+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I got the ns u/s and blood tests. Not because I was 33, would abort or anything like that. But because I am a worrywart and a planner. If I didn't have the tests I would worry throughout my whole pregnancy. If bubs did have Downs I would have preferred to know in advance so I could research and check out support resources before the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was wondering in particular about people who had a less positive result. Are you glad you had the test? Or would you have preferred to not know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose not to have it done, I knew I wouldn't terminate under any circumstances or for any abnormality, and if it was something that was incompatible with life, i'd let nature take its own course. I also wouldn't do an amnio because of risks to the baby, so the best a nt scan could give me is a risk level - I wouldnt get a definite answer anyway without an amnio, so it would not alleviate worry at all for me, and I couldn't prepare myself mentally for an abnormality if I wasnt even sure if the baby had a problem anyway - it would really only serve to cause me more worry while I wait to give birth to find out if something was wrong. I figure that I will hope that everything is ok when bubs is born, and if it isn't, I would deal with it when the time comes.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (11-07-2012),Annabella  (13-07-2012),Buttoneska  (11-07-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post
    I was wondering in particular about people who had a less positive result. Are you glad you had the test? Or would you have preferred to not know?
    not a direct answer, but we had decided that if my risk was anythign close to high/borderline/not ideal we would proceed with an amnio.

I dont actually know what that would mean result wise - my results for downs - 1:32,000 and tri 18 was 1:65,000 i think. like i said my friend has 1:16 for downs - so im not sure what 'middle ground/not great' is?
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 11-07-2012 at 21:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    not a direct answer, but we had decided that if my risk was anythign close to high/borderline/not ideal we would proceed with an amnio.

I dont actually know what that would mean result wise - my results for downs - 1:32,000 and tri 18 was 1:65,000 i think. like i said my friend has 1:16 for downs - so im not sure what 'middle ground/not great' is?
    Sorry, I guess I meant a 'negative' result/high risk. I was cautious with language because it's a number/risk level, not an actual diagnosis.

But it's a good point and one I have been considering in terms of where people would draw the line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I chose not to have it done, I knew I wouldn't terminate under any circumstances or for any abnormality, and if it was something that was incompatible with life, i'd let nature take its own course. I also wouldn't do an amnio because of risks to the baby, so the best a nt scan could give me is a risk level - I wouldnt get a definite answer anyway without an amnio, so it would not alleviate worry at all for me, and I couldn't prepare myself mentally for an abnormality if I wasnt even sure if the baby had a problem anyway - it would really only serve to cause me more worry while I wait to give birth to find out if something was wrong. I figure that I will hope that everything is ok when bubs is born, and if it isn't, I would deal with it when the time comes.
    This is kind of where we're at. We tried for over 2.5yrs for this bub and had a loss in January. We're just not sure that we are comfortable ending our pregnancy and might just let the universe decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ABigDeepBreath,
    I know I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little late but in reply to those with a high risk result, 'are you glad you had the test?' My answer is yes, now but at the time when I received my results, no . I was 28, very fit and active. I got a result of 1:64 for down syndrome. This was due to my blood work, not my son's nuchal fold. I did have the amnio done as I needed to know. My son did not have a chromosomal disorder.

I do think that I would have the test done again for subsequent pregnancies; however, it did cause me a lot of stress in between the ultrasound and my amnio (3 weeks). As someone did mention, it is a screening test, it doesn't give you a definitive answer and I did at times regret having it done during my long wait.

I hope this helps, I was lucky to have a positive outcome, while I was waiting and stressing I trolled through as many threads as I could about people in the same position. There were lots of other positive outcomes and there were also quite a few whose babies did have chromosomal disorders. Some people terminated their pregnancies and some continued. I suppose I didn't really think about the decisions I would have to face when I had the NT test done, to me it was described as a fairly routine test, I'm guessing as my age was not really a risk factor.

A little info for you about what is considered high risk, from memory, I think if your risk ratio is under 1:300 you are considered high risk. If your ratio is less than 1:100 then a local hospital will conduct an amnio free of charge, anything above and you need to get it done yourself. The ratio is combination of age, fold & blood work which gives you your score. Being over 34 gives you a high risk but when combined with a good nuchal fold and a good blood result your ratio gets bumped back up. In terms of drawing the line, if I got another high risk ratio again I would have another amnio.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My SIL just had a little girl with Down's Syndrome, she's 35. She had the NT test and the result was 1:300 and labelled low risk so she thought nothing more of it. Finding out at the birth was a shock for her though and she would have preferred to know in advance. She would not have aborted anyway but would have preferred the heads up. This is a woman who can take anything in her stride. She will cope very well with the extra demands. She has four other children. I'm not sure how things could have been different though because she was not offered amnio because of the 'low' result. It is really tricky. My other SIL had a result just into high risk (close to 1:250). She refused the amnio, worried the whole pregnancy and there was no problem in the end. I think I will just have the NT test and weigh up from there what to do based on the result.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

Can they tell at the 19 weeks scan if the baby has downs?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    as far as i know it is not something they can pick up at any scan?

they can only measure the nt fold at 12wks as a soft marker and then the bloods which combine for the risk factor.

there is another blood test they can do in 2nd trimester but don't know what teh details are.