+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blocked duct - or swelling?

I get recurrent blocked ducts if i'm silly and don't drink enough water... and guess what i did when i got the flu. Anyway felt the familiar pin pricking and sure enough a lump had appeared in the top outer of my boob, so i did my usual method to get rid of it which is to feed bub in football hold and hold pressure behind the duct. I got it down to a small lump near my nipple by the time he'd finished feeding, so took an ibuprofen to reduce any swelling and hoped i'd have it cleared by the next morning (this was in the evening and he still feeds throughout the night, he's 4 months old).

But the next morning i didn't seem to be able to get rid of the small lump, although the pain was gone, and every so often the top part of my boob where the duct was got engorged again. It would go softer with a feeding but not go entirely. I've kept drinking water, taken lecithin 3 times daily, taken ibuprofen on and off to help with swelling, used a hot compress, massaged while pumping etc but can't get my boob completely soft again. Bub takes the usual amount of time feeding on that side.

My question is, could it be swelling due to the original blocked duct and exacerbated by my attempts to massage it out? The reason i think the original blocked duct has cleared is that there is no pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not saying it is but I had mastitis 5 times while breastfeeding my ds. Each time all I had was a lump/red mark with no pain.

Probably best to get it checked by doctor, just to be sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! I didn't realise you could get mastitis without any pain.

I'll keep a watch on it for a few days, and if there's no improvement i'll get off to the doc. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happymum2, did you have a temperature with the mastitis?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes but i didn't realize (the first time) until doctor check. It was never really high usually low 38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Champagne,

I also get recurrent blocked ducts. Such a bore!

I don't know what's going on with your boob, (or mine either! lol), but I'd suggest you just keep treating as though it's blocked, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has cleared and the lump is just a remnant which will go soon if you keep treating.

Often ill think I've dealt with the blockage, and I have, but there must still be some calcified milk somewhere in the ductal pathways that will build back up if I get slack on treating. It's such a delicate balance between treating blocked ducts effectively and causing more problems through massage and inflammation!

How did you work out that your water intake was connected to your blockages?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lissy,

It's a pain isn't it! I'm just thankful none of them have (yet) turned into mastitis.

The one I posted about I think was the remnants of the blockage, as it got almost better then came back again. I managed to clear it entirely only to have one appear in the other side! Got rid of that one quickly.

I think you're right in that we need to treat them as though they are about to block, checking they're emptying evenly at each feed etc.

I linked it to lack of fluids as each time one has developed, usually in the evening, its been a day where I've thought to myself that I haven't drunk much and really should drink more or I'll get a blocked duct. And then, voila! Doesn't happen every time but there does seem a strong link.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne View Post
    Hi Lissy,

It's a pain isn't it! I'm just thankful none of them have (yet) turned into mastitis.

I linked it to lack of fluids as each time one has developed, usually in the evening, its been a day where I've thought to myself that I haven't drunk much and really should drink more or I'll get a blocked duct. And then, voila! Doesn't happen every time but there does seem a strong link.
    It is such a pain!! None of mine have turned into mastitis either. A GP/LC that I saw said something interesting to me. She said that given my history (i.e. frequent blockages and some that have lasted 4 days!), if I haven't had mastitis by now, I am very unlikely to get it. She said I obviously have good resistance to that type of infection. It took one of the weights off my mind! Perhaps you're the same?

One of my main issues with blocked ducts is that the almost always occur in my left. And when I get even a moderate blockage in the left, I struggle with let down and then send my body the wrong messages re supply/demand. I'd really like to know why I always get them in my left?! Lately I've been wondering if it's something to do with the milk openings in my left nipple. When I hand express the right, the milk shoots out in all directions. When hand expressing from left, it's quite a different story. I don't know if I'm onto something here, and I can't find information to this effect on internet...I hope it doesn't happen with my next pregnancy.

I'm going to keep your theory on fluids in mind and see how I go. I will drink 6 litres a day if it keeps me free from plugs!

I hope you remain mastitis-free!