+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nuchal translucency - To test or not to test?

Hi! I saw my Ob today at 10.5 weeks and had a 'reassurance scan' due to previous miscarriage. He talked us through the process with genetic testing and the advantages and disadvantages to this. He gave us some very important things to consider -
    • What would we do if we get a not-so-positive NT result, (bearing in mind that they are not very accurate)?
    • Would we want to go through an amnio (invasive and risk of miscarriage)?
    • What would we do after that if the outcome is negative?
    He mentioned that he frequently sees patients extremely distressed over results and the decision that they are then faced with when in fact the likelihood of the feared outcome is far less than the likelihood of everything being fine.

We really need to reflect on and discuss this some more, but I would really value input from others regarding how you made your decision to test or not, and if you were happy with that decision.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and I'm 33 years old. No spring chicken for a first bub as far as I am concerned, but OB considers me to not be in the 'high risk' age range for chromosomal problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the nt scan with my DD just so my husband and I could see , well worth it IMO. But it's entirely up to you, they give you a risk factor. Mine was 1:20,000 and my step nephew has autism and my neice had club feet so we wanted to make sure all was ok. Hope this helped! Good luck and I am sure everything will be fine, don't stress about amnio unless you are told you need to have it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ally3012 For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ally,
    Was it your first scan? Is that what you meant by wanting to see? Or did you specifically want to know the risk? We've seen our bub in two scans already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't tested for any of mine. I was 22 when preg with my first and now 32 preg with my last. I decided not to because if any of my kids had Downs I would not terminate, and most of the other things they test for (as far as I know) are incompatible with life, so I would most likely let nature take its course in that case, and find out at the 19 week scan anyway. I didn't want to get a 'high risk' result, and then have to decide whether to get the amnio, which I most likely wouldn't have had (due to risk of miscarriage), and then be stressing about it for the rest of the pregnancy.

I also think my husband would possibly want to terminate if any of them had chromosomal abnormalities, and I absolutely wouldn't, so rathered if we just didn't know as I know once they were born he would love them however they were. I didn't want to have that argument and would feel heartbroken knowing he didn't want our child.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have not had it with any of my 5, I prefer to have as fewer tests and prcedures as possible

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. It's helpful to hear about others' thoughts on this.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we always knew we would do the NT scan and blood test to get our risk factors.

for us I am anxious person and wanted to know.

we had already decided that if results where 'high risk' we would get an amnio and if amnio showed a major problem we would probably terminate.

we also had in our mind that would consider termination for major issues up to our 20wk scan (which is the main scan to check development)

after that we would 'go with the flow' and not intervene with excessive testing as we would probably not terminate.

i was thankful that our risks came back low and our 20wk scan showed no huge issues - he has slightly dilated kidneys which could mean some kidney problems post birth and is also a soft maker for downs. It is a bit scary not knowing 100% but my risk where low and we have now decided that what is meant to be will be for us (since we were past the 20wk scan).

Good luck with your decision its totally up to you guys.

I have a friend who says she wil never test because regardless she wouldn't terminate.

I have another friend who says she will test but not terminate or do amnio - but if she is showing high risk she will mentall prepare that it could go that way.

I have another friend who risk came back 1:16, she didn't do amnio because she didn't want to risk m/c but she used that time to research adn set up a great support network etc. Bub was born about 2 mths ago and he is downs. She is doing really well and feels that having the time during pregnancy to adjust has made all the difference.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (11-07-2012),Chazrity  (11-07-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    oh and I was told that there is a blood test you can have in 2nd tri around 16-18wks maybe in case you miss/don't do the 'regular test'.

maybe discuss with your dr about this one too so you can have a full idea?

I think as well that if your risk is high at 12wks, then you have to wait until 16-18wks for the amnio?? not sure??

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My first pregnancy, I didn't test, as I was happy to let nature take over. I did have the morph scan.

For all subsequent pregnancies, I have tested. A special needs baby can be demanding. It was best for us to weigh up our options, decide on the outcome, and go from there. It's not about just terminating, it's about preparing for a special needs child and the impact it can have on existing children and family dynamics.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post: