+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do you think i should study

So i've haven't been working since DD1 was born in feb '09' and i'm planning on staying home until DD2 starts school in 2016 so i would love to start studying something to keep my mind sharp. I already have a diploma in childrens services so a group leader in a daycare centre or a kindy assistant. as much as i would love to study teaching i don't think we can afford it at this stage. I love kids, animals, i also don't think i'd mind doing admin kind of work just don't know what to study so i thought i'd ask you if you have any bright ideas for me.

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think study what you are passionate about. is there any way you can organise a day's volunteer work somewhere, just to see how it 'feels'?
    eg. animal shelter, school/kindy help etc.

there are also career counsellors at tafe and other colleges to help you choose. the fact you already have qualifications is great, maybe just use that and branch out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never thought about trying some volunteer work. the problem with my quals is i'm not sure where to go from here the next step up is to do my advanced diploma but you need to be working as far as i know to do that and it isn't really something i want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could u do teaching but pay it on hecs ? Teaching is amazing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you study Early Childhood Education? It is a 4 year (when done full time) degree that qualifies you for childcare, kindergarten & school teaching. I'm fairly certain that you would only have to do the final 2 years of the degree because you already have the diploma, so this would make it cheaper for you. You're already halfway to completing an early childhood teaching degree with your diploma qualifications, so it would be a good path to continue down if you are interested in teaching!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea i did think about doing teaching but was under the impression that it would still take me 4 or so years to do early childhood teaching. do you know where i can go to get more information? i would love to be a kindy teacher but thought that might have been out of my reach for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've worked in childcare and always felt drawn to working with kids and/or their families.
    I'm currently studying social work off campus part time and absolutely loving it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm studying a Bachelor of Early Childhood Education through OUA (The course is provided by Curtin Uni). It is a four year degree full time but I'm sure with your qualifications you could apply for RPL for some units. I'm not paying anything upfront, and you don't have to make repayments until you're earning at least $40,000. Give OUA a call if you think you might be interested, I found them really helpful when I was making enquiries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I studied at UniSA, and the 4 year Early Childhood Education students who had done their diploma first only had to do the final 2 years of the degree, so maybe you could look on the unisa website, and see if there is anyone you could contact regarding what you do need to do to get teaching quals and what is available in your state? I think there is a uni in Melbourne that also does early Childhood, and I'm sure some of the distance education uni's should do something in early Childhood too... Sorry, I don't k.ow anywhere exactly that does it apart from unisa!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone for all the info it is something to i am going to look into tomorrow if it would be the final 2 years of the course its definately something i would love to do. i will let you know how i go