+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default At what age would you teach your child to call 000 in emergencies?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/849...-his-dads-life

This news article really got me thinking. My 5 year old doesn't yet know to call 000 in emergencies. He can be a little immature at times, so I would be worried that he would prank call, not realising the seriousness of doing so.

He spends a lot of time at his grandma's house, who has heart conditions and diabetes, she lives alone. A few times her sugar levels have dropped so fast and so low that her body shuts down, and she is unable to communicate or get to the phone to call for assistance, and she has gotten close to being comatose. DS has not been present yet during these hypo's, but it does concern me that one day it might happen with him there, or that some other medical emergency will arise.

For those who have taught their children to call 000 in emergencies, how have you instilled it in your child to call in emergencies only?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sons are 5 and 3.5yo and I have explained to them both that if I was badly hurt or unconscious (I've explained that would be like I'm asleep but can't be woken), then they need to call 000 and tell them our address.

I am 98% sure my 5yo could and would do it, no problems. But my 3yo, I don't think so yet...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I taught my ds from age 3 how to call 000 . I also taught him our phone number and if his clothes caught fire to drop and roll.

He had to call an ambulance for me aged 9 so he knew exactly what to do.

I was never worried about him prank calling,I explained it was for emergency use only..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Laksa View Post
    My sons are 5 and 3.5yo and I have explained to them both that if I was badly hurt or unconscious (I've explained that would be like I'm asleep but can't be woken), then they need to call 000 and tell them our address.
    That's another issue as well, DS doesn't know our address or his grandma's address...but they can trace if need be, yeah?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I started talking to her about police, fire and ambulance at 2 like I do in my job, then taught her how and when to call them at 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 4 and we have taught him. We even have let him call Oma to teach him how to use the phone. He doesn't know our number but full name and address

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've been having this discussion wtih DS recently. Instead of saying "in an emergency" i've just used something more specific and told him that if Mummy falls down (which would be the most likely scenario) and I don't move or I seem asleep then you need to go to the phone and press the green button and 000. He knows our address as well. We've also started practicing using the phone so I give him my parents phone number (and warn them) and he's allowed to phone them (so he knows how to use the phone). Of course I don't know if he would actually do it in an emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    From about the age of three.

Every time a letter comes in show him the address on it. When hiu go for a walk show him the street numbers on house etc and prompt him to remember yours, show him street signs and prompt him to remember your etc etc

Kids only learn addresses by repeating it over and over again - the same won't phone numbers

We have a list of phone numbers on the wall next to the phone - starting with the home phone number.

I understand you feel he's too immature, but seriously the authorities understand little kids doing this and they understand that this is the 'cost' for having some pretty amazing incidences where a kid calling 000 has saved lives.

We started with role play - talking the kids through Nanna/Grandma not waking up and all what they are supposed to do.

We've also planned and practiced a fire evacuation - we do this twice a year at daylight savings, and my kids are now old enough that we even talk about first aid like CPR and putting people into the recovery position and calling 000.

Kids are brilliant in if taught how to react in an emergency - their capacity for clear headedness is amazing. They are less likely to panic if taught what to do than if left to flounder in their own.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    From about the age of three.

Every time a letter comes in show him the address on it. When hiu go for a walk show him the street numbers on house etc and prompt him to remember yours, show him street signs and prompt him to remember your etc etc

Kids only learn addresses by repeating it over and over again - the same won't phone numbers

We have a list of phone numbers on the wall next to the phone - starting with the home phone number.

I understand you feel he's too immature, but seriously the authorities understand little kids doing this and they understand that this is the 'cost' for having some pretty amazing incidences where a kid calling 000 has saved lives.

We started with role play - talking the kids through Nanna/Grandma not waking up and all what they are supposed to do.

We've also planned and practiced a fire evacuation - we do this twice a year at daylight savings, and my kids are now old enough that we even talk about first aid like CPR and putting people into the recovery position and calling 000.

Kids are brilliant in if taught how to react in an emergency - their capacity for clear headedness is amazing. They are less likely to panic if taught what to do than if left to flounder in their own.
    Brilliant advice, thank you!!

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD has been calling emergency since she was almost three.

She's had to learn early; I have uncontrolled, severe epilepsy, and DH was cramming in studying and working. Alone at home with me, she's the only one who could help me.

I actually wrote a 'teach your young child to call emergency services' tutorial for an epilepsy booklet once and I'd be happy to make a thread about it if you need it.

On a traditional seizure time; I collapse, she goes to the phone we bought specially for the that purpose near the front door, and calls the ambulance using the guideline poster next to the phone.
    She waits with me until they arrive, usually I 'come to' and she's sitting next to me colouring or playing. I wait where I am {if I'll stay down; having a seizure totally addles your brains, so sometimes you get up and wander off. It's like waking up from a fever sleep}
    When they arrive they knock on the door, and if I'm still lying down she opens the door with the snib on to check they're uniformed, then closes the door, takes the snib off, lets them in, hands them my folder off the side table, and shows them where I am. Then as we're all heading out she gets her Hospital Bag off the hook near the door {it's a small satchell with crayons, a small notepad, a poptop drink and some bagged snacks} and follows them.
    Oh and don't forget the step where she tells them that all brave girls get lollipops and a bear

By the time I'm in the ambulance I can answer questions coherently and have a clear idea of what's gone on.

It's sad that she's had to learn, but at least if she's home with me I'm safe.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (11-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (14-07-2012)