore. So I really regretted doing that as he now still won't drink milk ( unless it's flavored!). Really don't think it would harm teeth? Same with the dummy if your strict about only using it at sleep time then start weaning him off it soon. I think the only concern would be if he was allowed the dummy too much as I have heard with some kids to cause speech delay/problems at that age

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to have soooo much trouble weaning him off that darn dummy!!! He screams the house down if he can't find it in his cot.

Thanks for your replies ladies.. I'll try giving him his milk in a sippy cup tomorrow morning.
    Wish me luck!!!!! I'll need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We werent quite able to drop bottles at the age of 1, but have just done so now at the age of 2. By one we were down to only 2 bottles a day - afternoon nap and before bed at night and no matter how we tried to cut them gradually we found it quite difficult. Sippy cups werent too much of a problem just switched to water in them instead of a bottle, but we did have to go and buy about 5 different types of sippy cups until we found one she would drink out of.

Originally I stressed that we hadnt got rid of the bottles by 1, but someone told me the main reason they worry is it can be harder to get rid of the older they are and also because some people let bubs go to sleep with the bottle in their mouth and that can decay their teeth over a long period of time. In the end just after she turned 2 we told my daughter that she was now a big girl and no longer needed bottles and we told her she could post her bottles to the bottle fairies to help another baby. We decorated a mailing box and "posted" them off and thats it, she has only asked for them once and we just explained she was a big girl now and could drink out of a big girl cup. We've had no tears or arguments like this.

Once we've been a few months like this we'll lose the dummy in the same way I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS loved his bottle, but at 13 months we stopped it completely an replaced with sippy cup. Twice he cried and refused it at first but a soon as he realized it still tasted the same he was ok, we literally got rid of the bottle within a few days. The dummy however is a different story..... 2.5 and still has one