Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How important is tummy time?

as my daughter HATES it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried using tummy time mat with support pillow. My ds didn't love it either but i found he would last a lot longer while using this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD2 hated tummy time. She had terrible reflux and would just put her head down and scream. At about 9 months we got serious about doing it daily, since she hadn't rolled yet. She had fantastic core strength and could sit up from 6 months and was quite happy to sit all day.
    At 11 months she finally rolled, and within 2 weeks she was crawling, pulling herself up and cruising the furniture. She walked at 14 months.
    There are other ways to do tummy time than just being on the floor. Laying on their tummy along your forearm or laying tummy to tummy with you on a coach, etc. anything that helps with developing the strength of their neck muscles.
    HTH

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-07-2012),lovesushi  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS wasn't overly fond of tummy time but loved being put on his belly over one of those fit balls and gently rolled forward and back - especially in front of a mirror - he thought it was great fun! My Chiro suggested it as another way to do tummy time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's reasonably important to try to keep baby off laying flat on their back all day - because it can cause a flat spot on the back of their heads. And to encourage them to exercise different muscles.

But tummy time "counts" even if it's on your chest on the couch, or nudey time getting a massage before or after bath time. And if she really hates it then just try to avoid too much time on her back during awake times by carrying bub in a carrier.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very important. as it is leads to other 'steps' ie helps neck strength, arm strength. Lead to then getting shoulders up, then later to crawling etc. Physio stressed how improtant it is and how many kids now miss out due to sleeping on back ( also this is important SIDS). Mine hated it too but due to low muscle tone and hypermobility she really needed it. As others have said there are other ways. Physio told me to put a rolled up towel under her armpits so she was not 'face planted' so to speak. Also lying baby on your lap or on your arm . Another is sitting with your knees up with bub on your legs or alt chest, thus they are lying on tummy and getting strength and bubs can look at mummy so happier. There is probably more but can't think at moment....going away tomorrow for a week. But yes look at alternatives...my 3 all hated it, but we worked around it. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long should tummy time go for total everyday?

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ou DD hated tummy time she also had extremely bad colic and reflux. I never laid her down on her stomach as that was painful for her and she would just scream. So what we started doing was laying on the lounge and laying her tummy down on our chests. We would do this several times a day. And because it was on our chests she was always on an angle so the reflux didn't cause grief.

It worked perfectly. Even the Health nurse said its fine to do.

DD is now 10 months old and stands up, walks un aided for a few steps, pushes her toy walker around all day long, cruises on furniture, crawls like a legend and very fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry cant post link as on my phone but if you google janet lansbury tummy time the article will come up.
    She advocates allowing babies to learn to roll onto their tummies naturally and not do tummy time as its actually not a natural position for a baby to be in thats why they don't like it.
    Didn't do tummy time with ds2 and he crawled at six months and is almost walking at nine.
    Trust your baby, they know they don't need it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Me&MrMagoo  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouNeedIsLove View Post
    Sorry cant post link as on my phone but if you google janet lansbury tummy time the article will come up.
    She advocates allowing babies to learn to roll onto their tummies naturally and not do tummy time as its actually not a natural position for a baby to be in thats why they don't like it.
    Didn't do tummy time with ds2 and he crawled at six months and is almost walking at nine.
    Trust your baby, they know they don't need it
    that's my thought - if they don't like it it's not comfortable so trust them and find alternative ways to still encourage their neck strength etc

and some babies do like it though. katelyn prefers to be on her tummy because she can lift her head and look around. other babies just love to chill and snooze if they have tummy time. so yeah, can go either way.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub