+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Echogenic focus / soft marker for Down Syndrome in 18 week scan

I have posted a thread about this a while ago and got some great replies.
    But I just like to post this thread again and get some fresh input
    At my 18 week scan, the ultrasound showed a small white spot on the left ventricle of my daughters heart. Its known as calcium deposit or echogenic focus. It is a soft marker for Down Sydrome. According to the doctors, when found alone with no other markers, it does not increase the risk by much, some even debat if it increases the risk at all. Doctors think its very common and theres nothing to worry about especially my NT scan and bloods came back perfect.
    Just like to know if anyone else had experience this before or know anyone who experienced this before and what was the outcome.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure, but if your worried you could always get an amnio test done. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

I had originally replied to that thread.

I'm happy to let you know that my gorgeous DD, whom was diagnosed with a foci in her left ventricle at 20 weeks, was born on the 5/7 and had her echo yesterday and it had completely vanished from her heart.

in talking to the sonographer she said in her 20+ years of scanning babies with foetal diagnosed foci, she has never ever scanned a baby and found a problem.

She said for there to be any concern for a soft marker for downs, they look for a hole in the heart and similar heart concerns, not foci.

I hope you and your pregnancy is going well
    Last edited by itspinkrock; 14-07-2012 at 12:48.